While Hitman 2 is coming out in just a few weeks it wasn't always an easy path to launch as IO Interactive revealed there were some painful layoffs after the initial split with Square Enix last year.
In an interview with Gamespot at PAX Australia Hitman associate director Eskil Mohl said "it's sort of a miracle" that IO survived the split from Square Enix and detailed the layoffs that happened after the events of last year's announcement.
In May 2017 Square Enix said it would be divesting IO Interactive which developed the Hitman series under Square Enix. Even though Square Enix allowed IO Interactive to leave with the Hitman IP rather than shut down the company it was still turbulent for IO.
"Oh shit, we're flying over the Atlantic and we don't have enough gas to get there. So what the hell do we do?" Mohl recalls after the split. Hitman 2 was already in development at the time of the split. And although IO was able to pick up the pieces and find a publisher in Warner Bros. IO lost employees.
"We had to let a lot of people go. But that made the team that was left really come together [and say] 'Let's do this, we believe in the product.' We were already working on Hitman 2 and then this thing happened."
Mohl said that it helped unify the team and we're looking forward to seeing the completed results of their labor. Hitman 2 will be a standalone game eschewing the seasonal format of Hitman. We have a preview of Hitman 2 here as well as a reveal of Hitman 2's first elusive target the undying Sean Bean.
Hitman 2 is coming out on November 13 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. For more check out our Hitman 2 guide for everything we know.
USgamer is a part of the Gamer Network owned by ReedPop! Which operates events including PAX Australia.