More Than Just a Crossover: Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Although it holds faithful to the two series whose names it bears, Etrian Mystery Dungeon offers more than just an RPG mash-up.

Preview by Jeremy Parish, .

Etrian Mystery Dungeon shouldn't work. Yes, it's built around combining two role-playing series — Atlus' Etrian Odyssey and Spike Chunsoft's Mystery Dungeon — but those two franchises sit, conceptually, at opposite ends of the RPG spectrum.

Like Kat and Bob and I discussed on the premiere episode of Axe of the Blood God, the term "RPG" has grown so vague and expansive as to be practically meaningless. And Etrian Odyssey and Mystery Dungeon demonstrate how far apart two games can sit even within the same general sub-genre of RPG. They're both dungeon crawlers at heart, centered around combat and exploration rather than dialogue, but the fundamental principles behind how each series expresses those goals vary considerably.

At heart, Mystery Dungeon games descend from Rogue and Nethack, with a central premise that progress (and life) are fleeting, lost quickly and easily forever. In their strictest iterations, Mystery Dungeon games force players to enter the field practically naked, relying on whatever they can forage (at random) along the way in order to survive for as long as possible. There, death amounts to a total setback, sending the player's character back to the beginning of the game without any items and without any experience or levels, forcing them to start anew. Even the more forgiving Mystery Dungeons, like the Pokémon crossovers, feature late-game bonus dungeons that adhere to these hard rules.

You can only control a single character at a time outside of boss battles, but you're still free to fine tune party A.I.

The severity of Mystery Dungeon's difficulty is matched in a different fashion by Etrian Odyssey games. Players simply lose all progress since their last save in the event of a party wipeout... but those wipeouts come frequently and without remorse. Even basic mob enemies, those faced in frequent random encounters, carry with them the potential to bring a dungeon foray to a screeching halt. Status effects such as sleep and skill-debilitating binds fly freely, and that's to say nothing of the implacable, often seemingly indestructible F.O.E.s, those roaming superbosses that dwell on nearly every floor of the dungeon. But to combat those steep odds, Etrian Odyssey sees you building an entire guild of warriors, customizing their skills and earning better gear through painstaking combat and collection as you map the dungeon. Death is an inevitability in Mystery Dungeon but more of a lurking threat in Etrian Odyssey, a punishment for players who take too many risks.

Ultimately, you can boil down each series to two very different concepts: Mystery Dungeon challenges you to improvise in order to overcome ever-changing unpredictability, while Etrian Odyssey requires meticulous planning and patience as you chart a fixed labyrinth. Think of it as the difference between, say, Judaism and Christianity. Both emerge from the same origin point, but each presents a very different take on the purpose and procedures therein.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon, then, aims to reconcile these two RPG religions. Surprisingly, it works... certainly better than any peace attempts between real-world religions ever has. Somehow, both the concepts of fleeting gains and hard-earned permanence stand side-by-side in EMD without feeling forced or compromised — at least so far as I've played, anyway.

EMD is about being a positive influence on the world.

The game does a remarkable job of feeling like an Etrian Odyssey game that simply plays out with a different view of dungeons. Story advancements and quests alike transpire in the hub city, where (in standard Etrian fashion) you can visit an inn, a shop, a guild hall, the city's leader, and more from a simple menu. If you've played any Etrian game, you know the drill: Pick up quests at the local cafe/bar, sell resources back to the shopkeeper to save up for and unlock new gear, register new adventurers at the guild. Even the font choices and colors adhere to the Etrian style guide, much more so than in any other Mystery Dungeon crossover. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Chocobo's Dungeon, and even Nightmare of Druaga all feel like Mystery Dungeon games starring visitors from another franchise, but EMD commits to being an Etrian game above all.

Don't assume this is little more than yet another standard Etrian game, though. If you want one of those, you're better off looking into last fall's Persona Q, which was an Etrian Odyssey in all but characters and aesthetics. EMD may look like Atlus' cult dungeon crawler, but once you enter the dungeons themselves, the other half of the game's DNA bubbles to the surface. Rather than playing out with first-person combat and cautious mapping, exploration in EMD takes the form of something akin to a turn-based action RPG — it's light on menus, but nothing in the dungeon uses a turn until the player does, allowing you to take your time as you descend into the mazes.

