Don't Let Dragon Quest XI Slip Through the Cracks

If this lovely JRPG doesn't make its mark on Western audiences, not even the Rescue Rangers will be able to save my broken heart.

Opinion by Nadia Oxford, .

New entries in long-lived JRPG series—think Final Fantasy, Persona, and Dragon Quest—are the Halley's Comet of video games. They enter our line of vision, cause a big ruckus for a while, then fly away from us until the cycle repeats years later.

Now it's Dragon Quest's turn to enter our atmosphere again. Finally. The last mainline entry English-speakers received in the series was 2009's Dragon Quest IX for the Nintendo DS. Dragon Quest X, an MMO, missed us. In fact, it's been 14 years since the last mainline console Dragon Quest game, Dragon Quest VIII for the PlayStation 2, visited us.

This is my long-winded way of reminding you Dragon Quest games are rarities on our shores, so it'd be a darn shame if you let Dragon Quest XI for the PlayStation 4 and Steam pass you by. Not that the infrequency of Dragon Quest releases is a good enough reason by itself to invest in the eleventh chapter: It's also a deep, surprisingly story-driven quest that revisits the best traits of Dragon Quest VIII while adding plenty of its own flavor to the pot (a big story twist that happens midway through the game helps Dragon Quest XI go far beyond "Dragon Quest VIII Redux").

Plus, much how Halley's Comet always returns to find a different civilization than the one it left behind, Dragon Quest XI arrives in a market that's much friendlier to JRPGs than it was even five years ago. The financial success of Persona 5, Nier: Automata, and most recently, Octopath Traveler demonstrates people are more open-minded about JRPGs than ever. What better time to get acquainted with a new heir in a series that may well be considered the King of JRPGs?

There's a sales pitch for you: No other series does JRPGs as well as Dragon Quest, and even though Dragon Quest XI's utilizes a (clean, easy-to-use) menu-based battle system, its incredible monster designs and imaginative world demonstrates series creator Yuji Horii is as good at his craft as he ever was. Dragon Quest V is probably still my favorite entry in the franchise, but Dragon Quest XI strikes a close second. It takes some time to settle in with your party and truly get on your way, yes, but the same can also be said about Dragon Quest V (where you're expected to explore a haunted castle as an under-leveled child—grinding, hooo). But like Dragon Quest V, once XI hooks you, you're hooked for good. Even the 80+ hour playtime shouldn't intimidate you, as the adventure is well-suited for play sessions that last one or two hours at a time.

Consider this, too: You have a horse.

I admit there's only so much evangelizing I can do about Dragon Quest XI. Square Enix's decision not to bring the Nintendo 3DS version of the game to the West is a big downer. Worse is having no word on the Nintendo Switch release that's supposedly coming out sometime before the stars fall from the sky. The world's understandably gone Switch-crazy, and I've heard from a number of people who are passing over the PlayStation 4 / PC release in favor of waiting for the Nintendo Switch port—regardless of however long it takes to arrive. As someone who has to divide up her TV time with a husband who watches a mighty butt-load of WWE every week, I understand the compulsion to wait for Dragon Quest XI to go handheld (though, hey, if you have a GPD Win 2, you can start now!).

That said, there's a chance the delayed Switch release will work out in Dragon Quest XI's favor in the long-term. Dead Cells and Hollow Knight recently re-entered gaming discussion thanks to their re-release on the Switch. Ys VIII is another game that received a new shot of life when it came to the Switch (let's just hope Square Enix has an easier time with Dragon Quest XI's port than NIS America).

Whichever way you decide to play Dragon Quest XI, I have only one instruction for you: Do it, son.

Yeah, I’m one of those who’s holding out for the Switch version, but I have a very good reason for that: I don’t have a PS4. Or a PC.
    Had a blast playing this the other night...especially when I changed my main character's outfit to the DQVIII costume to cover up that centre part with the red bandana!
    It looks so good, and I'm sold based on everything everyone has written. But I have such a huge backlog, and I've finally gotten myself on a spreadsheet ordered list to make myself get through some stuff, buying this would throw all of that off. Plus, paying full price for a video game is kind of... uh... against my religion.

