PlayStation Classic Full Game Lineup Is Short on True Classics

As Sony reveals all 20 games included on the PlayStation Classic, we're left asking where some of the console's biggest hitters are.

News by Tom Orry, .

The full lineup of games included with this December's PlayStation Classic has now been revealed. It's a varied list, with some true greats and some, well, not classics. Take a look at the full list just below, and see what you make of the lineup.

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

If I had to pick proper classic games from the list of 20, I'd choose Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer Type 4, and Tekken 3 (plus Final Fantasy VII and Wild Arms, even though I'm not a fan of either). Second tier games include Cool Boarders 2, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Syphon Filter, and Twisted Metal. It's simply not a good list.

Perhaps music licensing issues would have caused issues with some of these, but where are Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Wipeout, and Silent Hill? I'm sure if I sat here and thought hard I'd come up with at least five more that would be more deserving of a place on the retro console than most of the included titles. We compiled our own PlayStation Classic wishlist when it was first announced, but alas, it seems like only one of our choices ultimately made it.

The PlayStation Classic launches on December 3, 2018. For all the info on the console, check out our guide to the PlayStation Classic.

• Avatar for ANewtypeCentury #1 ANewtypeCentury 22 days ago
    The amount of shovelware included in this package is just laughable - like you said, the lack of actual classics is baffling. If the hacking scene doesn't end up jailbreaking the PS Classic, it's not worth getting with this lineup.
    Seems strange to have a Ps1 collection without WipEout or Tomb Raider. But wipeout likely had issues with music licensing and Tomb Raider would now fall foul of Sony's new "no fanservice" censorship. Would have been nice to have crash on there as well.Edited 3 weeks ago by Fourfoldroot
    Sure am glad I didn’t bother to preorder this.
    Short on true classics is certainly correct (likely an understatement). The lack of SaGa or Suikoden titles (to say nothing of Final Fantasy Tactics) made this an easy preorder to cancel.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #5 LBD_Nytetrayn 22 days ago
    Mm-hm, mm-hm... Yes, I see.

*chucks the whole thing in the trash*

Okay, not quite THAT bad, but still... that "higher than the rest" price tag just became a whole lot harder to justify for me.

Twisted Metal is the only game listed here I've played and enjoyed. RE and MGS are great games I enjoy on some level (though I prefer RE2), but suck at playing.

Toshinden, Jumping Flash, Tekken, Oddworld, Mr. Driller, Rayman, Ridge Racer, and Puzzle Fighter are all unplayed curiosities for me, which is fine, but I like to have a little more solid "I remember loving that!" games to bear the brunt if none of those hit.

Incidentally, Bushido Blade would have carried that nicely for me.
    Mr. Driller and Super Puzzle Fighter II are totally classic games.
    For $100 this lineup isn't even close to good enough. The cynic in me says that they announced it with the five best games (maybe the only five worthy games) to get a bunch of early preorders and then put this out hoping nobody would notice. Intelligent Qube is like the 7th best game on the list, that says it all.
    What the list really shows me is that I bought a PS1 for the sole purpose of playing the huge number of RPGs. I really didn't play that many games of other genres to say whether these games were classics or not in their respective niches.Edited 3 weeks ago by Pandalulz
    @Pandalulz - Same here. Reading through the list, I realized that I had never played 50-60% of these games (perhaps more) and that RPGs formed the basis of my PS1 experience. That said, I have no reason to think that I would go back and play any of those missed games now. RPGs remain my preferred genre and I cannot justify $100 to re-play Wild Arms.
    Yikes! What the hell happened here? Why announce only 5 mostly top-tier games to get the hype machine running, when the remaining 15 games are mostly mediocre (Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid being obvious exceptions)?

I'll be passing on this.
    In the end, we all know this console isn't for us. I still own my original PlayStation and games, and I bet most of you at least still have a PS2.
    Personally I love the list. My mid-nineties tastes were a lot like this, and I played nearly all these games (and owned 5, which was a lot of my money back then).
    And I think I just heard about Mr. Driller on the Retronauts podcast so I'm at least curious...
    Does anyone really ask for the first GTA? Cool Boarders 2? We're going to play Persona? What? Are you Stupid?

Actually I think Revelation: Persona might be the strangest of all the games on the list honestly. How Atlus treat their games nowadays is WAY different from back than. And I would have thought Atlus would have like to try to distance themselves away from that game as much as possible. I mean it's fine I guess but I feel no one should touch it if they could get their hands on the PSP version (...or emulate it...).

But as for the rest it's just not a stellar list. Like at all. Feel everyone felt there was going to be a couple of bumps but this just feel they said their main games right at the start and everything left is just there.
    The Japan version of the PS Classic is getting SaGa Frontier. Had that been included on the NTSC version, I might have kept my preorder.
    I don't understand why Cool Boaders 2 is on this, while my memory fails me at times I did not know the game existed until I saw its name on this list.

