NCSoft has decided to shut down Master x Master. The game will continue in operation throughout the end of January 2018, but after that, everything is gone. MXM was NCSoft's shot at the MOBA genre, offering a competitive multi-lane experience, but also arena PVP and dungeon-crawling PVE. It tried to be all things, but folks already had all those things.
"Deciding to close the game is not a decision we come to lightly, but ultimately it came down to a matter of business-we explored several options, but none of them were sustainable. We truly believe that MXM is special, and offered a lot of new ideas to change up the MOBA genre, but in trying to carve out a niche for itself, we failed to connect with players." said NCSoft in a statement.
Master x Master only launched months ago on June 21, 2017. As a recognition of players support, NCSoft is offering a few things until server closure.
- All players will receive 500,000 X-Coin to unlock all content
- The community-developed Lua skin will be made available to all players for 1 X-Coin
- Real money purchases on the MXM Store will be permanently disabled
- All game modes will be turned on, and available at all times
- Refunds in full on purchases made between Aug. 30 and Nov. 16. This will happen automatically within the next 7-14 days, and will be refunded via the same method the purchase was made, if possible.
"We are truly grateful for the community that grew around MXM, and for your support of the game. It truly is awe-inspiring to have been a part of the community's creativity and passion-the art, videos, and guides, the emergent gameplay and meta as new Masters were introduced, the high-level online competitions, and more-truly, thank you," said the company.