One of the wackier side activities you can take on in Final Fantasy 7 Remake is Whack a Box. You'll need to smash boxes, each worth a different amount of points, before a timer runs out. It's hard work if you don't have a strategy, so it's lucky that we've put the hard work in so you don't have to. In this guide we'll show you exactly how to score 30,000 points in Whack a Box, so that you can get your hands on the prizes available.
On this page
How to Score 30,000 in Whack a Box
Let's start off by explaining the basics. You will have a set time to break as many boxes as possible. There are three types of box: yellow, blue and red. Yellow boxes are worth 50, blue boxes come in 100 and 1,500 varieties. Red gives you an extra 10 seconds a piece. Here are some tips:
- In the first area, break small boxes until you have two ATB gauges filled. Once you do, run to the 1,500 box blocking the next area and unleash two Bravery attacks.
- There is a ramp in this first area (to the right as you start), you'll want to run up this to grab the red box, do not attempt to smash the 1,500 here, ignore the area behind it entirely.
- Your goal is to get across the bridge as fast as possible. Once on the other side, continue to smash yellow boxes until you have 2 filled ATB gauges. Use Bravery on the two 1,500 boxes blocking the next area. Aim for the gap between the two boxes, your attacks will strike both, breaking them faster.
- The next area is a case of filling your gauges and unleashing Bravery attacks on the gap between the two 1,500 boxes. Keep doing this until you are through.
- What you do in this final area is extremely important. There is a red box atop the pyramid of smaller boxes. Smash it and the surrounding boxes to fill your gauge, and head to the two 1,500 boxes blocking an additional red box. Keep going back and forth, unleashing special attacks to break the 1,500 boxes. Once they're broken, hit the final red box and head back to smash as many boxes as you can with the time you have left. This will easily get you 30,000 points.
- Take care when unleashing your special attacks, make sure you are facing the exact spot you want to hit.
Whack a Box Rewards
There are some pretty great rewards to get by playing Whack a Box in FF7 Remake. You'll get a Moogle Medal for participating each time, and there are prizes for hitting 20,000 and 30,000. Here's what they are.
- 20,000 - Crescent Moon Charm
- 30,000 - Spectral Cogwheel
For a look at how to find all of the Music Discs in this area, head to this guide.
For more on Final Fantasy 7 Remake, be sure to check out our article on Red XIII's role in the game. Elsewhere, there's Kat's article on the FF7 spin-offs you may not know about.