But Tim Rogers, with these two sentences sold me:
    Dragon Quest XI is hugely long and chill as heck. It took me about 80 chill as heck hours to finish the main quest my first time.

I feel like that description is right up my alley, heh. Maybe once I finish Amalur I'll work on it. Although, with the THQ Nordic announcement, I should probably just wait for the inevitable PS4 remaster.
    I'm definitely planning to get Dragon Quest XI, but it probably won't be this month. As far as potential "Maybe I'll buy it right now!" releases in September go it's already competing with Marvel's Spider-Man, 428: Shibuya Scramble, and Metal Max Xeno for my $60, and those games and DQ11 are all "Save my $20 a week gaming funds for the rest of the month" releases.

I'm fine with buying a $60 game new, but I'm much more likely to shop indie or be swayed by a sale* than to do that 'cuz there's lots of great games available nowadays.

* I just spent $40 I'd saved up on a new physical copy of World of Final Fantasy: Day One Edition and to go all digital with Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition (I have a physical copy and all the DLC but I like the convenience).
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #5 Tetragrammaton 15 days ago
    Honestly it probably already has for me, but only because of real world events in my life. ....And also another game hitting later this month that I already blocked out time for.

Ah well, c'est la vie.
  • Avatar for GreatLordAbsu #6 GreatLordAbsu 15 days ago
    I've done my part! I bought the PS4 Edition of Light for the goodies / extras, and the Steam version for actual play. The game looks lovely running at 60 fps. If and when the Switch version ever comes out, I will most definitely triple-dip for portability alone.

It's a real shame we didn't get the 3DS version, though. The two different selectable presentation styles (i.e. retro pixels -vs- 3DS polygons) made it the version I was anticipating the most, by far.
    Chill mom, I'm *checks playtime* 75 minutes in! I single handedly saved DQ's western fate. You're welcome!
    I wish I could help, but I don't have a PS4 or gaming class PC and I historically burn out on Dragon Quest at the 25 hour mark. VC4 is much more my style of game
    Day one purchase and completely worth it. Seeing a living breathing dragon quest world in HD is an amazing experience.
  • “Don’t Let Dragon Quest XI Slip Through the Cracks”

Is this directed at gamers or at the publisher who elected to release it the same week as Spider-Man? Personally, I look forward to playing it, but it may be a month or two before I pick it up.
    @Captain-Oppositional Even if it hadn't released a few days before Spider-Man, Dragon Quest XI definitely has a lot of competition in releases trying to get people's game dollars this month. I already mentioned 428: Shibuya Scramble and Metal Max Xeno (both of which I'd also consider "Don't let this one fall through the cracks" titles), but the big releases this month also include Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Valkyria Chronicles 4, the debut episode of Life is Strange 2, SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy, and a bunch of annual sports games.

And this is just other stuff on PS4 like DQ11 is.
  • @MetManMas Right? What really bothers me is that this game has, for all intents and purposes, been complete for a while. It would have been a perfect summer release. I guess they didn’t want to cannibalize Octopath Traveler, but still…
    I already purchased Spider-Man, but I'm 100% buying DQXI on Steam. :)
    The delayed release date on the switch will likely keep me from buying it day one. If not given the opportunity to be part of the discussion at launch I might as well wait till it goes on sale.

Or I could just turn on my PS4 for the first time since persona 5, but I find it so unpleasant to play on I don't think it's worth it.
    Deleted 3 weeks ago by FTLMantis
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #16 donkeyintheforest 15 days ago
    ahh I am just trying to have a well balanced life! why must giant super fun looking games keep coming out. why cant there be more as good and quick as donut county or inside? i made my list of whats still coming out this year and there is just too much!

i was thinking of waiting for the switch version, but maybe ill just get this on pc. if i do though, probably will be playing it until red dead 2 comes out. ugh haha
    Here's my problem: massive fan that I may be of Dragon Quest, I cannot support it in good faith any longer.

