Dragon Ball FighterZ's Has a Release Date, Season Pass Offers 8 New Characters

The new Dragon Ball Z/Super fighter will join the rest with its own character pass.

News by Mike Williams, .

Dragon Ball FighterZ came out of nowhere to become one of the most anticipated upcoming fighting games. Now we know when "upcoming" is exactly. Bandai Namco announced today that Dragon Ball FightersZ will be coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on January 26, 2018.

As part of the release date reveal, the game has gone live live for pre-order in several places. Over o the Microsoft Store, there's a pre-order up for the Ultimate Edition of the game. For $109.99, players get the game itself, a music pack with 11 songs from the anime, a commentator voice pack, and the previously-unmentioned FighterZ pass. The FighterZ pass looks to be the standard fighting game Season/Character pass, offering "8 new characters".

Those new characters will join a roster that already contains Goku, Vegeta, Gohan (Teenage), Trunks (Future), Krillin, Piccolo, Android 18, Android 16, Tien Shinhan, Yamcha, Frieza, Cell, and the Super Saiyan Blue versions of Goku and Vegeta. Nappa and Captain Ginyu were also announced by Bandai Namco 2 days ago on Facebook, rounding out the current official roster.

So who do you want to see added in the character pass?

I hope Captain Ginyu teams up with the other members of the Ginyu Force similar to the Android 18 and 17 combo. It’s a good way to give screen time to characters no one wants to play but might still want to see in action.
    I was so excited to get this game. Now that I see the season pass option I am sad. I miss when games shipped with full rosters and even included hidden characters. All for the cost of the game ($60).

Remember when SF Alpha 3 shipped with 20+ characters?
    @RocketShoes He does.
    Excuse me while I laugh and laugh at everyone who said they were skipping Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite because of its season pass and waiting for Dragon Ball Fighter Z, as though there was ever going to be an ArcSys game without pages and pages of DLC.
    @Roto13 Yeah it's a bummer that there is a season pass. But then again this is the same developer that releases a new version of game every year. Could be mostly Bandai Namco. Gawd I was pissed when I bought that Shippuden dlc without knowing it was the full game back in the day.Edited October 2017 by SIGGYZtar
    I can only hope among the DLC, which I hope they aren't counting SSB Goku and Vegeta among the 8, that some Super characters get a shot like Hit and Goku Black.
    @mobichan That's probably the worst comparison you could've made. Alpha 3 launched with 20+ characters because it was the THIRD game in the series. DBFZ has more in common with Alpha 1 (13 character roster) + Alpha 2 (added 5 characters) . In short, if you were an SF player back in those days, you still would've already spent $100 before picking up Alpha 3 (that number is even higher if you were an arcade goer).

But back to the main subject at hand: the DBFZ season pass. I wish this bothered me more, but it doesn't. All the characters I want are in the base roster. Also, I'm long past playing every single character just so I'm well versed in all the match-ups. It's strictly low-flame participation for me nowadays. Being competent with one team is good enough. However, this is a concern for tournament players. I sympathize, but at the same time, it's also first world problem.Edited 4 times. Last edited October 2017 by NateDizzy
    @Wellman2nd SSB Goku and Vegeta are part of the core cast. The 8 characters have yet to be revealed. I'd guess Gohan (adult), Great Saiyaman, Mr. Satan, Broly, Beerus, Hit, Goten and Trunks (as a pair), Videl, and probably Raditz.
  • Avatar for RepentantSky #9 RepentantSky 4 months ago
    @mobichan To be fair, it's almost impossible to sell a game for 60 dollars and make a profit these days unless a game sells several times more than what's expected. This is even more of a problem when you have online servers to run like DBFZ will. That said, season passes that cost over half what the base game does, does appear to be pretty anti-consumer.
    @NateDizzy I can see your point, but each Alpha game was unique enough in its game system to feel like a new product, not simply an updated character roster. Sure, some assets could be reused, but (theoretically) making characters should be faster these days with 3D models than having to draw out frames.

I haven't played any other Arc Sys games in any serious capacity, so I was not aware that this was their normal approach. Too bad they feel the need to nickel and dime the players. But I guess that is the market now.

> but (theoretically) making characters should be faster these days with 3D models than having to draw out frames.

I'd argue ArcSys' style of animating and lighting is just as intensive (if not moreso) than anything from the sprite based era. Check this out if you have the time. It's an interesting watch:

> Too bad they feel the need to nickel and dime the players.

This is the crux of the argument, right? Are they really nickel and diming us? From my perspective, that answer is "no". Can you name another FIRST game in a series that launched with more than 24 characters? I can't. MvC had 21 but many of those sprites were from previous VS games. MvC3 had more than 24, but I'd argue it was still a sequel that was standing on the shoulders of its predecessors. Yes, it had a brand new engine with new models of returning characters, but those returning characters played almost exactly the same as their old counterparts. That meant more time (and money) to devote to brand new fighters.

DBFZ on the other hand is the first in a potential series. ArcSys is definitely taking inspiration from their other fighters, but it's not like they're copying and pasting. In short, there's a lot of "starting from scratch", so I don't see the 24 characters (22 if you count the Super versions of Goku and Vegeta as "clones") + the 8 in the season pass as nickel and diming.

But that's just my take on the situation. It's completely understandable that you and many others don't share my POV. If that's the case, definitely hold off. It's not like it takes all that long for games to drop in price nowadays.Edited October 2017 by NateDizzy
    Bro i preordered the ultimate edition on amazon but i dont have. Nor goku nor vegeta ssgss and not even the fighterz pass do i have to do somethibg to download that