The most important weapon in God of War is the Leviathan Axe, a power frost weapon Kratos can swing, throw and summon back to his hand. It also requires special items called a Frozen Flame that you can use to upgrade its damage. In this guide we'll show you how to upgrade the Leviathan Axe and where you can find Frozen Flames.
On this page:
How to Upgrade the Leviathan Axe in God of War
To upgrade the Leviathan Axe in God of War you'll need to find Frozen Flames, special rare items that can be given to the blacksmiths Brok and Sindri to upgrade the Axe. You don't even need to pay any hacksilver or additional resources, the Frozen Flame is the only item needed. However, they're incredibly rare, with only five across the whole game, each one of which will increase your Axe's level by one. Below we'll cover where you can find all of them, while keeping spoilers to a minimum.
Frozen Flame Locations
There are five Frozen Flames in total, spread across the whole game (with one only available after completing the main story). We've shown all of their locations below:
- River Pass Bridge: Found through your first encounter with Brok as part of the main story, a reward for helping move his steed.
- Foothills: After meeting Sindri as you climb up the Mountain, you'll fight a troll as a mini-boss. The Frozen Flame is a reward for beating it.
- The Mountain Mine: In the same room as the elevator that takes you to the Summit is another troll. Defeating it will get you another Frozen Flame.
- Under the Corpse of Thamur the Giant: As part of the main plot, you'll have a boss fight with two characters at the end of the quest, "The Magic Chisel." You'll get the Frozen Flame for beating that boss fight.
- Niflheim: After completing the main story, Sindri will sell you a Frozen Flame. However, you can only buy it with a Chilling Mist of Niflheim, an item found in a chest in the center of the Niflheim maze that costs 5000 Mist Echoes to open. Once you get the Chilling Mist, you can exchange that for the Frozen Flame with Sindri.
Each time your Axe is upgraded, it'll increase its level by one and boost Kratos' strength, as well as increasing Kratos' overall level. It'll also unlock new abilities based around it. The fact that you use the Axe as your main weapon throughout most of the game means you should always upgrade it as soon as possible.
Axe yourself: do you want the best God of War content the internet has to offer? Because we've got you covered here at USgamer. Caty interviewed the sound designers to see how the World Serpent got his impossible voice, or you could take a look at how a camera hack revealed Baldur doing something very strange when nobody was looking.