Humble Bundle for the Neo Geo 25th Anniversary Sounds Amazing

For only $10, Humble Bundle is offering an astounding cornucopia of classic gaming, but there's a catch.

News by Mike Williams, .

It's been 25 years since SNK's Neo Geo arcade board and home console were released. The actual anniversary was on April 26 of this year, but SNK Playmore has been celebrating the anniversary for some time now, primarily with its work on the upcoming King of Fighters XIV. Today, SNK Playmore has tried to outdo itself in partnership with Humble Bundle.

The Neo Geo 25th Anniversary Humble Bundle looks like the best bundle many have seen on the site. It's not just that titles like King of the Monsters, The Last Blade, Shock Troopers, Twinkle Star Sprites, and Sengoku 3 are being officially released on PC for the first time ever. It's not just that paying $10 gets you 21 classic Neo Geo games and the Neo Geo 25th Anniversary soundtrack. It's not just the fact that you're getting two Samurai Shodown games (II and V), four Metal Slugs (1, 2, 3, and X), or three King of Fighters games (98, 2000, 2002).

Yessssssss.

The best part is the Neo Geo 25th Anniversary Humble Bundle is finally bringing legit copies of Garou: Mark of the Wolves to PC. For $10. Garou: Mark of the Wolves may be my favorite SNK fighting game ever. It never had a sequel, but it was just perfectly animated, the mechanics were solid without being too complicated, and the cast was just the right size. Garou is an amazing game that stands alone.

Of course, the headline says the Humble Bundle "sounds amazing". Here's why: the non-Steam games in the Bundle are literally ROMs of the original titles that run in a browser window. People are reporting that each game is packaged with a DotEmu emulator. They're running in MVS mode, with gamepad and save state support. You're not getting detailed graphical options and there's no online play if you wanted to challenge your friends. If you're willing to work with these stipulations, you should get on that bundle.

The full list of games:

• Last Blade
  • Pulstar
  • Metal Slug (Steam)
  • Metal Slug 3 (Steam)
  • Shock Troopers
  • Neo Turf Masters
  • King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match Final Edition (Steam)
  • Twinkle Star Sprites
  • Neo Geo 25th Anniversary Soundtrack

Pay $10 or More:

• Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad
  • Samurai Showdown V Special
  • Garou Mark of the Wolves
  • Metal Slug X (Steam)
  • King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match (Steam)

Pay $40 or More:

• Neo Geo 25th Anniversary Metal Slug T-Shirt

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

So only 5 of them are proper Steam games, while the rest are only running in a browser window? That's disappointing, the great Neo Geo would deserve better for its 25th birhtday.
    I wish Garou was available everywhere. If any game on this list is deserving of some love it's that one.
    Supposedly — supposedly! — they're actually going to be adding even more games as the sale goes on, and you'll have access to any games they add within the price tier you pay. Fingers crossed for Windjammers! And Blazing Star. And Waku Waku 7. And Neo Drift Out. And and and...

The limitations are definitely disappointing, although at least you can download them and play them offline with gamepad support, which is not nothing. (And it does have the side effect that Mac-owning folks like myself aren't left out in the cold, which we often are when it comes to this sort of thing.) It's not a lot of functionality, but hey, it's at least as much as the original arcade games, which is probably enough to make me happy. At least, for $10 it is.
    Well, i just bought the bundle but the emulation doesn't work properly, runs WAY too fast so it's impossible to play, any ideas on how to fix this?
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #5 SatelliteOfLove 2 years ago
    This 2015: A Year of Dreams is leading to a 2016: A Year of Debt.
    I just tried to run Pulstar on my MacBook Pro(2012 Quad Core i7). It forced me to use Firefox, and it was a stuttering mess right from the NeoGeo logo.

Pass.
    Hmm I bought it before I knew.
    @Patrick-C Hmm, don't count on those. All the games in the package are SNK franchises, while the three excellent games you listed are by Data East, Sunsoft and Visco respectively. I don't know who owns Data East's back-catalogue at the moment, but Sunsoft and Visco still live.
    These comments are actually scaring me off from doing this. I know ten clams is a small price to pay for legit versions of these games, but this is making me antsy
    @misanthrobob Oof, I knew that about Windjammers but didn't realize it about the other two. My dreams have been thoroughly dashed. Still holding out for Blazing Star, though.

@hanschinaski Folks on Reddit are saying it's a monitor thing; the games run at 60Hz so if your monitor is set at 120Hz they'll be all messed up. Your mileage on that may vary, and like I said it's second-hand, but if you can adjust your monitor's refresh rate that may help.Edited 2 times. Last edited December 2015 by Patrick-C
    I got the lowest tier to try out the non-steam games. What's disappointing is that there doesn't seem to be a way to remap the buttons for controller or keyboard.
    @misanthrobob A company called G-Mode owned the rights to Data East's back catalog for the last 10 years or so, but Marvelous bought G-Mode and acquired the rights Data East's games earlier this year. Whoever owns the rights needs to finally give us an official release of Ghostlop; they're sitting on a goldmine!
    Someone pointed out that the ROM sets supplied will also work swimmingly in MAME, so that's a good option if DotEmu's supplied software isn't working out.
    The inclusion of Samurai Showdown 2 just makes me sad that SNK had to par back its projects so much, but given its history, I am glad it just exists. I can only hope it can gradually regain its footing so we see the return of more of its catalogue.
    @superberg Download the version packaged with the emulator. They all ran super smoothly for me
    I'm really surprised that Garou isn't available on more platforms. It is absolutely SNK's magnum opus and on par with Third Strike. The lack of a Steam version is shocking and its not on PSN either. The 360 XBLA version is great though.
  • Avatar for koalpastor30 #17 koalpastor30 2 years ago
    I simply can't play these games on my PC. ughh. At least I have a few of these on Wii Virtual Channel
    @misanthrobob @Patrick-C Although Waku Waku 7 is indeed a Sunsoft game, SNK Playmore has published it in the past on the Japanese PS2 Sunsoft Collection (part of the Neo Geo Online Collection series of ports), comprised of Galaxy Fight and Waku Waku 7. So I wouldn't completely discount the possibility they could release it again in some form.
    @thewonps You'll probably be pleased to know that just this week a Steam database entry was discovered, and seems to indicate that Garou IS coming to Steam pretty soon.

As for this bundle, the browser emulations are a huge turn off to me.

In particular, the first EVER official release of Samurai Shodown V Special (not vanilla SSV as Mike mentioned in the article) on a non Neo Geo platform. This was a true holy grail game, the final official SNK release on the Neo Geo system. Popular rumor even has it that SNK intentionally wanted to leave it Neo exclusive to remain more "special" as the final game, sort of a weird love letter to the wonderful system. And now... this weird emulation? That's profoundly sad, the game deserves better. Like a revamped "Ultimate Match" style release, maybe on PS4/Steam? Oh well, I'll stick to my prized AES cart - yeah that's bragging a little bit, but it's kinda the pride of my Neo collection :)Edited December 2015 by hamfighter
    Given that they're ROMs, you can at least run them in more full-featured emulators, right?
    Even with all the catches, I'm still willing to give them money so I can have a legit copy of Twinkle Star Sprites

Comments