The four-character party of EMD breaks from Etrian's tradition of five-member parties, but given the necessarily simplification of action (and the mess that would result from a train of five warriors walking around in a combat train), it makes sense. Despite the change in party size, EMD sticks closely to the dynamics of Etrian's skill systems; your characters can train in one of 10 different classes, each with its own distinct skill tree that incorporates all manner of abilities both passive and active.

Despite the fact that publisher Atlus is owned by Sega, this skill does not involve hedgehogs.

Some classes, like Landsknechts and Dancers, remain largely unchanged from the core Etrian games, and popular builds remain viable here. Others, however, benefit from skill sets that have changed considerably to account for the importance of location and positioning in the game's top-down combat. A Ninja, for example, now offers powers that let him or her move instantly about the room and even walk on water to reach otherwise inaccessible areas. And the new Wanderer class, designed to resemble Mystery Dungeon mainstay Shiren, seems specifically tailored for maximum survivability in dungeons thanks to inexpensive ranged attacks, enhanced HP regeneration, and even the ability to burrow through walls to reach hidden goodies.

However, the true secret of EMD's success lies in its "fort" system. You can spend your money on a lot of things in EMD, from the mundane (better gear for your team) to the advanced (developing the hub town's features). But perhaps the most important thing to invest in are fortresses. These structures serve multiple roles in the game.

First and foremost, forts help remove some of the randomness of EMD's roguelike nature. By establishing a fort inside a dungeon, you fix the structure of the dungeon; stairs into each labyrinth frequently produce branching paths as you descend, potentially leading to dead ends and even hidden areas stockpiled with treasures that can only be reached by ascending back upward along an alternate route (a popular late-game map design trick in the Etrian games). Forts also lock down the actual layout of the floors on which they're built as well, meaning that once you return to a protected floor the map arrangement will always be the same as it had been before, even though your mini-map doesn't retain the layout. The better (and more expensive) the fort, the more levels of dungeon it's capable of locking down.

Surrounded by enemies? That's what Blast Skills are for... provided you can complete the arduous trials required to earn them, of course.

Forts serve several more advanced purposes, too. You can choose to staff a fort with guild members, and they'll gain experience equivalent to your active party as you explore. This greatly helps to minimize the grind and means that you have a full team of battle-ready warriors as you advance. And that's important, because after completing a few dungeons the entire nature of the game changes as the story introduces D.O.E.s, EMD's interpretation of the dreaded F.O.E.

What does this have to do with forts? Well, forts serve as a line of defense against incursions by D.O.E. By building forts and staffing them with guild members, you can slow or even repulse the advance of a D.O.E., preventing an unfortunate inconvenience or downright disaster.

In Mystery Dungeon tradition, if you mess with the in-dungeon shopkeeper, she will end you.

Once the D.O.E.s enter the picture, EMD becomes a daunting balancing act as you're forced to manage a growing guild, help promote the development of the town, respond in real time to the incursion of an eldritch horror upon innocent citizens, juggle side quests, and lock down the dungeons by establishing forts. The sum of EMD's parts is much bigger than the two series that comprise its content alone; and while it iterates on two franchises we've seen plenty of in recent years, it feels quite unlike either of them. Where Persona Q felt more or less like a reskinned Etrian Odyssey, EMD feels like something different despite its stylistic and mechanical similarities.

I still have a long way to go before I reach the end of this mysterious dungeon, but so far I find myself pleasantly surprised by how good the game is — and that's coming from a big fan of Etrian Odyssey and Mystery Dungeon for whom this crossover was more or less a slam dunk to begin with. Etrian Mystery Dungeon shouldn't work, but it does. Some differences aren't so irreconcilable after all.

