Monster Hunter World is Kind of "Short" With Its 40 to 50 Hour Story Mode

Monster Hunter World's director says only the game's story mode will be 40 to 50 hours long.

News by Matt Kim, .

According to director Yuya Tokuda, it should take an average player "about 40 to 50 hours" to finish the Monster Hunter: World story mode.

In an interview with the German game website Mein-MMO.de, Yuya said, "Depending on the type of player, I suppose it will take about 40 to 50 hours to clear the story[.]" Yuya did add that, "it wouldn't be a Monster Hunter title if there wasn't content to enjoy post-game. Players can continue to forge and upgrade their favorite weapon and armor after the story is over."

Also, executive director Kaname Fujioka added that there will be weekly event quests and free updates that will further beef up Monster Hunter: World content-wise post-launch.

According to howlongtobeat.com a typical Monster Hunter game usually reaches into the hundreds of hours to complete fully. However, Tokuda refers only to Monster Hunter: World's story mode, so there's a chance that the new game could stretch closer to a hundred hours for a full completion of the game. Even then however 40 to 50 hours is still more than enough for any player to spend on a story mode.

Monster Hunter: World was announced at this year's E3 and just wrapped up a closed trial. An open beta for the PlayStation 4 is scheduled for December 22 to 26, with the full game coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC on January 26, 2018.

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

Fourty to Fifty Hours is pretty nice for a game like this, besides the extra content will keep people busy for hundreds of hours.
    Monster Hunter's more about the hunts, anyway. Story's usually just some fluff to give the player a reason to seek out and kill the cover monster.
    I've never played a Monster Hunter game, but I don't think any game should be referred to as "short" when it's 40-50 hours.
    @Talraen Oh yes. As a MonHun fan, I'm well aware that "short" play time is built on the foundation of doing repetitive tasks over and over and over to get materials to craft better gear to fight harder monsters repeatedly. Which I'm fine with in the context of Monster Hunter!

But still, I totally agree that there's way too much of an obsession with game length nowadays, and it often comes at the expense of quality. I'll gladly take 10 great hours over 100 mediocre ones when I have the chance.

If the game has me longing for more, that's fine! That's why the good lord invented DLC!
    @Talraen Oh I was definitely being glib. 40-50 is long by all accounts, but I love how the executive director chimed in to reiterate there's more on top of the base 40 hours.
    I expect better headlines from you guys. Sheesh.
    Edit: The quotes helpEdited December 2017 by USGC
    Sounds like the perfect length for a high quality adventure that I will actually complete (and come back to for new game+ hunts).
    Wonder if you can do the story with multiplayer. 4U you had to do the missions alone but they reward you with new meals to eat plus you get easier fights with those monsters so it would help to do them when doing multiplayer. I weirdly liked 4U story. Going from all the different locations with all the weird characters. And give a story of the monster corruption that you will see deeper in the multiplayer. Played Generations when they just throw you into different places without really explaining how you went from a nice tropical place to snowy area. I mean I get it story is kind of irrelevant to Monster Hunter since the goal is just have fun with friends destroying the livelihood of all the innocent monsters but I did feel kind of sadden it didn't give me one.

Comments