NBA 2K18 is Going to Need a New Cover After Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics

Life comes at you fast in the NBA.

News by Kat Bailey, .

Kyrie Irving is going to be on the cover of NBA 2K18 this year, but it won't necessarily be in a Cleveland Cavaliers uniform.

A megaton trade hit the NBA earlier today when Boston agreed to trade for Kyrie Irving in exchange for Isiah Thomas and a whole lots of other assets. It's a massive move that will make the Celtics favorites to face the Warriors in the NBA Finals.

Unfortunately for NBA 2K18, that means having to quickly walk back a marketing campaign that has Kyrie Irving on the cover as a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

NBA 2K director of digital marketing Ronnie "Ronnie 2K" Sing had this reaction to the news.

The official NBA 2K18 Twitter account was also a bit chastened.

That this happened so late in the offseason just illustrates how nutty the NBA has become. Pretty much every season sees at least one superstar change teams, making basketball a 365 day a year sport.

Of course, NBA 2K isn't the only franchise to have to deal with this. With Neymar's departure for PSG, Pro Evolution Soccer has had to scramble to find a new cover star. Back in 2008, Brett Favre retired from the Green Bay Packers only to sign with the Jets a few months later. EA responded by making an alternate cover image with Favre in a Jets available as a PDF.

However Visual Concepts wants to tackle their cover, they'll have to move quickly. NBA 2K18 will be out September 19, which is out less than a month from now.

Want to know more? Check out our guide to everything we know about NBA 2K.

• Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #1 SatelliteOfLove 11 months ago
    NBA: Now The Silly Season Lasts All Off-Season
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #2 Godots17thCup 11 months ago
    The NBA offseason has become my favorite offseason in sports. Just when you think things have finally settled down, you get another shockwave like this.

It's certainly way more fun than watching the Knicks various attempts to slowly suffocate my love of basketball.Edited August 2017 by Godots17thCup
  • Avatar for Wakkawipeout #3 Wakkawipeout 11 months ago
    This has to be the wildest NBA offseason I can remember in a long time. And it has been great for the Timberwolves.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #4 SatelliteOfLove 11 months ago
    @Godots17thCup

It'd be nicer if it wasn't in vain except for a handful of teams. Those sweeps of 60-win teams did a number on me last year...
    WHOA KAT STOP RIGHT THERE

The Celtics are the favorites to face the Warriors?

COME ON!

You still have Lebron James, the greatest player in the world, on the Cavs. The same team that made it to three straight Finals against the Warriors is present minus Irving, but the guy they replaced him with is ISAIAH FREAKING THOMAS, a point guard who is no slouch at all. Irving is not that much of an upgrade over him. The Celtics have a great team, but they're not facing anyone in the Finals while that Cavs team is still there.
    @SatelliteOfLove : Man, that killed me. I'm a big Spurs fan, and when Kawhi went down, I knew it was all over. I told myself that I'd be happy if the Spurs never won a single title again after pulling off the 2013-14 Redemption Tour, but I still get invested!
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #7 Godots17thCup 11 months ago
    @SatelliteOfLove Yeah, a lot of really cool things have happened in the NBA over the last few years, but the 2017 playoffs being so devoid of any on-court drama was a big letdown; I mean, I'm certainly used to only having maybe a handful of teams in title contention, it's been that way in the NBA for pretty much its entire history (and the Eastern side of the bracket has been especially dire for a very long time), but I feel like we usually have much more exciting, dramatic series in the middle rounds. This past season, even most of the closer series were just teams taking turns blowing each other out.

Barring something catastrophic, I'm not deluding myself into thinking that anyone other than Golden State will win the title in 2018; I just want to see the Cavs/Celtics, Spurs, Rockets, Thunder or whoever else the Warriors might meet to make them (and each other, frankly) really sweat out some more of those victories.

Comments