Today was the 2018 BAFTA Game Awards brought to you by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. While games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey have swept game awards all year, the BAFTA Game Awards surprised by giving a good amount of its awards to games like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and Best Game award to What Remains of Edith Finch.
Hellblade from British game developers Ninja Theory was the most nominated game of the night with nine nominations including one for Best Game, the BAFTA's Game of the Year equivalent. Hellblade went away with four wins including awards for Audio Achievement, Artistic Achievement, British Game, and the new Game Beyond Entertainment category. Melina Juergens also won for best video game performance.
Meanwhile, Giant Sparrow took home the Best Game award for What Remains of Edith Finch, a narrative-driven game about the possibly cursed Finch family. This is a rare upset over games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild which won various game of the year awards at the Game Awards and DICE.
This was also a big win for Annapura Interactive, the video game division of Annapurna Films. Annapurna published two award winners tonight including Edith Finch and Jason Roberts' Gorogoa which won Best Debut Game.
All-in-all it was a night for upsets. Even the popular PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds lost the Best Multiplayer category to Divinity: Original Sin 2, the critically-acclaimed dungeon-crawler. With the BAFTA Game Awards all passed out however, it feels like it's time to start focusing on 2018's award contenders.
Here's a full list of winners:
- Best Game - What Remains of Edith Finch
- Best New Original Property - Horizon Zero Dawn
- Best Music - Cuphead
- Best Game Design - Super Mario Odyssey
- Best Evolving Game - Overwatch
- Best Narrative - Night in the Woods
- Game Beyond Entertainment - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- Best Debut Game - Gorogoa
- Best Family Game - Super Mario Odyssey
- Best Mobile Game - Golf Clash
- Artistic Achievement - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- Best Multiplayer - Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Audio Achievement - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- Game Innovation - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Best British Game - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.