Deep Silver is Publishing Shenmue III

Forklifts will be involved somehow, some way.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

The highly-anticipated Shenmue III is going through some growing pains, but here's some news that ought to smooth out the game's journey to the finish line: It has a publisher now.

Deep Silver is doing the 'deed, same as it's done for Persona 5 and the upcoming Yakuza Kiwami. As long as we don't get any cringe-inducing ads about Ryo crying like an anime fan on prom night, there's no reason to believe Deep Silver isn't up to the job. Yeah, Mighty No. 9 flashbacks are going to follow me into the grave.

"God, we're sorry about that ad. We really, truly are."

"We are proud to have gained a wonderfully reliable partner to make sure Shenmue III reaches all its fans all over the planet," states an entry made today on the official Shenmue III blog.

Shenmue III is due out in the latter half of 2018, and it's targeted for the PC and PlayStation 4. Why not warm up with some Yakuza games in the meantime?

Why is Deep Silver publishing if Sony ponied up the money to finish Shenmue III?
    @SIGGYZtar Not a hundred percent sure but I am guessing Deep Silver will handle the distribution costs, Sony put money in part to get console exclusivity and use the name to hype up their E3 presentation. They get the hype but don't have to deal with the pains related to actually selling the game.

Really hoping this turns out well, the franchise and it's fans shouldn't have to suffer a shoddy game to tarnish and effectively bury the franchise.
    Will there be sword combat? God I hope so because what was the point of the sword. Oh and arm wrestling and duck races and forklifts too. Since it's rural china can we get horses or something, I guess a bike is possible but I can't remember riding one in two. Well if we don't get any of that I will for sure be crying like an anime fan on prom night. ( do other anime fans like proms? I sure don't.)
    @shurn I went to my prom, but it was a really easy-going event. They played Rasputin.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #5 Funny_Colour_Blue 10 months ago
    ...I always thought the "Like an Anime Fan on Prom Night" was because, Anime Fans would rather be anywhere, but at Prom Night:

At my highschool we avoided Prom; having to rent out an abandoned church just so 13 people could dance was a pretty depressing ordeal - we vouched for the school's 2 week trip to New York instead.Edited 2 times. Last edited August 2017 by Funny_Colour_Blue
    @SIGGYZtar Sony didn't give a cent towards the development, they're only promoting it in the same way they do a lot of their console exclusives: marketing. Deep Silver seem to be picking up SEGA's slack in a few regions so this deal makes sense.

Technically there was no publisher for the PS4 version before this point, and they would've needed the cash to finish the project seems as though it was delayed for 12 months (and the budget was tiny to begin with).

Comments