Long Lost RPGs We Desperately Want to Play, but Probably Never Will

AXE OF THE BLOOD GOD | With Kat on vacation, Nadia and guest host Anthony Agnello talk about "lost" RPGs, the dismal state of game preservation in general, and the joy of Dragon's Crown Pro.

Article by Nadia Oxford, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey and Nadia Oxford. You can find the previous episodes here.

Did you know Kat sometimes takes vacations? Yeah! That's a good thing! And she'll totally come back, right? It's not going to be like the time my dad said he was going to get a pack of smokes and never came home. Right?

As for us here at USgamer, the show must go on, and the Blood God must be appeased. That's why I'm joined by VentureBeat's Anthony Agnello this week. We talk at length about "lost" role-playing games we'll never get to play because someone used the source code as a tissue and threw it away [download link here]. Think Panzer Dragoon Saga-which Agnello totally played because he found a Saturn and the game at an unbelievable price. There are more than enough abandoned games to warrant a meaty discussion on the topic, though. Thanks / no thanks to video games' general failure at preservation.

Also on the menu: Dragon, dragon, rock the dragon, Dragon's Crown Pro.

Don't forget to follow Anthony on Twitter and check out the Continue Podcast! Special shout-out to Hardcore Gaming 101 for the Princess Crown box scan used in today's header.

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Kat had the nerve to take a vacation, so Nadia drags out a ghost-editor from her history as a freelancer, Anthony John Agnello, and orders him to co-host this week. They talk about old times before diving into the sad state of game preservation and how the Wii U's diminishing presence is adding to the problem [5:20]. Then Anthony wonders if Montreal Eidos working on the Shadow of the Tomb Raider means we'll never see a Deus Ex game again (and Nadia proves how alert she is by mixing up Eidos and Ubisoft) [15:20]. The duo celebrate the beautiful RPG / beat-em-up hybrid, Dragon's Crown Pro, featuring the peerless art of the mad god George Kamitami [36:20] before launching into their wish list of untouchable RPGs that are lost to the future [43:20].

Agnello talking about the lengths he took to play some obscure RPGs made me think of the pointless things I've done throughout the years in my desire to play more Japanese games. I was in receipt of a modded PS1 for quite a long time, but all I did with it was play my legit copies of Final Fantasy VII and VIII. I was told it could play bootleg games, and the only game that wasn't original was a Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, which was oddly a black disc. It wasn't until like the late PS2 era that I bothered to test my PS1's capabilities, and my first purchase was overpaying for Maxell CD-Rs at the local Staples instead of going to J&R.

My first game I decided to test was a game that caught my eye, Super Robot Wars Alpha. I played 3 for the SNES, and the GBA games, but wanted to dip my toe into the CD arena. It wasn't a regular copy, but a fantranslated version that only replaced the text of all the menus. The game constantly froze, but managed to finish it all the way to the end. I then became a bigger fan, and even imported Alpha 2 for the PS2 later on.

I'd have to be thankful for that PS1 system, considering it led me on a dual path of finding obscure games to play, and obscure games to buy. It may not be John's Sega Saturn story (I did get one to play Albert Odyssey), but that's a path that I'm still traveling on.
    Ever since I've learned of their existence, I've really wanted to play the Tengai Makyō/Far East of Eden games. As far as I'm aware none of them are translated except for Zero, which only came out a few months ago. I haven't given it a try yet, but hearing this discussion is making me think I should jump on that. Although Zero seems different from the other mainline games to me.

I particularly want to play the spin-off "The Fourth Apocalypse" since it takes place in a satirical/fantasy version of 1800s America. Also interesting, is apparently Joe Hisaishi of Ghibli fame did some of the music for the second game.

I'm assuming these will never come out, partially because these are Hudson Soft games, and they're probably just too much to translate for any company or fan translators. But I really would love to play them.
    @MonkeydogPOZ Oriental Blue is in English I think.
    Panzer Dragoon Saga was my white whale for quite some time, but I got to finish it last Fall, and it was pretty much a great as everyone says it is. (Plays fine in Mednafen, in case anyone is wondering, but setting up the emulator is kind of a pain in the butt.)

My new white whales are probably the first four Sakura Taisen entries which, as far as I know, have not been translated. I own all four, but can't read Japanese yet (working on it), so someday I might get to play them...
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #5 Funny_Colour_Blue 16 days ago
    Dark Savior for sega saturn.

back in 96, my friend got it for his birthday - I thought it was the hottest jrpg of all time - from the very beginning of the game, you're escorting some serial killing monster to a prisoners island of some sort: but it escapes!

So your very first mission from the get go, is to reach the captain's cabin in 4 minutes in order to trap the monster or something. I failed at that - but then like, every battle in the game is like a 2D fighting game, with rounds.

I only played this game for a extremely brief moment of my life, but I totally remember how cool it was - fighting games like street fighter and virtua fighter were huge at the time, so for jrpgs to use them as random battles, just blew my mind - and then to put multiple endings ontop of that...

This was a really interesting game, that took jrpgs too a really interesting place, years before FF7 would do something similar. I'll probably never have the money, the space, or the time to own a sega saturn and a gently used copy of Dark Savior.

But when people talk about "new" jrpg experiences, this is one of those games developers REALLY need to check out.

I really want to play this game!!Edited 3 weeks ago by Funny_Colour_Blue
    Just a reminder that RPG Limit Break starts next Sunday (May 13th). 7 days straight of RPG speedrunning in support of NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www.twitch.tv/rpglimitbreak Schedule: https://horaro.org/rpglb/2018
  • Avatar for Jeremiah-Jones #7 Jeremiah-Jones 2 days ago
    I'm so glad to hear someone complain about Xenoblade Chronicles X in the ways I did about the original game. The NPCs are the laziest people I've ever come across. Reyn carried that game.

The game I wish had come out over here is The Last Ranker. I just love the art style. There is a partial English translation out there, but It seems like a one that got away.

Comments