There are two kinds of main bosses in Paper Mario The Origami King: Vellumentals and sentient stationary. The latter tend to be a lot harder to defeat, each requiring a specific strategy and approach. The Colored Pencils is the first of the stationary bosses, packing an arsenal of sharp pencil missiles and a pencil case that can snap shut and damage Mario. For that reason, we've put together a guide on how to beat the Colored Pencils boss fight.
On this page:
- How to Beat the Colored Pencils Boss Fight in Paper Mario The Origami King
- How to Avoid the Colored Pencils' Targets
- Colored Pencils Rewards
How to Beat the Colored Pencils Boss Fight in Paper Mario The Origami King
To beat the Colored Pencils boss fight in Paper Mario The Origami King you will need to take note of its two main means of attack. First off there's the pencils, which will be fired at you unless you close the lid. The lid will snap shut on you if you attack from the inner two circles. You cannot attack with your boots from behind, or if there are missiles in the case. With those things in mind, here are the steps you should follow:
- Attack from the back of the case with your hammer to slam it shut.
- Missiles will then fire, damaging the boss.
- Now that there are no pencils, use boot attacks (from the front and sides), make sure you do this from the third and fourth rings, keeping your distance.
- Keep doing this until the boss uses Rainbow Roll.
- Trigger the 1000-Fold Arms to grab the rolled pencils and deal huge damage.
How to Avoid the Colored Pencils' Targets
One more thing to consider while fighting the Colored Pencils is the fact that it will lay down targets before firing pencils. You'll want to avoid these targets so make sure your route to the boss is clear before committing to an attack. The targets do not slide with the tiles so just avoid their initial positions.
If you're looking for more of our guides, be sure to head on over to our Paper Mario The Origami King Walkthrough. It's where you'll find collectible locations, a look at the legendary fish, and more.
Colored Pencils Rewards
For beating the Colored Pencils you will be able to reach and cut the streamer at the top of Overlook Tower. You should also head back to Toad Town to visit the mole by the docks, he'll have a trophy that you can purchase. More info here.