Disney Interactive has announced the timeline for shutting down Disney Infinity's services following the news that production on the game has ceased. The unfortunate news is that without online, all of the user-created Toy Box content saved online is going away and those creations can no longer be shared. Users can download their saved Toy Box content from the cloud to their home consoles though.
Even worse, the PC, Android, and iOS versions of Disney Infinity will be losing support on September 30, 2016, making them completely unplayable. Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions follow the same path on March 3, 2017. It's a shame that Disney is removing the ability to play those games and that it can happen at all is one of the bigger issues with online-enabled gaming.
Here's the full timeline:
As of July 29, 2016
- No in-game purchases can be made within the PC, Steam version of Disney Infinity 2.0, iOS, Google Android, Amazon Android and Apple TV versions of the game as this feature has now been removed
- You can continue to make in-game purchases within the Steam version of Disney Infinity 3.0.
As of September 30, 2016
- You will no longer be able to log in to play the PC, iOS, Google Android and Amazon Android versions of Disney Infinity, these will no longer be available on the respective app stores
- The Steam versions of Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0 will remain operational with the exception of all online services and community features as these will be discontinued
- Apple TV versions of Disney Infinity will be removed from the AppStore
- The Disney Infinity Community team will no longer be reviewing or approving any new Toy Boxes that are submitted to Disney for all console, mobile and PC versions of the game. However if you are playing on any console, Apple TV or Windows 8/10 versions of the game, you can continue to download your favorite Toy Boxes from the Community Content section until March 3, 2017
As of January 3, 2017
- No in-game purchases can be made within the Windows 8/10 versions of the game as this feature will be removed
As of March 3, 2017
- Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions will no longer be available, supported or playable
- All Disney Infinity online services and community features for all versions will be discontinued