Dragon Quest composer Koichi Sugiyama has gone on record time and again with his historical revisionism, denying historical atrocities like the Nanking Massacre, and has also made declarations against the LGBT community in Japan.

That's attitude I can't support from creators. I just can't. If Cliff Bleszinski came out against LGBT topics being covered in schools, I'd blacklist the guy. If Howard Drossin were to imply that the Trail of Tears "wasn't that bad", they could make five new Comix Zones and I wouldn't get a single one.

So, how am I to play a game like Dragon Quest, "chill and relaxed" as it is, with its melancholic music playing over the background without remembering, "Oh yeah, the composer for this game insists that hundreds of thousands of people weren't raped and slaughtered during WWII", or "This battle music is nice, reminds me of how Sugiyama doesn't think my LGBT friends deserve any kind of representation at all".

This isn't a dig against people who will continue to enjoy these games. But I can't enjoy Dragon Quest anymore with that shadow looming over it.
    @TernBird I think that's definitely a valid position; I have a trans friend who feels very much the same way. I could say "Oh, I have to play this for work," but at the end of the day I just don't have the stones to say "No, I'm not doing this, I'd indirectly be supporting a guy who's pretty terrible." So good on you.

Media consumption is tricky as hell, isn't it? Roald Dahl, one of the most influential and beloved authors of all time, hate a big hate-on for Jews (Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator signified he didn't have many good things to say about Asians, either). That broke my heart when I was a kid, and it puts a damper on my experience when I try to re-read anything he wrote. At the same time, I can't tell my friends "You shouldn't read this guy." They know what he said, and it's up to them. I don't think any less of them. We all have to make these kinds of choices, because people generally suck. It's a shame, and I won't make any excuses for playing / loving DQ XI. It's cowardly, I know, and you're good to take a stand.

Sugiyama owns part of the franchise, so booting him wouldn't be easy, that's for sure.
  • Avatar for scottygrayskull #19 scottygrayskull 15 days ago
    If it comes out on Xbox I'll pick it up! :D
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #20 InsertTokenz 15 days ago
    I really was hoping Square Enix would have made the effort to localize the 3DS version of the game and bring it over here, since that was the version I was most interested in of the two. Perhaps Nintendo of America might lend a hand to make that still happen, but it's likely just wishful thinking at this point.
    I've put about 9 hours into the game so far. Absolutely loving it! Dragon Warrior on the NES was my first ever RPG when I was a kid, so this series will always have a special place in my heart.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #22 Funny_Colour_Blue 15 days ago
    @TernBird "How can I "separate art from the artist" (a phrase which I really hate--as if art were some mechanical slur wholly and contextually separate from the person who made it) when Sugiyama's music is that intrinsic to Dragon Quest?"

...People come from all different walks of life. Koichi Sugiyama is a terrible person that makes music for a living - sometimes dudes are really old and have really awful opinions about really serious issues - But Dragon Quest is also made by thousands of people, many who don't share Koichi Sugiyama's beliefs and who will rightly oppose him, because it's the right thing to do.

You can't let this bully, ruin your enjoyment of the game. :(
  • Avatar for Fourfoldroot #23 Fourfoldroot 15 days ago
    Like everybody else I've just got too much to still play. I never buy games at full price release these days, it just doesn't make sense anymore given they'll just be stuck on a shelf. The modern gaming industry will just have to take the saturation of the market into account I'm afraid. We aren't all kids with infinite time any more. Sorry.
    Deleted September 4000 by Unknown
    I'm only letting it pass me by till the Switch comes out (or is cancelled). I am *NOT* gonna double dip!!! (For once :( )
    @TernBird you could buy it used.

