Hyrule Warriors Comes to Switch With Definitive Edition

You won't find a better version of Hyrule Warriors.

News by Mike Williams, .

Nintendo is giving Hyrule Warriors one last release, following the Wii U and 3DS versions. The original releases presented a Zelda adventure in the style of Omega Force's Dynasty Warriors series, with the Zelda characters fighting against huge armies of foes. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition includes the original game and all the downloadable content, meaning you get a full roster of 29 characters. The game will also include new outfits for Link and Zelda based on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

When the game is docked, Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition is playable in 1080p, and we guess it's likely a native 720p for the portable side. Two player multiplayer is available on a single Switch with each player using a single Joy-Con.

This is great move, as the Wii U version was pretty good, but lacked portability and had a few performance issues when a ton of enemies were onscreen. The 3DS version increased those performance issues, with some poor image quality. Hopefully, Nintendo, Team Ninja, and Omega Force have stomped out those performance problems for some smooth play on Nintendo Switch.

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition is coming to Nintendo Switch this Spring.

SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy on the Switch? Excellent.Edited January 2018 by SIGGYZtar
    One more thing. Good thing Nintendo has not said anything about the Switch Online service yet.
    At this point, it's comical how many Wii U games are being ported.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #4 Godots17thCup 3 months ago
    Yes, yeeesss, give me all of the Wii U ports!
    I've always wanted to play this but I got Fire Emblem Warriors and did not like it. This still looks better to me.
    I was actually saying the other day that I'd like to have a Switch version of Hyrule Warriors that combined the best of both of the previous versions. (The 3DS game actually added some pretty significant gameplay improvements, including the ability to switch which character you're controlling on the fly.)
    @chaoticBeat If you didn't like Fire Emblem Warriors, you probably won't like Hyrule Warriors either unless you're into Zelda enough that seeing Fi and Ruto fighting alongside each other is enough make a difference. (And hey, maybe it is, that's why I like the Lego Marvel games and don't like any of the other Lego games.) They're basically the same game.
    @Roto13 Does Fire Emblem Warriors have additional Fire Emblem-like strategy game components on top of the Dynasty Warriors gameplay? I'm wary of it for that reason if it's true, and I loved Hyrule Warriors.
    Definitely excited about this one. Had a lot of fun with Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, and I was hoping for a better portable option for the game.
  • Avatar for One_Vurfed_Gwrx #9 One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 months ago
    Typical, just a few weeks after Infinally decided to grab a slightly reduced 3DS version. Means I can skip DLC for it though... Enjoyed the game on WiiU though from what I played. Split screen will be a bit weaker than the WiiU multiscreen but cannot be helped so...
    @Roto13 Thanks for that. I don't think this one is for me then. So far, the only musou that I've really dug has been Attack on Titan. I definitely plan on getting AoT 2 on Switch if it runs well.
    @ruler26 A few mechanics from the Fire Emblem series are copied over or adapted, but there's not really any more strategy to it than any other musou. The weapon triangle is in it, and there's a version of the pair-up system. Aesthetically, the History Mode looks like a turn-based Fire Emblem battle, but functionally it's just a way of presenting a menu.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #12 LBD_Nytetrayn 3 months ago
    But is the 3DS version's ability to switch between playable characters on the battlefield present? That's what I want to know.
    @LBD_Nytetrayn I can't imagine it wouldn't be. It's the standard for the series now.
    @LBD_Nytetrayn In some of the menus we see slots for 4 characters, so I'm willing to assume we've got a few characters in here.

I am unsure if I want this. Hyrule Warriors is easily my favourite warriors game, and my 3DS broke before I finished the first adventure map, so I'm sort of tempted.

Comments