Electronic Arts has had the exclusive rights to develop Star Wars video games for seven years now. In 2020, the publisher is finally ready to commit to the franchise in a major way. In an executive "fireside chat" attended by GameSpot, EA CEO Andrew Wilson said that the publisher was going to "double down" on its partnership with Disney and Lucasfilm. The comments were related to the upcoming launch of Star Wars: Squadrons, a dogfighting action game pitting the Rebel Alliance against the Empire.
"We've had success in first-person shooters, in RPGs, in action-adventure, in MMORPGs, in mobile, and I believe we're going to have success with Squadrons as well," said Wilson. "We're going to double down on that partnership. Disney continues to be very very committed to the IP and to the canon."
Wilson pointed to the success of Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront 2, which have sold a combined 35 million copies. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order was another smash hit, selling 10 million copies last year. Finally, there's the mobile focused Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, which has seen "extraordinary" success.
Unfortunately, that's Electronic Arts' entire Star Wars output for the seven years it's had the license. Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront 2 both had their share of problems, notably a large microtransaction controversy surrounding Battlefront 2. The code-named Ragtag adventure game was eventually canceled, but not before it took down Visceral Games. The licensing model works out well for Disney, but it's not all that great for fans.
Star Wars: Squadrons is the next release from Electronic Arts, launching with PC, PS4, and Xbox One with cross-play support on October 2. The game will feature full customization for your pilots and iconic Star Wars ships, with no microtransactions. It'll also feature full VR support and allow players to use joysticks or HOTAS rigs for that full, immersive experience.