Huge respect for your integrity. If you bought off someone pre-owned, you wouldn't directly be putting money in a bigot's pocket. I don't think any reasonable person would think you've sacrificed your views. And you should allow yourself to have a little fun. You deserve it.
  • Avatar for One_Vurfed_Gwrx #27 One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 days ago
    For me, as much as I want to support the DQ series, this is on hold until a sale for a variety of reasons. Primarily that the version of it I really wanted, the 3DS version, isn't being localised, in fact I may juat import the Japanese version of that before I bither with the PS4 version. The PS4 version looks nice enough but something about it seems a little bland to me (this is based purely on videos, I have not played the game) and the PC (and likely the Switch port) is based on this too.

The other thing is that there are smaller games I want to buy more like 428 and Valkyria 4, especially 428 which is barely being reported upon in the western press. (As a side note I was doing a fan translation for fun of the text in Machi, its predecessor, which I would love to see an officia localisation and port of too).

I will probably grab the PS4 one at some point and it is definitely ahead of Spiderman on my want list but probably not for a while.
    Count me among those waiting for the Switch version. The DS iterations of IV, V, VI and IX coupled with the 3DS remakes of VII and VIII remind me that this is a series I enjoy more on handheld consoles.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my PS4 but lack the hours to sit at home in front of the television. The portability of Switch remains my favorite feature as it allows me to manage my backlog of lengthy JRPGs while commuting and traveling for work.

As I am nearing the 75 hour mark in Octopath with Chapters 3 and 4 still ahead of me, I think a palate cleanser or two will be required before I jump into another 100+ hour RPG. It is a good thing Valkyria Chronicles 4, Hollow Knight and Mega Man 11 are (or will be) available soon.
    @InsertTokenz - Completely agree. The 3DS version is the one that I wanted as well and Square’s refusal to bring it west was a blown opportunity. Given the size of the 3DS install base, no one can convince me that the game would not have moved copies. I wonder if Square will come to regret opting for the Steam release as opposed to the 3DS version?
  • Avatar for SpoonyBardOL #30 SpoonyBardOL 15 days ago
    I'm waiting on the Switch version because this is exactly the sort of game I'd want to play either on the TV or off of it depending on my mood. Though I feel a bit guilty since that's a sale the game won't get until later, and I'm worried that if the PS4 and PC versions don't do well enough it might get canned entirely.

Hopefully it won't, especially with Nintendo's history of supporting Dragon Quest over here, but still, the sooner we see a concrete date (or even a timeline) for the western release of the Switch port the better.

I am sorely tempted to grab it on PC (no PS4), but I reeeeally want to wait until I have it for Switch to start it.
    It was sold out at most of the Best Buys in Toronto, when I tried to pick it up the other day, which seems like good news on the face of things. But when I finally managed to snag the last copy at one of them, the guy told me they'd only gotten two copies in the first place, and as far as he knew most of the other stores had gotten similar amounts.
    I want to get this. I've never played a Dragon Quest game before but always wanted to. I would love to support the developer but I just can't. I've told myself no more games until I finish some of the games I purchased day one in 2018. I gave up worrying about my insane backlog that I have amassed throughout the years. I will get to those games eventually but they are no longer a priority.

That and Spider-Man is a priority before DQXI.
    my life has made it impossible to play traditional console games. If it doesn’t come out on Switch, even if I bought it for PS4 and helped the cause, I wouldn’t be able to put time into it. I really hope we get an update on the Switch version soon.
  • Avatar for Arvis-Jaggamar #34 Arvis-Jaggamar 15 days ago
    Extremely sad to me that people continue to let the ignorance and stupidity of others rob them of joy and dictate to them what they can and can't enjoy.
    Preordered this on Steam but sadly Monster Hunter World came out a month ago and still playing the hell out of it. When I finally start to wane on World DQ11 will be right there to take it's place. Also knew Nadia would start making multiple article pretty much yelling at people to buy DQ11 and she is right in doing so!
    Can someone help me out here?

I *adore* DQIV, V, VI, and IX.

DQVII, including the 3DS remake, felt like a dreadful slog, and I did something I rarely do -- quit a game before finishing it.

