Nintendo Randomly Announces The New Nintendo 2DS XL

Yeah, Nintendo just announced a new 3DS system.

News by Mike Williams, .

Nintendo has surprised everyone with the announcement of the New Nintendo 2DS XL. The New 2DS XL is essentially a lighter, thinner 3DS XL, complete with folding clamshell design, XL screens, NFC reader, and a C-stick. The system retains the 2DS name because it does not feature 3D screens and according to Nintendo it features "the same power as New Nintendo 3DS XL", meaning it probably has the updated processor. The New Nintendo 2DS XL will be launching on July 28, 2017 for $149.99.

"This new addition to Nintendo's portable hardware line demonstrates our commitment to the handheld market," said Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. "New Nintendo 2DS XL sports a beautiful clamshell design and offers a great balance between price and performance."

The release date puts the new revision out on the same day as Miitopia and Hey! Pikmin for 3DS. It's also near the Japanese release date of Dragon Quest XI for 3DS. Currently, the United States is only getting the black and turquoise color. Japan gets a swanky white and orange model, shown below.

Japan-only, y'all.

I am disappointed. I like the 2ds design as it was ergonomic and didn't cramp the hands like a regular 3ds. It helped that it was not a clamshell design, as the 3ds would take care of it. I know that the 2ds is really cheap, $80 msrp, but this new design somehow looks cheaper. My first thought was that it looks like two iPhones stuck together. Oh well...

But we haven't heard anything from Nintendo regarding actual 3ds stick, as from November until this month, I have not seen ANY new 3ds systems for sale. Much less that 3ds with the faceplates.
  • Avatar for Wakkawipeout #2 Wakkawipeout 9 months ago
    @riderkicker I think it looks nice. Then again I like how my iPhone looks too so maybe that has something to do with it lol
    Yup, Nintendo's got its finger on the pulse of its fans. This is what people want, NOT the NES Classic.
    SWEET MOTHER OF HYLIA, THAT WHITE AND ORANGE ONE IS MMMMMPH!

I don't have a 3DS or anything, but, I've been told I should get one. Maybe this'll be the way to go and we'll see some price drops/bundles in the holidays?
    I only very rarely use the 3D on my 3DS, usually only to see if a game actually has 3D in the first place, so it's not that big of a loss. Maybe if mine actually had the 3D that follows you around, but eh. At least it has the clamshell, I could see the 2DS getting screwed over by scratches more easily if you don't get a screen protector. For now, though, my Zelda ALBW 3DS XL is still fine, so I'm not up/down/sidegrading.

What I don't get is why people are hyping over the white/orange so much. I like the white part, but why's it got to be orange? It looks so weird.
    ...I guess I'm orange-fatigued, what with having a royal family of Oranges in this country.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #6 VotesForCows 9 months ago
    This is great for me - I can't see 3D anyway, but don't like the current 2DS design. This might be a nice consolation prize given that I can't afford a Switch...
    @riderkicker yeah. It's a shame. Sadly I liked snes games/xenoblade/Hyrule warriors too much stick with with the original 2ds, if its screens were jusr a bit bigger like the n3ds and had the stick it'd be perfect.
    How can they offer this at $150 but not a home console version of the Switch for $150?
    @Ohoni Not sure I understand the question. The Switch is a home console. It's just also a portable console.
  • Avatar for Okada-The-Cat #10 Okada-The-Cat 9 months ago
    I love this! Super sleek. I know tons of people who are yet to touch the 3DS library (and are keen to!), and this appears to be the ideal way in! UK release plz.
    @Ohoni the switch is a far more advanced piece of technology than this and thus much more expensive to make.

