Tons of Final Fantasy Games Coming to Switch (But Not the Best One... Sad)

Everyone but Squall fans will be happy in 2019.

News by Kat Bailey, .

Square Enix is releasing a ton of Final Fantasy games for Nintendo Switch. But not the actual best one. You know which one I'm talking about.

A whole mess of Final Fantasy games were confirmed for Switch during today's Nintendo Direct. Here's a list:

[Update: Microsoft announced that a bunch of these games are also coming to Xbox One. Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, and XII are all coming to Xbox for the first time, as well as Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition and World of Final Fantasy].

Most of these are fine games (Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon is... well... yeah). But there's a distinct lack of Final Fantasy VIII on this list! Will we ever get to sit around and draw spells on the road? (Yes, yes, I know Final Fantasy VIII is available on the Vita).

In all seriousness, Final Fantasy VIII is an underrated entry in the series, and probably deserves to be revisited. But at this point even Final Fantasy IX is overshadowing it. I suppose we'll never get to experience the joys of Time Kompression again. But hey, at least we're getting Final Fantasy XII on Switch. That's pretty neat.

Look for the majority of these games on Switch in 2019. And keep your fingers crossed for all the NES and SNES versions. We'll get all the Final Fantasy games on Switch yet. Except for Final Fantasy VIII. Probably.

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

Best Final Fantasy... best Final Fantasy... best Final Fantasy... hm. You're right they don't have 4, 5, or 6!

I was considering FF12 on Steam but seeing it on Switch just solidified my choice of system. I still haven't played that one!Edited September 2018 by NiceGuyNeon
    No, I'm fairly certain that IX is coming to switch ;D
  • Avatar for sketchlayerjosh #3 sketchlayerjosh 2 months ago
    So, going by the Steam versions they've released, the PC versions of VII and IX are recently made bespoke PC/mobile ports, while the version of VIII that you can currently buy is the older Windows version with a wrapper around it to make it run on modern PCs. So they'd have to do a full-scale new port of the game to get it on consoles and the like.

Hopefully the ports of VII and IX made enough money that they'll eventually do the same for VIII (it's my favorite of the PSX games as well!), but who knows if that's on the schedule what with how everyone at Square seems to be on-hand getting the FFVII Remake out the door.
    They just didn't want to pay Faye Wong.
    @sketchlayerjosh well actually 7 is also a Windows port wrapped up.

The. Mobile port is just a screen with overlayed buttons
    Its miserable.
    I like Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon. =/ By the way, did they specify which one, or if it's a wholly new game?
    @sketchlayerjosh Oh yeah, I'm sure Final Fantasy VIII wasn't there because it hasn't even gotten one lousy mobile port to its name yet. Really hope Square Enix rectifies that eventually.
    @MetManMas It's an updated version of the Wii game.
    @MetManMas It's an updated version of the Wii game.
    The port of IX is pretty good. I’ve got it on my iPhone and it saves after every screen transition so you never have to worry about finding a save point. The higher res rendering makes the models and textures look pretty good too. It’s a real pity the FFVII port didn’t get the same love as IX. I’m really hoping whoever did the IX port also works on VIII.
    @Kat.Bailey Ah, that's what I thought it might be. That game was really adorable. =3
    I don't get why 8 has never been remastered. There's got to be a market for it. I don't think it's necessarily the best, but it definitely holds its head up with the rest of the PSX Final Fantasies and I'd lovvvvvve to play it with remastered clarity
  • Avatar for DrinkingWithSkeleton #13 DrinkingWithSkeleton 2 months ago
    "even Final Fantasy IX"

That's some subtle shade thrown at the actual best Final Fantasy, even if I do think it is weird to snub VIII.

This is a great haul, but what I really want is Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions and Chrono Cross.
  • Avatar for DrinkingWithSkeleton #14 DrinkingWithSkeleton 2 months ago
    @NiceGuyNeon FFXII is in my top three of the franchise, though it's not for everyone. The Zodiac Age version is definitely the way to experience it, so hopefully you enjoy it.
    Tons of Final Fantasy Games Coming to Switch (But Not the Best One... Sad)

You are right Famicom FF2 isn't coming to Switch sadly! But really while I have...issues with FF8 both story and mechanic I do feel it deserve a bit more love. Or at least more people playing it to try it out. Guessing this is going to by the PC version of the games which if that's the case it will come with those cheats which I'm 100% with Nadia that at times you just want to turn off encounters or just rush past a really annoying part of the game.
  • Avatar for SkywardShadow #16 SkywardShadow 2 months ago
    All I really want are good remasters of VI and VIII, and it feels like every game in the series will have remasters before them.Edited September 2018 by SkywardShadow
    I don't have much to add to this conversation, except my opinion about VIII:
    I really like it. I would pay for it...again. The Steam Version would be better with actual PS1 music, but it's the most recent release I'm aware of...and the music isn't great. Which is sad because VIII on PS1 has some really great tracks.
    @DrinkingWithSkeleton It's honestly the most appealing looking of the 3D Final Fantasy games to me so I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot when it releases next year.
  • Avatar for charlesrich04 #19 charlesrich04 2 months ago
    Another site claimed the code for 8 may be lost or not usable. Plus, the best FF games are Tactics, Secret of Mana and My Life as a King
    @BulkSlash Out of interest are the FFIX battles a little smoother? I really like IX but the gap between putting a command in and seeing it happen can take forever.
    @Megamoppy I’m not sure I’m afraid, I’m not hugely familiar with he original, but I did find the battles rattled along at a decent pace. I think there’s a setting for the battle speeds in the menus which helps to keep them quick.

Comments