Here's Why Mega Man 11's Boss Doors Have People Riled Up

Wiping your feet before entering Block Man's lair is mandatory.

Analysis by Nadia Oxford, .

If your life wasn't consumed by Spider-Man over the weekend (and I hope at least a few of you played Dragon Quest XI), you might've played the Mega Man 11 demo.

The demo lets you run through the entirety of Block Man's stage and then take on the brick-based boss, who howls a Pink Floyd reference at you before the fight starts (bless). Maybe you liked the demo. Maybe you didn't. Maybe you're like me, and you find Mega Man 11's mechanical shift a strange (but not unwelcome) change.

Mega Man 11's demo had people riled up for reasons beyond the Double Gear system, however. See, as per series tradition, Block Man's final lair is guarded by two shutter-style doors. Since day one, it's been Mega Man tradition to leap into said doors, which freezes Mega Man in a jumping position, Matrix-style. But when you try to jump through a door in Mega Man 11, gravity cruelly slams both of Mega Man's feet flat on the ground before the door opens. Forcing Mega Man to walk through the Robot Master's shutter-doors effectively puts an end to 30+ years of airborne boss stage entries.

"IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA WEAR THE BOOTIES, THEN BY GOD, YOU'RE GONNA WIPE YOUR FEET."

There's been a lot of to-do about Mega Man 11's omission on Twitter. Some of it is in pure jest, but there are definitely fans imploring Capcom to fix the "broken" doors in between jokes. "If I don't have [airborne door entry], and just have a game with buster pellets and robot masters, how do I really know it’s a Mega Man game?" asks Kotaku's Heather Alexandra. "Since Mega Man 11 is still in development, let’s hope this is fixed before it comes out on October 2nd."

Others who've chimed in on Mega Man 11's door controversy note it's stupid. Games writer Joe Fourhman also points out it might not be a good idea to bear down on Capcom and tell the company it's "doing it wrong" when Mega Man's been on hiatus for close to a decade.

How about it, then? Are Mega Man fans justified in their confusion, or are they over-reacting? Both sides make good points. Any manner of anger towards Capcom on the door issue is unnecessary (any manner of anger towards a game developer is typically unnecessary, period) and might harm Mega Man's budding revival. At the same time, Mega Man's physics-defying manner of entering boss doors is a constant across most of his 2D games. Jokes about Mega Man floating into battle (which you could even do with immense style while performing a Top Spin in Mega Man 3) have been part of internet culture since the '90s. Having it all yanked away feels…odd.

One Mega Man fan admitted the omission of the door-jump made him worry a bit. If it's gone in Mega Man 11, what other classic Mega Man tropes are being done away with? Do the developers working on the game truly have a grasp on all the little quirks and jokes that've kept the Mega Man franchise alive even during its darkest moments?

IIIIII just wanna fly~

Personally, I'm excited about the changes Mega Man 11 brings to the classic series, but jumping through Impact Man's boss door and immediately finding myself ground-bound made me feel like I'd just taken a bite of pizza that tasted like plasticine. Mega Man 11's unorthodox door mechanics are hardly a deal-breaker for me—but shoot, I do hope they're fixed.

Just a kind, gentle suggestion from a long-time fan, Capcom. Many hugs and hearts (please don't kill Mega Man again oh Lord).

I really don't get being angry over something this minor, especially when one considers the current state of the world. The demo feels classic with some modern twists and plays rather well.Edited 2 weeks ago by nilcam
    Jumping entry? Nah man, it's all about the slide.
    It's a very minor thing, I'm sure most people are not really "angry" about it seriously, but it's a huge and easy PR win to "fix" the doors. This is a funny little story about the specific things that induce nostalgia. Non MM fans are probably curious about what the fuss is about now and are actually reading about the game when they couldn't have cared less before.

The cynical part of me says this was all intentional, but that's crazy, right??
    @nimzy I'm more of a Mega ManX fan so I've always liked to dash into boss rooms. But I like your moxy!
    I don't think anyone is really angry about the doors themselves, but it does raise concerns that if they let this odd iconic thing slide, what else might slide too...

Although, honestly, I really like the odd doors in MM, but it's not like I buy it for that.
    Hardcore fans are generally idiots who fixate too much on a specific thing. Fanatics. Pssh! They can get riled up about anything. I mean, look at last week with Puddlegate. And I'm making that judgment as someone who has been that fan. Many posts I have typed out and then deleted because I realize I'm being an idiot.
    I'm gonna put on my tin foil hat and say that this was intentional to get some people riled up only to fix it later for some positive PR, fully intending to pull this switcheroo from the start.

Conspiracy! Conspiracy I say!
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #8 Funny_Colour_Blue 8 days ago
    @Jonnyboy407 we can always hope.

Honestly though, they've never done it in the 2.5D megamans:

X7 and X8 didn't have it, and neither did Megaman Power up or MaverickHunter X on PSP.
    @ojinnvoltz I'm honestly hoping that Insomniac responds to the stupid puddle complaints by adding in a patch that makes that puddle grow smaller the longer you stare at it then BAM! Hydro-Man pops up and tries to drown your ass.
    We are telling capcom to fix it as fans who care for the franchise. If we dismiss this change.the what about all the future megamans to come. It could have easily been a new developer on the team who didnt know the significance of the doors.
  • Avatar for joshuapierre01 #11 joshuapierre01 8 days ago
    I really kind of don't see why most mega man fans are being upset over one little thing, I mean yes I understand it is wired strange and odd for mega man to falling straight on the ground when he tries to jump through a boss door but that's what makes it realistic. I mean It doesn't really bother me that much I mean it's really REALLY brand new mega man game that were getting after waiting half a decade, but this is no reason to get upset about I kind of miss the floating through the boss door mechanic as much as any other mega man fan especially long time ones. But it's still mega man just one small thing that has been changed it's not like it affects the game in a bad way the gameplay is the same the controls are still the same and with the brand new added double gear system, but still it's mega man just be happy were all getting a brand new mega man game everyone.
    Some of us didn't even make it to the boss yet...
  • Avatar for danielbradley15 #13 danielbradley15 8 days ago
    It's the old players who kept MegaMan alive so a nod to that fact is downright necessary. Omitting the door glitch is akin to Link having to crawl up a stairwell when I'd like to charge it with all my childhood angst instead.
    This almost certainly will not be adjusted before launch (the game isn't 'still under development' as some Twitter folks seem to think, it comes out in weeks, that jank is done), and while I'm disappointed by its exclusion it's hardly enough for me to cancel my pre-order or rant and rave about it online.

Buuuuuut if this game ever gets any substantial tweaks or patches or additional content later on this is something I'm hoping they'll change if it's possible.
    @nimzy To be thorough: You need to be able to float through the doors if you jump, slide standing still if you inch into the door, and walk backwards through the door if you turn around on a stage with slippery floors.
    The last one is my favorite.
    @SpoonyBardOL They should sell door-jumping as DLC.

I might be Satan.