Hey boys and girls. Gosh, we sure had some fun this week, didn't we?
It's time to get serious for a moment, though. When Nintendo announces its plans to produce and distribute hardware that looks remotely cool or fun – say, the NES Classic Edition – I want you to run over to Amazon and hit "Pre-Order" as fast as you can.
Don't hold back. Make the Flash's jaw drop. Bowl over your grandmother, if that's what it takes. Just move, or you're probably going to miss out.
Er, unless you don't care about Nintendo games and products, of course. If that's the case, congratulations: It's scientifically proven that people who are Nintendo-avoidant live longer, healthier lives than those who aren't because they don't sacrifice as many hours queueing up for evasive hardware and accessories.
It's too late for me, though. I'm a filthy addict.
Here are some other stories we published this week that include and exclude "Oh God, Nintendo did the thing again."
- Kat kicked off the week with a Starting Screen editorial about how owning a console has become quite expensive and complicated. Insert that image macro of Morgan Freeman pointing and saying "She's right, you know."
- Overwatch has new character skins. Caty's verdict? "Ehhh…"
- Bayonetta is on PC, loves! Caty took the opportunity to muse about the literal and symbolic power of the witch's magnificent hair.
- Freelancer Tom Orry uses Mass Effect Andromeda and Yooka-Laylee to outline what new games can learn from games that utilize old design tropes, and vice-versa.
- I kicked off a new column, Midboss Musings, by heaping a lot of salt on director / producer Adi Shankar's wish to do an R-rated Mega Man project someday. I am a dream-eater. Rawr.
- Freelancer John Learned talks about how his battle with cancer entwined itself with his battle to triumph over Dark Souls. Heavy stuff, but a great read.
- Nintendo had a Nintendo Direct presentation this week, and it proved the 3DS has some life left in it. We also got release dates for Splatoon 2 and Arms. Most importantly, we learned that Splatoon's Inklings sometimes take on freelance work. Good luck, squid-kids. Pray to Neptune you never need dental insurance.
- Easter is closely tied with eggs, and so is Pokémon GO. Hey, whadaya know – there's a Pokémon GO egg event through the weekend and into next week! If your Pokémon-finding skills are a bit rusty, check out our Pokémon GO guides, including our guide for the Easter Extravaganza Event.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past celebrated its 25th (North American) anniversary this week. Jeremy Parish kicked off a relevant Design in Action column.
- The Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest-selling console ever, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an insane 100% attach rate with the system. Will Nintendo be able to keep up with demand? Only the gaming gods know.
That's it for another week. Have a great Easter and / or a great time mopping up the rest of your Passover. Maybe this will be the weekend I finish Breath of the Wild, but probably not. Seems I'm subconsciously determined to do everything before I take on Ganon. At this rate, I'll probably wind up back-handing him halfway across Hyrule field when I finally kick off the final confrontation.
On the topic of A Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild, why don't we go for some relevant ending credits music?