One of the earliest quests in Fallout 76's Wastelanders update is "Hunter for Hire," in which players must save the Wayward Bar from the West Virginia Lumber Co. Bandits. We've got a full walkthrough for the Hunter for Hire quest that'll show you how to get rid of the bandits here, as well as all the options available.
On this page:
- How to Beat the Hunter for Hire Quest and Get Rid of the Wayward Bandits in Fallout 76
- How to Lure in the Bandits, Build the Crane Treasure Hunting Sign and Use the Broadcast Tape
- How to Stop the Bandit Attacks
- The Family at Anchor Farm
- Scrapper at Tyler County Fairgrounds
- How to Steal the Egg at Deathclaw Island
- Getting into the Lumberyard and Defeating the Bandits
How to Beat the Hunter for Hire Quest and Get Rid of the Wayward Bandits in Fallout 76
This is a multi-stage quest that introduces you to new concepts introduced as part of Wastelanders, including dialogue, Team-Only Interiors and branching quests. We'll cover each stage, how to deal with them, and the options available to you ahead.
How to Lure in the Bandits, Build the Crane Treasure Hunting Sign and Use the Broadcast Tape
The first problem is that neither Duchess nor you know where the bandits are hiding out, meaning you'll have to question them accordingly. For this reason, the first stage of the quest will go as follows:
- Use your C.A.M.P. to break down materials and build the "Crane Treasure Hunting Sign." This'll require Circuitry x1, Copper x1, Plastic x2, Steel x6, Power 1x. Duchess will allow you to take any objects you need from the Wayward, so use it as a place to gather resources.
- Put down your camp (we've got more details on that here) and build the sign. Now you have a spot to lure them in, you'll have to get the word out.
- There should now be an icon leading you to the nearby Relay Tower EM-B1-27, where you can put in the "Broadcast Tape" you got at the Wayward to signal everybody nearby.
- The Relay Tower is guarded by about half a dozen Scorched, most of which are using low-level weaponry. If you're a low level, make sure you have any armor equipped and fire from cover to make sure you're protected as much as possible.
- Once the tower's clear, go into the one room and the indicated terminal in the middle. Load the "Broadcast Tape" holotape and select "Activate Transmission."
- Now that's done, walk or Fast Travel back to your C.A.M.P.
- People will start to appear, but most of them are red herrings or dead ends until you meet armed characters labelled "Free Radicals." You can get the information out of them through dialogue if you have high enough Luck or Strength, or kill the radicals to get the information off their bodies.
- You'll find out that the bandits are in the West Virginia Lumber Company to the North-West. Go back to the Wayward and tell Duchess what you know to continue.
How to Stop the Bandit Attacks
If you want to go straight to the lumberyard and splatter the bandits across every wall you can find, that's an option available to you, but Duchess has two leads that can potentially make things easier: the family at Anchor Farm, who's delivered food to the bandits, and Scrapper at Tyler County Fairgrounds, who claims to have a way to sneak in. Both contacts are en route to the Lumberyard, assuming you start from Vault 76 and head North, so it's worth talking to them both.
The Family at Anchor Farm
This is a purely-dialogue based aside that can still be very useful: one of the family, Daniel, knows the password that the bandits use to get in and out of the lumberyard, as he's used it to deliver food. He's reluctant to tell you, scared of them, but you can persuade him with either a Charisma, Perception or Strength skill of 3 or higher. The password is Blue Danube, which you can use to get into the Lumberyard without a fight.
Scrapper at Tyler County Fairgrounds
There's more Scorched hanging around at the fairgrounds, but none of them should be higher than level six. Scrapper himself is on a stall roof in the middle of the fair, a small ramp leading you up to him.
Scrapper claims to have an item that'll help you sneak into the base, and we'll tell you know that it's three Stealth Boys, aid items that turn you invisible and give you a massive sneak boost for half a minute each. Even if you don't want to use them to get in, they're still valuable and useful to have - but he wants you to get something for him first. An egg, from a nearby island. He won't say what kind, but it'll become clear when you first show up. Of course, if you have a Strength score of 8 or higher, you can always muscle them out of him and never have to get the egg.
How to Steal the Egg at Deathclaw Island
Yes, the egg belongs to a Deathclaw that's prowling the island. Our best advice is never to fight the Deathclaw, instead follow the indicator to the egg itself and either sneak or run past. This is a flying visit, because you won't win in a fight if you're low level, and luckily the Deathclaw won't venture into the water. Wear your toughest armor and have a stimpak ready if stealth fails. Bring the egg back to Scrapper to get your Stealth Boys.
Getting into the Lumberyard and Defeating the Bandits
If you're dedicated to a bloodless conclusion, you can use the password into the speaker at the entrance, and none of the bandits will attack as you enter. Head down and talk to Roper, then offer to find the treasure for him. He'll call off the attacks. Alternatively, kill the bandits with your best weapon (you can use the Stealth Boys to keep the element of surprise) and go to the indicated section of wall to leave a message for any survivors telling them to leave the Wayward alone. Return to the bar and Duchess will give you a reward, as well as giving you a new quest at Gauley Mine.
There's a lot of Fallout 76 content for you to enjoy here at USG. You can find Mike's review of the game itself at this link here, or take a look at how some players might have to make room for their new Wastelander neighbours.