I don't mind length in an RPG, but does DQXI reach VII's levels of sloginess? Or does it have more of the compact narrative goodness of the IV - VI?
    Despite my love for Toriyama’s art, Dragon Quest is aesthetically unappealing to me. The battle-system is too simple and just seems like a grindfest with a simple story. This is ironically probably what fans like about the series.
    Firstly, I'd like to acknowledge that consumption of media from problematic individuals will always be a personal decision, and I respect that choice.

In my case, while I may find some of Sugiyama's stances very problematic, I also recognize that this game, like so many others, has many, many people involved in its making. I'm sure there are other games that have people with questionable opinions that worked on them as well, although we don't know about it. I won't penalize this game or those that worked on it because of the rantings of a composer that, from my understanding, doesn't actually contribute much any more to the proceedings.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #39 Funny_Colour_Blue 15 days ago
    Guys, how do we get the ball rolling on bringing the 3DS version over here? I'm watching my friend play it on the PS4 and it looks amazing, the voice acting is incredible and the production values are really high - it feels like a Dragon Quest 8-2.

I'd like to buy this but all I have is the 3DS.
    @IPA I haven't gotten very far in DQ11, but I think you're probably safe. DQ7 is an outlier in the series in terms of pacing and story. By all reports it's closer to DQ8, which was also ported to the 3DS -- have you tried that one?
    @funktron VIII is the only DQ I've never played. Good to hear that XI feels more like a "traditional" DQ title. Enjoy your playthrough!
    Sugiyama's politics have definitely dampened my enthusiasm greatly, as well. Even so, I hadn't planned on buying the game immediately (something I almost never do), so picking up a used copy later on isn't really a huge detour or inconvenience.

Still, Dragon Quest is a series I want to support wholeheartedly because of its shaky history outside Japan; but I just can't, as long as Sugiyama is a co-owner. I feel ashamed I didn't know about his harmful views already, since they're not in any way new or private. It's just most of us were unaware, and truthfully didn't really care about a lot of these issues, until recently.

It sucks. Dragon Quest XI is assuredly a beautiful game mostly made by people who are decent-to-good. And also one of its owners has some pretty appalling views. That's going to be a divisive thing; deciding how to engage with art made by toxic/abusive/harmful/problematic/complicated people is a pretty idiosyncratic thing. My own approach is that a case by case basis is the only thing that makes any sense. I'm still working out how I feel about this case, but leaning toward play-eventually-but-with-a-used-copy. Oh, well.
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #43 InsertTokenz 14 days ago
    @Gamer-Law Yeah, I still find their rational for only sticking with the PS4 version not making that much sense. Maybe there's more to it than what's being mentioned, but I would have to think that considering how much of a presence Dragon Quest has on the 3DS already (IV,V,VI,VII,VIII, and IX are all playable on there), that a good chunk of the fanbase for the series would be owners of 3DSs even more so than PS4s (save for the releases of Dragon Quest Heroes and Builders being a contributing factor).

I guess if anything, I'll be waiting like most others for a potential Switch release.
  • I want to get this on Steam... at a lower price, and once some of the more concerning bugs, such as crashing, loss of save data, and other issues, have been sorted out. Paying R799 (the equivalent of about $60 I guess?) for a port that has those kinds of issues, AND poor performance depending one the brand of the GPU or CPU, AND Denuvo, is too rich for my blood. I've already been burned by CHRONO TRIGGER on Steam, although at least I didn't pay full price for that.
  • @nadiaoxford Sugiyama owns the rights to the music that he's created for the Dragon Quest games, and nothing else, right? What's the issue, in terms of licensing and rights, with NOT getting him to compose music for future Dragon Quest games? I mean, some of his tracks are pretty cool - Dragon Quest VI's first town had a pretty sweet theme - but overall, he's not irreplaceable, and I hope Square Enix isn't treating him as such. They would probably be better off washing their hands of him ASAP, especially considering his shitty nationalism and anti-LGBT+ nonsense.
    Also if you have the PC version and an Android device, you can use the Steam Link app to stream it. Another mobile option!

