Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Gets a Surprise Remaster for Switch and PS4

With online co-op to boot.

News by Matt Kim, .

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is getting a surprise remaster for the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 in 2019. One of the key new features is online multiplayer which should alleviate the somewhat complex multiplayer system from the original GameCube version.

Crystal Chronicles originally came out in 2003 for the Nintendo GameCube and featured a unique co-op system where players who wanted to play together had to hook up a GameBoy Advance to the GameCube using a link cable. This way, one player was able to play on the GameCube, and everyone else would control their characters through their GameBoys.

The multiplayer supported up to four players using this link cable system, but was quite the endeavor to set up if you wanted to play co-op with a full party as each player required a link cable and GameBoy system.

The Crystal Chronicles remaster will support a more traditional online co-op judging by the preview trailer. So, players who only managed to play Crystal Chronicles solo, or with another player can maybe get a chance to experience it in its full glory.

No word on release date, but you can check out Square Enix's trailer above. We might also see more details come from Tokyo Game Show later this month.

!!!!! my mind is being blooooowwwwnnn
    That's very impressive.
    On Switch it should be pretty interesting if it supports local multiplayer.
  • Avatar for RorschachCCCLX #3 RorschachCCCLX 11 days ago
    Does square hate American console makers?
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #4 The-Challenger 11 days ago
    Yes, they finally fixed the co-op. It took more than ten years, but good on them. Now give us a couple of cheat options that disable fog ,speed up movement, and allow spell combinations with a single player.
  • Avatar for victorehunter #5 victorehunter 11 days ago
    *throws out all the hdmi gear and homebrew that I JUST got running on my cube solely for the purpose of playing this game in the best quality possible*

Stoked about this though. This game absolutely deserves a second chance.
    I love this but I admit my experience of this was not normal.

Back when gamecubes and gba players were dirt cheap I bought 4 of them, plus gba connector cables, and had the most insane set up of 1 wii plugged into a big TV, and 4 small TVs with a GC controller each.

It was beautiful. It completely removed the ability to move anywhere in the house without falling over a cable. It was my second greatest achievement. (the first being doing this with four swords adventure)
    As a Gamecube kid I skipped this because no way was I going to get it to work as recommended, so this might be a good chance to get a party together and get some co-op monster slaying on!
    Hyyyyyyyype! I had this on gamecube but was never able to play the "optimally"
  • Avatar for JamesSwiftDay #9 JamesSwiftDay 11 days ago
    Pretty sure it's 'Game Boy' not 'GameBoy'.
    @JamesSwiftDay Yep noticed it as well
  • Avatar for Monkey-Tamer #11 Monkey-Tamer 11 days ago
    I loved this game on the Cube. I soloed it due to the high cost of multiplayer entry. I'm hoping it gets a Steam port as well.

Comments