Fans of the very first Half-Life were in for a surprise when the nearly 20 year old game received a new patch on Steam. This is the first patch in four years.
The patch notes aren't very exciting as they mostly pertain to fixing various crash issues, and other minor changes. You can see the full list of five patches below.
- Fixed crash when entering certain malformed strings into the game console. Thanks to Marshal Webb from BackConnect, Inc for reporting this.
- Fixed crash when loading a specially crafted malformed BSP file. Thanks to Grant Hernandez (@Digital_Cold) for reporting this.
- Fixed malformed SAV files allowing arbitrary files to be written into the game folder. Thanks to Vsevolod Saj for reporting this.
- Fixed a crash when quickly changing weapons that are consumable. Thanks to Sam Vanheer for reporting this.
- Fixed crash when setting custom decals
The patch also fixes a weapon drop exploit that apparently caused players to disconnect from the Half-Life servers.
And of course for those of you wondering if this is a very subtle hint that Half-Life 3 will be announced soon, this is clearly a sign that the game truly is coming out soon. Just kidding! The chances of that happening are still very slim. Sorry.