NBA 2K20 features a wide variety of modes for players to enjoy. There’s the MyTeam Mode which lets you build a team, MyLeague which lets you play through bespoke league setups, and more. The flagship mode is still MyCareer in NBA 2K20, with this year’s story boasting A-list actors like Rosario Dawson and Idris Elba. To give you an idea as to what you can expect from NBA 2K20 MyCareer, we’ve put together this NBA 2K20 MyCareer Guide. We’ll lead you through creating your character, explain how to get drafted, and then give you some tips on playing through the story.
NBA 2K20 MyCareer Tips
MyCareer has a brand new story for NBA 2K20. You’ll design your very own player, before going on a personal journey through drafting, and eventually towards the big leagues. Idris Elba stars as your coach, though your relationship is pretty frosty from the beginning of the game. You’ll quickly leave his club, and go it alone, trying to draft into a new team. MyCareer is a great way to earn VC, though how much you earn will depend on your starting salary and any endorsements you’ll receive. Let’s go into some tips you should keep in mind while playing.
- Playing too offensively will seriously backfire. Losing the ball will bring your rating down significantly.
- Make sure to practice for the draft combine, using your practice attempts to learn timing.
- Stick close to your assignment, you’ll gain points even if the other team scores.
- You don’t need to sprint very often.
- Make sure to experiment with your MyPlayer build before committing.
- Take your time in MyCareer games, your performance in each game is more important than an overall win.
NBA 2K20 MyCareer Draft: How to Get Solid 1st Round Draft
Once you’ve finished the Bay City Flames story chapter, you’ll be presented with a Draft screen. There are six different draft options, and you’re aiming to land as high up the list as possible. The options are as follows:
- Solid 1st Round
- Late First Round
- Early 2nd Round
- Mid 2nd Round
- Late 2nd Round
Where you end up drafting will depend on your performance in various draft challenges at the start of the game. Let’s take a look at the first.
NBA 2K20 MyCareer Invitational
Your first challenge in the NBA 2K20 MyCareer Mode is the invitational game. You’ll need to perform well, as it will be the first assessment that goes towards your draft pick. Make sure you end up with a C+ or above, as it will put you in good stead for the rest of the game.
Why Is Drafting Important in NBA 2K20
Let’s take a brief pause to explain why you’ll want to move as high up the drafting list as possible at the start of MyCareer. Your per game salary will be higher at the 1st round draft pick, meaning you’ll earn more VC. In fact, the Solid 1st Round Draft will get you 800-1000 VC per game, which means you’ll have more to spend on improving your player.
NBA 2K20 Draft Combine
Your next challenge in NBA 2K20 is the Draft Combine. This is a real pain in the behind, as it will have a huge effect on your Draft, but has very little to do with actual basketball ability. You’ll play some short shooting challenges first, so just take your time and try to get the shot meter as close to green as you can. After this, you’ll need to go through the following drills.
- Vertical Jump
- Running Jump
- Sidestep sprint
These challenges are essentially quick-time events, that usually involve alternating the triggers and pressing a button. You’ll get two practice attempts before your proper attempt, so just try to earn the timing.
NBA 2K20 MyCareer Summer League
Finally, you’ll want to play through the Summer League. This involves a handful of standard matchups, where your performance will determine which teams are interested in you. As before, concentrate on keeping possession, and resist the urge to shoot at every opportunity. At the end of the Summer League, you’ll pick 3 teams to draft for, and one will end up being your NBA team.
NBA 2K20 MyCareer Choices
For the duration of the MyCareer Mode in NBA 2K20, there will be small choices that you’ll need to pick. For the first few hours, you’ll get the following choices:
- Choose where is home: choose between New York, St. Louis, Chicago, Los Angeles. This will determine which all star you will play 1v1 with.
- Choose whether to get in touch with your all-star agent: after the 1v1 against the all-star, they will ask whether you want to get in touch with their agent
- Movie with Lonzo Ball: choose whether to go shoot a movie with Lonzo Ball. This will help boost your brand.
- Shoe deal: choose whether to look at shoe sponsorships. You can either wait and potentially get more money later down the line.
For more on NBA 2K20, be sure to check out our guide on the best NBA 2K20 Players. Elsewhere, there’s also our up-to-date list of NBA 2K20 Locker Codes, and also a look at the best Shooters in NBA 2K20.