Soccer is far more complex than it looks (our review of FIFA 17 confirms as much), but all players on both teams want the same thing: To score goals. Get that ball in the net. Scoring is easier said than done, but you have a good chance of succeeding against your rivals if you follow the 4-3-3 Attack formation. In this guide to score lots of goals we'll walk you though how to set up your team.
At the risk of repeating ourselves, though: Soccer is complex. That's why we're here to help you with a collection of tips, tricks, and guides for FIFA 17.
1. Put your three best attackers up top
2. Put your best goal scorer in the middle, and speedier guys with good passing ability like Dimitri Payet on the wings. The speedy wingers will be able to take on defenders and make space for crossed into the middle.
3. Support them with a playmaking CAM who has a high work rate just below the middle striker. This player will be the key in starting attacks, spreading the ball to the attackers and then joining them as the team moves forward.
4. Put two CDMs belows the CAM. You want to wrest the ball away at the midfield as much as possible, which will let you hit hard on the counter. That will give you the initiative and lots of potential breakaways.
5. In the instructions tab, set the following:
- Left wing to Drift Wide/Get Behind
- Middle strike to Stay Central/Get Behind
- Right wing to Drift Wide/Get Behind
- Both CDMs to "Aggressive Interceptions"
6. Set tactics to "Possession."
7. Keep the ball on the ground and work it through the midfield when possible. Keep an eye on your attackers and wait for them to go on a run. They'll support each other nicely while spreading out the defense, and you can hit them with some good through passes. If you're lucky, the three attackers up top will spread out the defense enough that you will see some gaping holes. Don't get too greedy, though: Use conservative passes to retain possession as you work up your field. Try to turn over the ball as little as possible.
Need clarification? Take a look at the screenshots provided. When you're done cleaning up, learn how to score on a penalty kick, study up on which FIFA 17 players are the best, and the best players you can purchase at a reasonable price. We've also got a list of guides that detail the best formations for the biggest clubs in soccer.
If you're looking forward to FIFA 18, head on over to our Everything we Know About FIFA 18 page, where we'll round up all the latest info.