For the first time since the game launched into Early Access, the developers behind PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds are taking a look at weapon balance. The full patch notes will be going live tomorrow, but creator Brendan "Playerunknown" Greene outlined the basic idea of the upcoming July update in a post on the Steam Community page. The main focus is changing the game's loot balance.
"This is our first real pass at adjusting the loot balance in the game after the data science team started their analysis. We will most likely be making several more of these passes during the course of Early Access, so please don't take this week's upcoming change to the balance as final!" wrote Greene.
"We also hope to improve the item looting experience for items that we’ve received a lot of user feedback on. Such improvements and adjustments will be made on a regular basis based on various data analysis and feedback."
The spawn rate of the UZI was increased, while the spawn rates of the SCAR-L assault rifle and UMP submachine gun were adjusted downward. The spawn rate of the Level 1 Helmet was too high and has been adjusted to come in line with the Level 1 Vest. The Groza assault rifle has been added to the air-dropped Care Packages, replacing the VSS sniper rifle. The sniper rifle has been moved to a world spawn.
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds developer Bluehole also addressed a bug in spawn rates.
"Due to a bug, we’ve been experiencing an issue where some items either spawned more or less than intended. This was discovered in the process of modifying the spawn table internal structure for developing custom games, and after following and testing the issue, we discovered that a similar issue was present throughout all spawn tables," Greene wrote.
The current changelog is available below:
- New weapon, the Groza, was added. This weapon may only be acquired in Care Packages.
- VSS will no longer be found in Care Packages. It will remain to be spawned in the map.
- At a low probability, you will be able to acquire AR Silencers and SR Silencers in Care Packages.
- At a low probability, you will be able to acquire 4x Scopes in Care Packages.
- New weapon, a 9mm pistol with full auto mode, the P18C, was added.
- Spawn rate of SCAR-L was decreased to better fit the weapon’s tier.
- Spawn rate of UMP was slightly decreased.
- Spawn rate of UZI was slightly increased.
- Level 1 Helmet was being spawned at a much higher rate than the Level 1 Vest, and the spawn rate was adjusted so that both items will be spawned at a similar rate.