Mana Producer Would Love to Remake or Port Seiken Densetsu 3

A potential Seiken Densetsu 3 release is on Square Enix' radar.

News by Mike Williams, .

With the release of the Secret of Mana remake, Square Enix has given players the first two games in the Seiken Densetsu series. For fans in the West, Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden in Japan) and Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) have been available in the past, but we've yet to receive an officially-translated version of Seiken Densetsu 3. That title originally released on Super Famicom in 1995, but was also included in the Seiken Densetsu Collection for Nintendo Switch in Japan last year.

Adventures of Mana and Secret of Mana are 3D remakes of the the first Seiken Densetsu games, so fans have been wondering: when can we expect a remake and Western release for Seiken Densetsu 3? Mana series producer Masaru Oyamada was recently asked whether fans would get a remake or straight port of the original game, like the Nintendo Switch version of Romancing SaGa 2.

"No matter which I choose it will be quite difficult, as the title is very large in terms of volume," Oyamada told Siliconera. "I understand the comments about wanting to play it as-is in the original pixel format, but I also feel that if we were to resolve the complaints and frustrations from the original, it might be a smoother transition into the future if we remade the game like we did this time. If I had the bandwidth, I would love to go in both directions. But in any case, I will do my best to meet the expectations of those who are waiting."

That's a non-committal answer, but at the very least there's hope. Maybe one day, we'll be able to play an official version of Seiken Densetsu 3 in English.

• Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #1 SatelliteOfLove 27 days ago
    I would give cash money for this bad boy like RS2.

"but I also feel that if we were to resolve the complaints and frustrations from the original, it might be a smoother transition into the future if we remade the game like we did this time" I mean I wouldn't mind that but based on what Jeremy and Nadia said they didn't really do that with Secret of Mana. I don't know whether or not I would rather play the SNES version (again since I played it on emulator over a decade ago) or a complete remake with new visuals. I mean I'm old enough where I see pixels as god gift to man but people younger than me tend to look down at them so I can see why Square would rather do a 2.5D version to sell to westerners.
    Secret of Mana 2 had maybe the most gorgeous pixel art on the SNES. It looks phenomenal to this day. I would hate a polygon version (at least one as cheap looking as the recent remakes) .

Port the original!
  • Avatar for ericspratling56 #4 ericspratling56 26 days ago
    @captainN2 A straight port would be preferable to a repeat of the SoM remake's mistakes, but as it is SD3 is in *dire* need of fixing.

Several of the stats are broken and don't do what they're supposed to do. The class change system as presented in-game is completely obtuse, and each character's final class is locked behind incredibly rare item drops. Combat is often a maddening chore because special attack & spell animations stop ALL the action on-screen (as opposed to in SoM where they only halted the caster & target), and even lock you out of menus during their wind-up.

In my ideal fantasy world they'd make an HD port of the original with tons of bug fixes and other quality-of-life improvements, but that's highly unlikely. It will likely be a choice between a straight port with all the original "frustrations," or a remake that (possibly) fixes them all but also obliterates the original's charm. The way to get the most out of the game will likely remain to be via an emulator so you can fast-forward the slow parts of battles & goose the item drop system, and extensive FAQ research so you can see which class changes & party combos are viable as well as what stats to avoid investing in.
    Can't wait for the downgrade
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #6 The-Challenger 26 days ago
    @captainN2 Yeah, I have to agree.

Surely they won't make it look like the recent Mana remake. Then again, if it means they can shit it out in half the amount of time, I assume the fugly graphics will be defacto choice.
  • Avatar for FreakazoidRobot #7 FreakazoidRobot 26 days ago
    I loved that game. Hope they do it, and more importantly that they do a better job with it than the Secret of Mana remake.