NIS America Will Re-edit Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana's Localization Amid Complaints

News by Matt Kim, .

In an announcement sent out to customers via email, NIS America President Takura Yamashita apologized to fans regarding the localization for Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. As a result, NIS America is committing to edit, and in some cases, re-localize the translation for Ys VIII.

"It has come to my attention that the quality of the Ys VIII localization has not reached an acceptable level by our own standards, but most importantly by yours," read an email sent out by NIS America. To fix the issue, NIS America is promising to revisit Ys VIII's localization and "will have have a new translator and editor go over the entire localization to fix grammatical errors, typos, inconsistencies, and also to take a fresh look at the dialog and characterizations."

The statement indicates a strong push towards correcting the issues found in the Ys VIII localization, but suggests that the game's characters could have been misrepresented by the current localization that shipped with the game. In some cases, NIS America says that the company will re-edit and re-translate the game, as well as update the voiceover work if necessary.

Ys VIII came out on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita last month in September while the PC version has been delayed (although NIS America says the PC version will launch with the new localization). While the game was praised for delivering another fun JRPG adventure, users on Twitter and social media have complained about the game's poor localization. Players have posted screen captures of awkward dialogue, and poorly localized text online.

• Avatar for KaiserWarrior #1 KaiserWarrior 6 months ago
    "[T]he quality of the Ys VIII localization has not reached an acceptable level by our own standards"...

So then why did it ship that way? Were they fine with the game not being "acceptable by their own standards", right up until their customers complained?
    @KaiserWarrior yeah. I've got to wonder what happened here but I suspect just a lack of oversight and either someone new or not native or both?
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #3 Tetragrammaton 6 months ago
    @link6616 Possibly it was contractual. NISA and XSEED were competing for the rights to Ys VIII, and among NISA's offers would have been localization time. And when you're going fast you hit more potholes.
    The PC release has been delayed by three weeks so far. Rather annoying to wait that extra length of time.
    @Tetragrammaton that makes an awful lot of sense.
    @Tetragrammaton that makes an awful lot of sense.
    For anyone who is on the fence about buying Ys VIII: the game is a lot of fun and you should give it a try.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #9 Tetragrammaton 6 months ago
    @Sturat I'll consider it after the patch comes out. There's so much to play these days that if a company wants to make my purchase decisions easier by dropping the ball, well...
    In my experience, NIS America has always been fine, but I know the 8-4 crew would have done a stellar job the first time.
  • Avatar for davedalrymple11 #11 davedalrymple11 6 months ago
    I must be an old fogey, my expectations tempered by the terrible JRPG translations we put up with 15-25 years ago, because I didn't notice anything egregiously wrong with the current Ys VIII translation.
    @davedalrymple11 Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about this. It definitely is a step down from what I would have expected from XSEED and there are some typos, but I haven't seen anything egregious from what I've played. I hope nobody skips it due to headlines like this.
    @davedalrymple11 Same, tbh. I'm still kind of new-ish to Ys, but I didn't see anything that I consider a step down from Oath or Ark. The passed-around screen of Sahad talking about taking a shit is kind of head-turning, but that's the way the character talks throughout the game, though he usually doesn't just come right out and use the S-word.
  • Avatar for davedalrymple11 #14 davedalrymple11 2 months ago
    @nadiaoxford The worst offenders, I guess, would be the overly-literal translation of game concepts and location names, such as "ancient species", "energy", and "Big Hole."

Comments