Masahiro Sakurai is Working on Smash Bros Switch in an Unspecified Role

The long time Smash Bros director is working on the latest Switch entry to the series.

News by Matt Kim, .

Longtime Super Smash Bros. director, Masahiro Sakurai, announced that he will return for the Switch version of Super Smash Bros, though it's unclear as to what capacity he will be working on the game.

"Right now we're just at the stage where we revealed this game, but I've been working on this game in silence day after day," said Sakurai in a tweet translated by SourceGaming. "Please wait until we can release more information, or until release day!"

Super Smash Bros for the Switch was announced in yesterday's Nintendo Direct, though it was only a brief tease of the upcoming game. While we know that the Splatoon Inklings will be playable characters in the Switch version, it's still unclear if the Switch game is a port of an existing Super Smash Bros. title, or an entirely new entry.

The debate on whether or not the new Switch Super Smash Bros. game is a port or original game has consumed the conversation regarding the game's reveal, though we don't expect Sakurai's announcement that he's working on the new Smash Bros. game to shed any light on that question. Sakurai has been the director on all the Super Smash Bros. games since the first one released on the Nintendo 64 back in 1999.

We do hope for his sake that he's taking it easy considering how publically he's recounted his struggles with his physical health while working on the previous Super Smash Bros. games.

We expect to hear more about the new Super Smash Bros. game soon, considering that the game is currently slated for a 2018 launch on the Nintendo Switch. Check out everything we know in our guide to Super Smash Bros Switch.

On one hand if it's a port I wouldn't mind because if they bring the entire existing game and build on it I'll be happy since I never played the Wii U game. Leave all of the DLC fighters, add new stages, create a singleplayer mode (kinda like how they created a proper battle mode for Mario Kart 8 making that game actually the best one).

On the other hand, it's been 4 years since the Wii U game and that's ample time to create a sequel, so I can see it going either way. The fact that they did not release this closer to launch and that they revealed it the way they did makes me think this is more of a brand new game though. I don't think they'd save an end of presentation "BUT WAIT THERE'S ONE MORE REVEAL" to be just a port. I think this is SSB5.Edited March 2018 by NiceGuyNeon
    I hope Sakurai took some vacation before starting development of the new game, and that he is not pressuring himself so much. He did have some serious health problems during the development of the previous entries and even commented how he was considering quitting the franchise altogether.
    It’s new because the logo is new! If it were a port it would have been the Smash 4 logo and said “for Nintendo Switch.”
    @NiceGuyNeon It being an upgraded port of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS (hereby referred as “Smash 4” to abbreviate) would be understandable, given the number of updated ports from the Wii U that Nintendo has been releasing (or its planning to release) for the Switch.

On the other hand, it being a proper sequel is indeed not farfetched at all. Smash 4 started development in March of 2012 and released in late 2014 (early October on the 3DS, late November on the Wii U). So it was in development for around 2 and a half years. The last DLC pack for Smash 4 came out in February of 2016. Assuming that Sakurai and his team started development of the Switch’s game shortly afterwards (probably in March or April), and that Nintendo plans to release it on late 2018 (very likely on late November again), the new game would also have a development period of around two and a half years.

Granted, even if Smash Bros. for Switch is a full-fledged sequel, I won’t be surprised if Sakurai and co. end recycling a lot of assets from Smash 4. Indeed, best case scenario, I’m expecting that at least half of the stages of the game will be “nostalgia levels” taken directly from the Wii U and 3DS versions.
  • Avatar for Number1Laing #5 Number1Laing 6 months ago
    @docexe I’d be surprised if it is a port. This is going To be their big holiday game - tough to get too excited for a port of a 4 year old game, even if you’re a big fan. I just think that if it was a port they would have said so. Right now all we have is a tease and people are going to break it down and hype it up - it is tough after all that to come out and say this is another Wii U port.

The reaction to the announcement was so weird - people didn’t expect a SSB so soon, unless it was a port, so therefore this is a port. Except not really.

The game will look and play like Smash Bros 4 but that’s because it is a Smash Bros game. I expect it will be a proper new entry.
    I hope he takes it easy, you can't just keep risking your life for Smash Bros.
    @docexe tbh I love the nostalgia levels because they play like a greatest hits to go along with the new levels. It's been working wonderfully for Mario Kart basically doubling the number of maps available each game. I'd be happy with that here too.
    @Number1Laing I’m more inclined to think it’s going to be a full-fledged sequel. As you point out, it’s unlikely that Nintendo would have their big game for the holidays be a port. Still, given that you really never know with them, I’m not entirely discarding the possibility.

@NiceGuyNeon Oh, I certainly love some of the old stages. I would just prefer to see more new ones. I also preferred the approach of the Nostalgia courses in Mario Kart 8 because of the many changes they did to them in order to fit with the new gameplay elements, like the antigravity and underwater sections.
    I think the biggest failing of this announcement is that people have no idea if this is a new hand or an enhanced port.
    @CipherStone So true. There would be no speculation if it was clarified right from the get go.

Comments