Lawbreakers, Radical Heights Studio Boss Key Productions is Closed Says Founder Cliff Bleszinski

Bleszinski of Gears of War fame shared the news on Twitter.

News by Matt Kim, .

Cliff Bleszinski announced today that his video game studio, Boss Key Productions, will be closing after the commercial failure of Lawbreakers.

In a statement issued on Twitter, Bleszinski writes, "Lawbreakers was a great game that unfortunately failed to gain traction, and, in a last ditch attempt we scrambled to do our take on the huge battle royale genre with Radical Heights which was well received, however, it was too little too late."

The shuttering of Boss Key appears immediate, and Bleszinski says that he will be taking time off to reflect. He also says that the servers for Radical Heights will remain up for the time being, though only for the near future.

Lawbreakers' troubles are well-documented. The game failed to connect with a large audience almost from the beginning, and the game's publisher Nexon wrote off the game after disappointing returns.

Radical Heights was Boss Key's entry into the battle royale genre, but was released in a very early access. Bleszinski's revelation that Radical Heights was a last ditch effort to save Boss Key sheds some light on the game's sudden release and early development.

This is a developing story and we will have more updates as we gather more information.

Radical Heights was a bone stupid idea, trying to charge into a saturated genre. What takes the cake though is that apparently Cliffy didn't even tell his staff the studio was closing. He yanked the rug out from under them. https://twitter.com/ron_lajoie/status/996093337672273920
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #2 WiIIyTheAntelope 7 days ago
    Can't say that I didn't see this one coming, but I figured Radical heights would flounder for at least 6 months first.
  • Avatar for scottygrayskull #3 scottygrayskull 7 days ago
    I'm not terribly surprised, as they came to two genres too late with underwhelming products, but it's still sad news. Here's hoping everybody there lands back on their feet.
    What a fall.
    Well, they tried. I feel really bad that things didn't work out for them, I think they put a lot of heart into Lawbreakers, It just didn't have the aesthetic or gameplay loop that I was looking for, and it seems like those who might have wanted that had other options already. It's really hard to guess what the market will be into years down the pipe, and they guessed wrong.
    This is unfortunate. I like the LawBreakers beta enough that i bought the full copy right at release. I guess I'm in the demographic where I played enough UT '99 that I would be in to a modern remake crossed with an Overwatch-style character shooter. But when I would log in and see only 12 other concurrent users worldwide, it was time to move on.

Comments