A breakdown of the switch suggested it probably wasn't making a lot of money per a sale.
    I've already purchased a 3DS and a new 3DS but that Orange n2DS looks SO GOOD. I think I would have to buy that if it came out in the US. Damn you Japan for keeping the good stuff to yourselves!
    Honestly, this is what I wanted back when I heard about the New 3DS XL. I NEVER use the 3D slider and would rather have the extra horsepower and c-stick with the slightly lower price the removal of 3D affords Nintendo.. Too bad I already own a 3DS XL and have no need for the couple games that are exclusive to it. :(
    I do think it's great they are keeping the 3ds family alive, especially since sales were so great for them last year.
    I don't think it's for me personally, but there are a lot of parents who have a lot of kids that this would probably work out really well for.
    As for me...
    I'm excited to get the Switch in the mail today...
    Man that was a crazy thing to hunt down! Especially while avoiding scalpers.
    @NiceGuyNeon You absolutely should pick one of these up, there are so many excellent 3DS games.

I got one of the New 3DS' when they went on sale for $99 on Black Friday but if I hadn't I would absolutely buy one of these.
    As dumb as announcing yet another version of the 3DS sounds in 2017, that's actually a really nice looking edition. Never could justify upgrading from a regular XL, but if I could get one of these a little cheaper I just might.
    I have a 2DS and New 3DS XL so I'm definitely skipping this iteration, but I'm glad they're still pushing 3DS and not just abandoning it a la the funeral march of the Wii U that was 2016. I actually wish this had been the direction they went with the first 2DS. Its a better design IMO. Of course it having the same internals as the new 3DS is pretty awesome especially at that price point. And now hopefully people can actually buy some version of a 3DS from a retailer and not some a$$hole on ebay.
    Man... that red background with the black 2DS... really hoped for a split second for some kind of Persona 5 connection. Ah well :-(
    I love the look of this system! But, it loses my favorite parts of the 2DS - the squishy d-pad and the ergonomic form. I get hand cramps from the New 3DS XL but never the 2DS. I use a regular New 3DS as my main 3DS but if a game uses the d-pad, it's 2DS time.
    Okay I've mentioned this before but I've been cursed by a werewolf to break every circle pad I've ever owned (most recently within the first 10 hours of use on the system). So I'm disappointed to see this using the circle pad too because by the time I figured out I should have gotten a 2DS, which has a true analog stick, I'd already transferred my data to New 3DS and whoooooops, you can't go backwards sorry!

Nintendooooo!!
    @VotesForCows Whoa! you only see in 2D!!?
    Calling it now: this will be the Game Boy Micro of the 3DS family. Snazzy-looking, overpriced at launch but likely to get cheaper quickly, and it probably won't sell much because people are turning their attention to the shiny new platform (the DS in the GBM's case, the Switch in the New 2DS's.) But in a few years' time, like the Micro, it'll be a cult favorite.
    I'm IN! I was so disappointed that the SNES virtual console stuff doesn't work on the original 3DS and I rarely use the 3d feature, and hadn't upgraded to New 3DS XL yet. I'd be happy with this!
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #24 VotesForCows 9 months ago
    @cldmstrsn Now that I say it, that would be awesome. But sadly its just the more prosaic inability to perceive 3D effects render on a 2D screen...
    @VotesForCows hehehe. When I read it I was like "this Irish guy gets cooler by the day!"
    @swamped If you call them, they can help you transfer to 2DS. I told them my New 3DS XL was causing severe hand cramping and they transferred my content over. It took a few days but worked. I'd call them to verify they can still do that.
    @nilcam That's great! Thanks, I'm going to look into that. I haven't even touched Smash Bros. 3DS out of fear.

Edit: You know, I trusted whichever internet stranger told me the 2DS has an analog stick but that just looks like a circle pad upon further inspection. Busted.Edited April 2017 by swamped
    @Xemus80

No, the Switch is a portable console that comes bundled with a dock. It's nowhere near being a home console. Not a 2017 home console, at least. I'd like them to make one without the expensive screen and battery components to reduce costs to be comparable to a home console of its performance, like the X-Box 360.Edited April 2017 by Ohoni
    @link6616

But a lot of what they put in it was to make it portable, removing those components would make for a much cheaper system. If they can make a PS4 that retails for $230 with free games, then they can make a home version of the Switch that retails for $150, no problem.

Comments