Mario Comes to iOS in Super Mario Run

Nintendo brings an official Mario game to Apple devices.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

Super Mario is coming to iOS, though not in a traditional hop-and-bop adventure. The game, Super Mario Runs, is an endless 2D running game, an extremely popular niche for platforming characters gone mobile.

Legendary Nintendo game developer Shigeru Miyamoto actually joined Apple CEO Tim Cook on the stage of Apple's iPhone Event today to announce the game. It's new territory for Mario, as games based around Nintendo's mascot usually have to be played with two hands. Super Mario Run, however, can be played with a single finger.

As with most endless running games, Mario constantly progresses from left to right. When you tap, he jumps over (or on) obstacles and enemies. The game's graphical style adopts the New Super Mario Bros titles.

Super Mario Run also features a "Toad Rally" mode that appears to let you race against other players' ghosts and compete for high scores.

Interestingly, Super Mario Run will reportedly be a paid app that lacks in-app purchases. Nearly all endless running games are free-to-play, but that little twist of rebellion is a true Nintendo touch.

Super Mario Run is "Coming Soon" in the Holiday 2016 timeframe. A price has yet to be announced.

(Thanks, Ars Technica)

A safe choice to continue the smartphone game initiative but things will only evolve from here. Actually really happy it's a paid app and with actual levels.
    Everybody who opposed Nintendo going mobile did so because they thought it'd be dumb stuff like a Mario endless runner. So yeah. I can't wait for Nintendo's Flappy Bird clone!
    @Compeau Not all endless runners are created equal, though! Rayman Jungle Run and Rayman Fiesta Run are excellent. I'm relatively confident Nintendo wouldn't let Miyamoto on-stage in the enemy camp to promote a game that will wind up being hot garbage. I guess we'll see.
    Didn't Nintendo say before that they'd make something on mobile that only they could make instead of following the trends? Maybe I imagined that. Regardless, an endless runner is derivative and disappointing.

At least I still have Fire Emblem Mobile to look forward to.

@nadiaoxford Wasn't Miyamoto on-stage for Wii Music at E3? Edited September 2016 by Namevah
    @Namevah You've got me there. Edited 2 times. Last edited September 2016 by nadiaoxford
    I'm excited. Sure, endless runners are very common on mobile but I would love to see Nintendo's spin on this. It's the natural evolution of Mario to the mobile platform.
    I really liked the SMB runner levels in NES Remix.
    Um... I'm pretty sure it wasn't an endless runner.... Not only did I see Mario end a level at a flagpole, there was a screen of 8x4 level icons to choose from...
    @fstim82 Yeah, it's an auto-runner, which is slightly different. See the Rayman runner games.
    @zidanix Me too. I wasn't sold until I found out it was a paid app. FTP is too much of a turn-off for me these days.
    @Soapfish I'm fine with it if microtrasactions are limited to cosmetic changes.
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #12 UnskippableCutscene 2 years ago
    We have an exclusivity breach
    I repeat, we have a exclusivity breach, a class-1 property has left the containment zone.
    Observers are asked to please remain seated and fasten their safety belts. In accordance with Regulation CD-I, canon discontinuity shall commence shortly.
    In the event of a Zelda title on PlayStation, hyperventilation bags will be distributed. Remember to breathe and ask an IP Evacuation Tech if you need assistance.

Nintendo is officially competing against themselves now. It'll be interesting to see how long they try this before wondering why they won't cut their losses.Edited 2 times. Last edited September 2016 by UnskippableCutscene
    On one hand, I’m not exactly surprised. It was obvious they were going to bring Mario to mobile at some point and an auto-runner is the simplest way to adapt the classic platforming gameplay. On the other hand, I’m also disappointed, because an auto-runner is still the most derivative thing they could have done with the franchise on mobile.

I suppose they realized they were leaving a lot of money on the table, what with the many unofficial endless and auto runners that use Mario’s assets and are already on the App Store (will they finally start cracking down on those?).

