Someone really needs to hire me as a cynical prophecy fulfiller. Just days after I scolded the Internet for getting excited over a perceived Diablo 3 tease for the Nintendo Switch, our comrades at Eurogamer reveal Diablo 3 probably is coming to the console / handheld.
"Eurogamer sources have told us that yes—the project is very much in production," writes Eurogamer news editor Tom Phillips. "And as you might expect, the game will be a port of Diablo 3.
"Our sources could not confirm whether the game's Reaper of Souls and Rise of the Necromancer expansions will be included—but at this point it would be surprising if they were not."
To recap: Late last week, Blizzard tweeted a video of someone switching a Diablo night light on and off. The video is accompanied by the words "Sweet dreams." When Twitter went ape, Blizzard said it was just sharing footage of a cool nightlight. " "We can assure you we're not that clever," a spokesperson for Blizzard told Polygon via email. "[It was] meant to be a fun community engagement piece. We have nothing to announce."
Sweet dreams. pic.twitter.com/tZvCnjjzWb— Blizzard Entertainment (@Blizzard_Ent) February 28, 2018
Ah, but Blizzard's denial might be a ruse, which makes the company … double-clever. Eurogamer's sources admit they're surprised the tease arrived so early, since "the game's reveal remains several months off." Eurogamer asked Blizzard for a new statement, and Blizzard says it has nothing to add.
Maybe we'll learn more at E3 2018. If Eurogamer's sources come through and we end up getting Diablo 3 on the Switch, I'm going to start a service that shoots down people's game-related dreams in hopes they might actually come true. Like, oh, let's try this: "A Final Fantasy VI remake in the visual style of Octopath Traveler? Yeah, right! Not in a billion years, internet."