Hell Freezes Over as EarthBound Beginnings Hits the Wii U Virtual Console

In an unexpected move, Nintendo finally releases the first game in the Mother series, one they originally localized 25 years ago. Here's why you should care—and come prepared.

Article by Bob Mackey, .

Yesterday morning, I said I wanted E3 2015 to surprise me. A few hours later, on the Wii U Virtual Console, Nintendo launched EarthBound Beginnings—their rebranded, English-localized version of the 1989 Famicom RPG, Mother.

You know those people who say, "Be careful what you wish for?" Well, they can go straight to hell.

In case you weren't aware, this is a pretty big damn deal. Nintendo originally localized Mother (its Japanese title) shortly after its 1989 release, and apparently had a 1991 launch date in mind for the USA. Due to unknown factors—most likely, how dated the first Mother looked and played just a few years later—Nintendo abandoned their original plans, and eventually released 1994's Mother 2 under the name they originally planned on giving its predecessor: EarthBound.

We trusted you, Nintendo Power!

Thanks to a prototype discovered in the late 90s, Mother's English language version (usually called EarthBound Zero) has been a known quantity for over 15 years, but yesterday marks the first time this RPG has been made available to Americans through legal means. Oh yeah, and despite what the title screen tells you, it's now called "EarthBound Beginnings." (Now that's a 2015 subtitle if I've ever heard one.)

It goes without saying that if you're a fan of RPGs, classic games, and/or the Mother series, you should be excited. And while I encourage everyone to send Nintendo a paltry $6.99, if only to say "Yes, please keep doing more cool stuff like this," there's probably a bit more you should know about EarthBound Beginnings. As a matter of fact, its new title is a lot more apt than the original one: the first Mother feels very much like a dry run for the superb Mother 2. A good portion of the beats, quirks, characters, and systems from the SNES EarthBound can be found here, albeit delivered in a much less effective way. If you're coming to Beginnings after playing its sequel—as I assume most of you are—don't be surprised to find everything you love about EarthBound, but in a slightly lesser state.

That's not a warning, mind you: It's really more of a disclaimer. Before you start playing EarthBound Beginnings, know what you're getting into. Even if you have a history with this type of old-school RPG, Beginnings is still pretty dated—even for a 1989 release—and requires a significant amount of grinding. And unlike EarthBound, you're not particularly gated from one town to the next as you solve various people's problems: From the beginning, a significant portion of the world map is freely available, and with no clear goal in sight. So if you need to use an FAQ if only to figure out where to go next, there's no shame in that.

Despite my complaints, I really do think Beginnings is worth a playthrough, though you might not get a whole lot out of it unless you're already riding the EarthBound fan train. Still, it features a lot of the stuff that makes EarthBound so great, even if this localization doesn't quite communicate the dry absurdism of series writer Shigesato Itoi as well as the sequel's would. Simply put, there's a reason Nintendo kept so much of Beginnings' content for the next game, especially most of the music. While it doesn't sound quite as good as EarthBound's great sample-based compositions, you'll find plenty of the sequel's song here in 8-bit format. And if you want to be a real EarthBound Beginnings superfan, you can always listen to the unexpectedly great vocal album released in Japan around the time of the game's launch.

It's been a pretty momentous time for EarthBound fans, but before we get a little too excited, it should be said that the release of Beginnings doesn't necessarily mean Mother 3 is on its way. While I'd like nothing more, it's important to remember Nintendo had an existing, in-house translation of Mother—something that's most likely not the case with the most recent sequel. Sure, it seems reasonable for Nintendo to work with the amazing folks who brought us the equally amazing Mother 3 translation back in 2008, but that brand out outsourcing doesn't seem like something Nintendo would ever do.

But, hey: baby steps. Just a handful of years ago, it seemed like EarthBound would never be made available again, and now, two out of the three games can be found on the Wii U's Virtual Console. I'm still holding out hope for a Mother 3 release, but thanks to EarthBound Beginnings, that "stranger things have happened" bar is now set pretty high.

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

Great news for sure. I actually made my own repro of this a while back, but I'd love to own it in a legitimate form.
    This was surprising for sure. Great news. I hope it sells well enough to make more things like this possible.
    I'm still feeling the effect of the announcement yesterday! I've broken out my Japanese copy of Mother a couple of times, but never strayed too far from the first town.

There is something special about this being released on a Nintendo Console in the US for the first time that makes it more than worth $6.99!
  • Avatar for buckupprincess #4 buckupprincess 3 years ago
    I can't be any more pleased with this surprise. I recently purchased a reproduction of the 25th Anniversary edition and the translated 1 + 2 GBA cart so having access to the edition I'm missing is incredibly exciting especially since I can vote with my dollar. Good show, Nintendo.
    Just went to the eshop to grab this just to see it! I hope we get more surprises like this.Edited June 2015 by cldmstrsn
    Since a new Star Fox game is maybe on the way ... do you think there's any chance we could see Star Fox 2 on Virtual Console? Another one of those games that Nintendo apparently finished but never released.
  • Avatar for ShadowTheSecond #7 ShadowTheSecond 3 years ago
    I came into Earthbound Beginnings with no real expectations, and I've been pleasantly surprised. It's a solid RPG, along with the flaws of the era. But like with Phantasy Star, I'm willing to overlook some of the flaws and have a good time.

But Phantasy Star is still better. Seriously, check out the original PS sometime. Great RPG despite the lack of guidance and the need for grinding!
    chad hattenhatten

---
    chad hattenhatten

chadchad hatten
    chad hattmmmen
    ---
    chad hattenhatten
    Very cool. Although I'm not really an Earthbound fan, I'm very happy to see Nintendo show some love for its history and dedicated fans. Here's hoping for Mother 3, I'd like to try it.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #11 brionfoulke91 3 years ago
    This is just awesome news! I played the prototype of this game awhile back, and I love it. In some ways it's rough, but it has all of the charm of the 2nd game, and then some! Fantastic soundtrack, and a fun story with an ending that doesn't disappoint. It really is a classic, and everyone should play it!
    Positive Bob is the best Bob.
    Thanks for the summary. I played Earthbound (2) via emulation so knowing that this original is even more basic is worth preparing for.

Comments