(It would be available on iOS too if Apple weren't so anal about the ability to purchase games through it).
    I actually got it on Steam (simple, but good port), but after just a little bit of playtime I realised I'd really much rather play this on switch, so I got a refund. Also saving up for Valkyria, Soulcalibur and Smash..
    I've been HUGELY supportive of Dragon Quest, especially during the frenzy times of Square-Enix releasing/not-releasing DQ 7 and 8 on the western 3DS. I bought both on day one.

But "we'll see if there is an interest" and "there are a lot of scripts" are the SE comments I'm old enough too have seen way more than I would have wanted.
    That's enough for me.
    I'm getting retired from video games, I can see Nadia loving DQ (and I don't blame her for that), but I'm not buying this stuff again.
    I won't get a PS4 to play DQ, I have sold my 3DS when I learned that DQ11 won't come to it, and I won't consider a Switch unless I'm 100% sure there will be.
    Good-bye, almost-Dragonball-video-game-that-is-not-Dragonball, I'll miss you.
    But not as much as I miss - legit - Dragon Quest VI on the SNES.

I love Dragon Quest, but SE doesn't love us back in return.
    'guess it's a call for a "next".

PS : for overzealous zealots, I bought DQ 4, 5, 6, and 9 on the DS, 7 and 8 on the 3DS, and 1 to 6 and 8 on iOS. I guess you can't blame me of sinking the boat.

PPS : still no news of DQ 1-3 on western 3DS by the way. Is there THAT much of scripts to translate that hasn't already been translated with Gameboy or iOS ports ? Is releasing a game on a - western - virtual store so expensive that SE won't event consider it ?

Edit : Aaaaaaand, DQ11 is not available on Mac nor iOS.Edited 2 times. Last edited 2 weeks ago by ob1
    @Arvis-Jaggamar Gonna put myself on the spotlight and ask you to not put words in my mouth, because deciding to not partake in Dragon Quest isn't "robbing myself of joy".

There's plenty of media out there that I can enjoy knowing it's made by people who are decent, honest, inclusive, and respectful to people of all walks of life.

If you're so worried about the media consumption of other people, perhaps spend that time consuming media you enjoy? ;)
    Add me to the list of those waiting for the Switch release.
  • Avatar for Arvis-Jaggamar #51 Arvis-Jaggamar 12 days ago
    @TernBird You're not seriously implying that you're going to research the personal opinions and biases of every single person involved in making the next game you want, right? And if the 16th cg artist out of 30 retweets Alex Jones you're going to boycott the game?

Let's be serious. If your boycott is effective, you'll be hurting one bigot, hundreds of decent, hardworking game designers, and thousands of DQ fans.
    If your boycott is ineffective, you hurt yourself and accomplish little else. I'm sympathetic to your outrage, but this is a pointless expression of it. Ultimately, it's your life, but imo a better way to beat the bad guys is to not let them influence even one small part of it.

Sugiyama having to live with the fact that the art he creates is consumed and enjoyed by thousands of LGBT is just icing on the cake. Edited 2 weeks ago by Arvis-Jaggamar
    I've also seen some folks in r/linux_gaming say that the Steam version runs great on Linux through Steam Play. Haven't tried it yet myself; YMMV, of course, but if it doesn't work you can return it for a refund.
    @Arvis-Jaggamar "You're not seriously implying that you're going to research the personal opinions and biases of every single person involved in making the next game you want, right?"

No, they're not.

Glad I could clear that up for you. Edited 2 weeks ago by Thad
  • Avatar for Sidewaystranger #54 Sidewaystranger 9 days ago
    The pacing of this game is excellent: I can only play a an hour or two every other night but I feel like I'm always moving forward, whether it's meeting new characters, advancing the plot, forging and selling new equipment, getting better at the fight system, finding new monsters,doing quests... I never feel like I'm just wasting time.

This is shaping up to be my game of the year, and it makes me really want to play the 3DS games.

Comments