At least it’s premium priced and the levels are handcrafted instead of procedural, so I presume it will have a certain level of quality.Edited September 2016 by docexe
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #14 donkeyintheforest 2 years ago
    @nadiaoxford As some others have mentioned, I think this is a runner, but not an endless runner. It has pre-made levels as opposed to procedurally generated ones from the sound of it. This could be much more fun.

Still, it think it could be argued that with single finger controls the gameplay boils down to the timed tap of the angle/distance slider in golf games (albeit with a more complicated visualization). Maybe it has swipes! Deep!
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #15 VotesForCows 2 years ago
    As others have said, the Rayman games on iOS set a good precedent for quality crossovers to mobile. They're literally the only games on mobile that I've really enjoyed!
    A horizontally scrolling game in portrait mode. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Depressing really.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #17 LBD_Nytetrayn 2 years ago
    @Compeau In fairness, Nintendo sort of did it first with Balloon Fight's Balloon Trip, so they could theoretically adapt that and not really be in the wrong.

As for this, I remember some people hoping that Nintendo might do something like the running warp levels from NSMB2 for iPhone, but following the Rayman style looks maybe a bit more appealing.
    @moroboshi This was my thought.

But, let's break down the game and it's audience.

It's a ONE HANDED experience. Implying your other hand could be used for something else, like, holding your bag while waiting for the bus, holding something for stability on public transport etc.

It's audience, people out and about often with one hand being used with a few minutes to kill.

This is Nintendo understanding the market they (think) they are selling to. And under that mindset it's quite sensible much like all the dragon quest mobile releases being portrait.

Portrait mode games are for casuals. Landscape mode games are for the hardcore.
    @moroboshi This was my thought.

But, let's break down the game and it's audience.

Portrait mode games are for casuals. Landscape mode games are for the hardcore.
  • Avatar for brodiejohn13 #20 brodiejohn13 2 years ago
    Not free to play...YAY!!
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #21 Captain-Gonru 2 years ago
    @LBD_Nytetrayn I was thinking either Balloon Trip, or something new with Kirby, as he may be more recognizable to a younger audience.
    Sigh... Ok... Trying to withhold judgment till I've played it. Maybe it'll be good
    Makes sense to use the NSMB aesthetic since it's intentionally something familiar presented in a more mobile-friendly format, but it still looks bleh. Mario Maker-style re-skins pls!
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #24 Captain-Gonru 2 years ago
    @Namevah Did you not hear? Both the Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem games have been delayed because of this. Or coincidentally at the same time this Mario game was announced. There's an article about it over at Nintendolife.com, where I already exhausted my ranting over it, in case you think I'm one of those dicks that trolls people online with lies. Crazy notion on the internet, I know.
    @moroboshi You need to understand this is at its core a Japanese game, and most Japanese games on phones are in landscape mode because that is what the Japanese consumer demand is at for mobile gaming.
    It doesn't look like an endless runner, to me. It seems like it has actual designed levels that end, instead of the continually generated stuff. Could be fun for what it is. Maybe the best a Mario platformer can be on a device without button?
    Miyamoto has always been best when he allows his creativity to run wild. This looks like a typical new super Mario bros with those obligatory patented tweaks someone playing a lesser role would have (in his case: fine tuning the jump mechanics, ensuring the game is tested well enough and etc.), which I find frankly very underwhelming. But its easy cash I'll say that. With how conservative nintendo has been playing lately (and I include Breath of the Wild in that), I worry for Nintendo's future. Creativity is what makes nintendo stand out. Not playing it safe.Edited September 2016 by gamingiszen
    Most awaited Super Mario game is finally released for iOS and it's now available for free on appvalley apk. All latest premium apps are available for free on this app. Edited August 2017 by madia2
    Yaay, It is really a good news for Super Mario addicts like me and you too can try it out AppValley.VIP
    It is a must have application for Super Mario Fan Club Colors Super Live Stream
    Deleted May 2018 by john-carey
    @john-carey The same is with me also I love to play Nintendo games, they are amazing. And Mario makes me remember about my childhood. Thax usgamer.net to recall my childhood.
    Deleted May 2018 by john-carey