Crackdown 3's Destruction-Heavy Multiplayer Mode Still In Development

Don't worry, you can still blow things up.

News by Matt Kim, .

Crackdown 3 has gone off the radar. Aside from a quick, Terry Crews starring trailer at E3 2018 there was no peep of Crackdown 3. Now we know that Sumo Digital is the sole developer on the game after the departure of Cloudgine and Reagent, but the destruction-focused multiplayer mode is still in development despite the mystery surrounding the game's cloud tech.

When Crackdown 3 was announced in 2015, series creator Dave Jones returned to help develop the game with his new companies Reagent and Cloudgine. The latter in particular would use its cloud technology to help power the destruction in the game. At the time, cloud technology would make it so that players could destroy a building piece by piece.

However, Cloudgine was purchased by Epic Games earlier this year, and Jones departed to head up cloud and esports strategies at Epic. This left Crackdown 3's cloud-powered future in doubt. At E3 2018, Microsoft Studios head Matt Booty confirmed that Sumo Digital was taking lead on Crackdown 3, but the destructive multiplayer was still in-development.

"It is still part of [Crackdown 3]," Booty told Polygon at E3. "We're not showing a lot of details about that here. We'll have more to show as the year goes one."

When asked about Cloudgine and the cloud tech Booty was less straightforward. "You know, we're super lucky as part of Microsoft that we get to work so closely with the Xbox platform team, that the cloud shows up in all of our games in pretty exciting ways." When pushed for clarification Booty said, "You know, I'm not going to get into the actual technical breakdown. Let's just say that we've got access to a great infrastructure, and the game's got some great tech in it."

So, while Cloudgine's specific role in Crackdown 3 is up-in-the-air, the game appears to retain its focus on destructive environments. Whether it will use Microsoft's proprietary cloud tech, or something else is left to be seen.

Crackdown 3 was officially delayed until 2019, after a delay to 2018. The game's status is still unknown and we haven't seen much of it since last year. For more on Crackdown 3 check out our complete Crackdown 3 guide for the latest news.

Sounds like everything has gone balls up.
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #2 Captain-Gonru 28 days ago
    Let me know when it's ready. My money will be here waiting.
    It sounds to me like the “cloud powered destruction” was one of those features that was just way too ambitious for the developers to actually pull it off. Not the first time a game enters development hell for such a reason, but it suck for the Crackdown fans who were expecting this game.
    Astonishing diversion and I'm happy to hear that they rolled out monstrous improvements in its new refresh with Fortnite Easter egg launcher and candy machines in Fortnite and you just get essay to go writing service to manage your task. So you should to continue posting these sorts of astonishing articles particularly about the recreations.
    This is my favorite game and you guys make it look perfect.
    I do have a lot of university courseworks to write.
    But my every free minute I enjoy playing this game
  • Avatar for Vanguardianator #6 Vanguardianator 27 days ago
    I'm not ready to believe all the good stuff said about AAA games these days. unless I see a decent single-player experience, I'm not into it. With the recent commercialization trend, I get extremely jaded. remember Battlefront 2? Bioware making Anthem? How about Facebook introducing paid subscriptions? Right. Consumer beware. All the way.
  • Avatar for ericspratling56 #7 ericspratling56 26 days ago
    I can't believe there are still people who fall for the ridiculous conspiracy theory that Crackdown 3 is ever actually going to be released.

Comments