The Game Developers Conference is due to take place next month in San Francisco. After multiple developers have pulled out over fears relating to the Coronarvirus, GDC's organizers say the show will continue as planned.
In a statement provided to The Verge, a GDC spokesperson said that they are "watching closely for new developments around the Novel Coronavirus situation in China to keep the GDC community appraised of the latest updates." This update comes after the event organizers said GDC would be "moving forward as planned," earlier this week on February 25.
The reason there's so much scrutiny over GDC next month is due to the Coronavirus. Earlier this week, San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced a state of emergency over the virus, despite there being no reported cases of the virus in the city at the time of the declaration.
Just for scale, the major companies that have pulled out of GDC make up about HALF of the South Hall's floor plan... pic.twitter.com/pTwo0eHbwm- Tom Marks (@TomRMarks) February 27, 2020
At the time of writing today on February 28, numerous high-profile developers and publishers have pulled out of GDC. Epic Games, Sony, Microsoft's Game Stack team, Unity, Electronic Arts, and Kojima Productions have all withdrawn from the event over the past two weeks, among various other organizations.
The Game Developers Conference is still due to take place in San Francisco next month, from March 16 to 20. So far in 2020, the Coronavirus has had an unprecedented affect on the games industry, with multiple events and games being either postponed or cancelled. We'll report back on any future developments regarding both GDC and the Coronavirus.