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

I struggle to see where this could go wrong - can't wait :-)
    This sounds entirely awesome. I was expecting - like nearly all in the meta-series - a MD game with an EO flavor (which would have been perfectly with me, to be honest). But this sounds like a true crossover, and I can't wait to try it out.
    But will it have lolis in bikinis (yes of course it will)
    Incredibly excited to play this. Dream game in concept.
    Sounds interesting. I'm currently playing my first Etrian Odyssey game (IV) and enjoying it, and I also like the only Mystery Dungeon game I've played (Shiren). I just hope it comes out in Europe.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #6 SatelliteOfLove 3 years ago
    "D.O.E.s take the threat of Etrian's wandering super-bosses to a never-before-seen level. Rather than simply roaming set floors of the dungeon — which makes sense when entire floors can be completed in a matter of moments rather than through several long and arduous hours of exploration — D.O.E.s bring the fight to players. The trademark Etrian hazard indicators comes into play here, shifting from green to red as a D.O.E. draws near... but in this case, the "radar" isn't indicating their proximity to the party but rather to the hub town. Should a D.O.E. reach the city itself, rising through the floors of the dungeon, the entire party will instantly be recalled back to town to hold the line and protect the citizens."

Ah, pants-shitting terror, how it makes these games better.
    I've never played a MD game before, but have always been curious. You've sold me on EO in the past, so this might be the one that gets me over the hump
  • Avatar for SigurdVolsung #8 SigurdVolsung 3 years ago
    I'm fond of this concept and this type of game. It reminds me very strongly of Curse of the Curry God for Vita. Still, as EO crossovers go, it will have to do a lot to compare with Persona Q, which I very much loved.
    @SigurdVolsung I'm playing through Persona Q at present - it's wonderful stuff. Found the shrinking scene particularly amusing too!
    I check every day hoping a European release date is given for this game. As a huge fan of both the Etrian Odyssey series and Shiren the Wanderer for SFC/DS (The translated SFC is the best!) I want this game.
    Oo... yes, please.

I've been replaying EO3 after having finished Persona Q, getting warm and fuzzy for a Shiren experience in the EO universe.

Quick question: What level of persistence is in the game? What's the death penalty? Seems unlikely to be on the Mystery Dungeon end, or the player would be rolling new team members frequently. How do you feel it affects the overall difficulty, say, compared to a Shiren or an EO?
  • Avatar for renatocosta90 #12 renatocosta90 3 years ago
    Even though I have yet to play a single Mystery Dungeon game, I will buy this game as soon as possible. My 3ds just isn't the same without some Etrian Odyssey game tantalizing me during my commute!

Also, as a side note, right now it seems like atlus just cannot do anything wrong. Their track record has been so strong that it seems unthinkable that they could put out a bad game. But why do I feel so worried right now?
    So basically your saying EO Mystery Dungeon is like the second coming of Jesus Christ?
    I literally cannot wait for this game. When it arrives I'm going to set fire to my backlog as an offering to the Etrian Odyssey and Mystery Dungeon gods in hopes they'll show mercy in the game.
  • Avatar for giftsilindza61 #15 giftsilindza61 3 years ago
    My Name is gift silindza, From United States. I wish to share my testimonies with the general public about what this man called Dr. Pius i has just done for me , this man has just brought back my lost Ex husband to me with his great spell, I was married to this man called Williams we were together for a long time and we loved our self's but when I was unable to give him a child for 2 years he left me and told me he can't continue anymore then I was now looking for ways to get him back until a friend of mine told me about this man and gave his contact email, then you won't believe this when I contacted this man on my problems he prepared this spell cast and bring my lost husband back, and after a month I miss my month and go for a test and the result stated am pregnant am happy today am a mother of a baby girl, thank you once again the great Dr. Pius for what you have done for me, if you are out there passing through any of this problems listed below: (1) If you want your ex back. (2) if you always have bad dreams. (3) You want to be promoted in your office. (4) You want women/men to run after you. (5) If you want a child. (6) You want to be rich. (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever. (8) If you need financial assistance. (9) How you been scammed and you want to recover you lost money (10) Cure for HIV - you can contact hem via: email trustspelltemple@gmail.com or trustspelltemple@yahoo.com his web sitehttp://trustspelltemple.webs.com
  • Avatar for giftsilindza61 #16 giftsilindza61 3 years ago