Mega Man Movie is in Development at Fox

Yes? No? I'm confused. Why is this happening?

Analysis by Mike Williams, .

Movies based on games are rarely any good. We're two weeks out from the release of Hitman Agent 47 in theatres. The film, the second based on Square Enix and IO Interactive's Hitman franchise is sitting at 7 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Agent 47 made back its budget of $35 million last weekend, so the film is in the black, but it's not really a success creatively if the critical reception is any indication. Pixels, featuring characters from classic arcade games, flew through the box office with only a 17 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

A Mega Man animated movie like the Archie Comics could be decent.

There are glimmers of hope and failure out there. Dead Rising: Watchtower, produced by Legendary Pictures' digital division and available for free on Crackle, looks to be at least as cheesy as the game series that spawned it. Assassin's Creed from Sony Pictures and Ubisoft Motion Pictures has a better chance of being a quality film. The latter company is the point of interest, with Ubisoft having a strong hand in the film's production, while still relying on the expertise of proven filmmakers. (The film's star, Michael Fassbender, also helps a bit.)

Legendary Pictures also has Warcraft from Moon director Duncan Jones coming June 10, 2016. The sequel to the Need for Speed film will be a partnership with a Chinese production company and will be shot largely on location in China. Capcom's Resident Evil is the highest-grossing film series based on a game, with $915 million in box office across five films. The last film, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, is coming in 2017.

That series is probably the impetus for a Mega Man film, which just entered development at 20th Century Fox, according to the Tracking Board. The film will be produced by Chernin Entertainment, with producer Peter Chernin taking the lead. Chernin has produced Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Oblivion, The Heat, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Spy, and Exodus: God and Kings. That's a decent track record, with the exception of Exodus.

Of course, the question is... how do you do a Mega Man film? What form does that take? My assumption is such a film will be bad, but that's because I have no clue how you put the Blue Bomber onscreen in a way I think Hollywood would operate. Best bet is something in the vein of 2009's Astro Boy animated film, that property's upcoming animated reboot, or Big Hero 6. I'm open to the concept that anything can be done with the right execution, but I'm afraid of Hollywood producers trying to make something like this.

Regardless, entering development doesn't mean we'll actually see a film. Hollywood is a rough town and plans change. Iron Man producer Avi Arad has had films for Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted rolling around tinseltown for a long time with nothing to show for it. Mega Man could end up there, just like he is in the gaming world.

Do you actually want a Mega Man film?

• Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #1 SatelliteOfLove 3 years ago
    IN A WORLD...OF MEN AND MACHINES...

THIS SUMMER...

FIND OUT WHAT HE'S FIGHTING FOR.

MEGA MAN: THE MOVIE
    Has there ever been a movie based on a specific game series that's held up as a classic? I mean, for a random example, I still like the Wizard but I'll be the first to admit that's more due to nostalgia than the film's quality.
  • Avatar for boxofficepoison #3 boxofficepoison 3 years ago
    I just watched the Street Fighter Chun-Li movie thanks to retronauts, does not give me confidence on any film adaptation of a Capcom property at all
  • Avatar for renatocosta90 #4 renatocosta90 3 years ago
    Fighting Robot... MEGA MAN!

But seriously, enough internet for me today. I'm out. See you guys
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #5 The-Challenger 3 years ago
    I want to see Sigma's disembodied head floating around in 4D.
    If live action, I would hope it would be something in the vein of Scott Pilgrim vs the world... Have some cool rock music interspersed, (no, not like a musical where the characters sing) and watch as Rock fights six corrupted robots and defeat Wily. But make it self aware, with humor and not so much seriousness, this isn't MegaMan X.
    I abandoned all hope after seeing the phrase "live action". Far too many beloved franchises have been humiliated by being shoehorned into that format.

As a brand, Mega Man's promotion has been pretty schizophrenic too. There have been comics, compilation games, toys, cameos, and more, but each product seems to be individually flung out into the wild instead of making consumers aware that there's a great interconnected web of content out there for those that love the character. Whoever is in charge of the brand's management right now is doing a terrible job.
    Capcom Prez: "Fans seem to be CLAMOURING for more Mega Man content. They even funded that Red Ash anime on Kickstarter. They definitely must be DYING for a LIVE ACTION MOVIE. Yep. Totally nailed it this time."
    Hm -- wonder if this has anything to do with the comic going on (apparently temporary) hiatus.
    With our good luck, it will be a rip-off of Scott Pilgrim Versus the World, where Mega-Man has to fight for his sister-girlfriend Roll's hand by defeating the robot masters. With our bad luck, it will be another obnoxious tale of rebellion that ends with a giant battle between robots and humans.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #11 VotesForCows 3 years ago
    I'd be up for a respectfully done animated film. But live action sounds like an impending disaster.
    If there was any way to get it to happen, the one Mega Man film (series) I'd watch is films based on the rock opera albums by the Protomen. A great story already when told in music and song, I can only imagine how amazing it could be in the right hands on the big screen.

Somebody make this happen please.
    @CK20XX I think you nailed the problem. Megaman is seen as a lot of different things to people depending on the different forms of it they were exposed to. Personally, I never touched any of the comics or had any desire to know of the ins and outs of the Megaman universe. The first game had a pretty simple story that could be made into an ok action film. The real problem is that Hollywood probably wouldn't want to stick very close to the game, since it is so simple. But based on all the video game movies out there, I think the fans are the last concern of the people making the film.
    @Zebetite Van Damme in Street Fighter is great.
    I would really like to watch an animated adaptation of Classic Mega Man, I think it could work very well. The idea of a live action one makes me shudder.

That’s the issue really: Hollywood should seriously start to consider the idea that many of these properties aren’t really fit for the live action treatment, so if they are dead set in making a movie adaptation, it has to be animated.

In any case, like the article states, just because it is in development doesn’t necessarily mean it will actually see the light of day.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #16 LBD_Nytetrayn 3 years ago
    @CK20XX Nothing says it will be live action, though. Not the source, at any rate.
    @LBD_Nytetrayn That's what the initial stories said though.

It looks like Capcom is gearing up to REALLY push Mega Man back into the spotlight in about a year. I'm not confident that they actually know what they're doing as they go about this, but I suppose we all learned to enjoy even the Ruby Spears cartoon in the end.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #18 LBD_Nytetrayn 3 years ago
    @CK20XX They cite the Tracking Board as their source, though, and the Tracking Board makes no claim of it being live action.
    @Hoolo god yes. I know it'll never happen but that would be amazing.
  • Avatar for gregorecandalez17 #20 gregorecandalez17 2 years ago
    I am a huge, huge fan of Mega Man. One of my favourite game series of all time.
    But I'm not sure it's fit for a film. I'm guessing they'd use the X series, especially because now the trend is post-apocalyptic, and Megaman X could provide a decent script. Robot Apocalypse, Virus infecting important networks (Sigma's return), security robots gone rogue, or something like that. But even then what I picture in my mind isn't very promising.

Comments