The rest I get, although why they went with the OG Persona , GTA, Rainbow Six and Twisted Metal are misfires IMO. The original barely plays like the current modern sequels and in case of Twisted Metal there are better sequels on the same platform.Edited 3 weeks ago by Wellman2nd
  • Avatar for SleestakLightning #15 SleestakLightning 22 days ago
    I love the NES and SNES Classic machines - didn't even mod them, but this thing is a complete non-buy for me. Like the SNES, I never owned a PS1, and would have loved to play the classics that I missed, even if it was only 2 or 3. This has nothing I feel I can't miss out on. FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, or Castlevania SOTN would have been enough to seriously tempt me. The RIGHT Twisted Metal would have been a nice extra, and they didn't even get that right.
    This is a shame and probably means I’ll cancel my pre-order. Most of my treasured PSX games are 2D, and I anticipated having this focus on 3D given the PSX’s significance in driving that shift in the market. Having said that, just too many mediocre games that either haven’t aged well or were not all that special to begin with. Missed opportunity.
    Okay, it's not exactly the list I wanted (I expected Resident Evil 2 and Twisted Metal 2, I'd have put Persona 2: Eternal Punishment in over Persona 1 'cuz our initial version of 1 was cut down and altered, where's Crash Bandicoot and Mega Man Legends?), but I'm cool with a good portion of this list. Out of the new 15 I'm glad to see Metal Gear Solid, and I'm excited about Intelligent Qube, Puzzle Fighter, Rayman, Oddworld, and Mr. Driller. Tohshinden and the original Grand Theft Auto are at least neat curiosities.

What I'm not cool with is that we don't get Armored Core, Parasite Eve, or SaGa Frontier like Japan did. Fuck Rainbow Six, I want giant robots!
    PS1's library appealed to so many different people that there's no way 20 games would've been able to please everyone, but this list is seriously wanting.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #19 donkeyintheforest 22 days ago
    This list is a little disappointing, but having some real nice USB playstation 1 controllers means that a raspberry pi can fill in the gaps for this pretty easily.

I haven't modded the snes mini, I promised myself I wouldn't until beating a bunch of the games; I am enjoying it still. Maybe this will actually get me to beat ff7. The only time I tried, my friend's boyfriend took the copy back that I borrowed just when I got to the 3rd disc. It's been over 15 years so should seem fresh.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #20 Funny_Colour_Blue 22 days ago
    This is a huge disappointment, I can't believe--...
    EDIT: Looking over the list again, this is an "okay" list of playstation games.
    but archive/history wise, there are some pretty glaring omissions, where's tomb raider? where's crash bandicoot? where's spyro? It's like they don't exist. Like I've played all of these games, but a lot of them, are standins for better titles - w-why would you have tom clancy rainbow six on here? Who is this system for?!

The NES and SNES Classic had a better list of games than this.Edited 5 times. Last edited 3 weeks ago by Funny_Colour_Blue
    I will not buy this. Awful list.
    $99 for that?
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Avatar for davedalrymple11 #23 davedalrymple11 22 days ago
    It does seem that the ratio of classics to curiosities is a little weak. It reads more like the lineup to a PSM demo disc than a collection of the PS1's greatest games.
    I essentially missed the entire PS1 generation, so there are very few games I'd be interested in playing (and none I feel nostalgic for), but Symphony of the Night and Vagrant Story would have sold this to me. Vagrant Story I understand not being included, but no Symphony and no Tomb Raider are mind-boggling.
    @moochan To a certain extent it feels like whoever put together this list did so by first looking at what games are popular today and then seeing if there was an earlier title from that series on the Playstation.

It's the only way I can understand the inclusion of Rainbow Six or Grand Theft Auto (or to a lesser extent, the original Persona). It also helps to explain why something like Wipeout isn't included, since as far as Sony is concerned that franchise is essentially dead and with all the headaches related to licensing it simply wouldn't be worth it if it doesn't have the added benefit of promoting an upcoming title.

At least, that's the only way I can make sense of these things. It's a truly baffling list.Edited 3 weeks ago by Outrider
  • Avatar for MonkeyDSomething #26 MonkeyDSomething 22 days ago
    Yeah...but I would totally play Mr. Driller over Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 2, so it makes sense to me :)
    Mmmm... Several of these games are not really bad, and I'm morbidly curious about those I never played, like Syphon Filter or the original Persona. On the other hand, there's very little point to return to Battle Arena Toshinden or the first Rainbow Six, and some of the inclusions are kind of baffling. Super Puzzle Fighter is a fun game, but it's that really the best license from Capcom that Sony managed to get?

And when it comes to the racing/sports games, I'm also baffled by they including the superior sequels in some cases (Cool Boarders, Ridge Racer) but not in others (Destruction Derby, Twisted Metal).

If it included Silent Hill or Symphony of the Night at the very least, I'll seriously consider it. As things stand, I think I'll pass or wait till I see it heavily discounted.
    It’s strange what Sony IP’s are included-
    -Cool Boarders, Destruction Derby, Intelligent Cube, Jumping Flash, Syphon Filter and Wild Arms.

But no-
    -Alunda
    -Ape Escape (I know, no analog on the controller)
    -Arc the Lad
    -Devil Dice
    -Gran Turismo
    -Hot Shots Golf
    -Legend of Dragoon
    -MediEvil (getting a PS4 remake)
    -Omega Boost
    -PaRappa
    -Tomba!
    -Umjammer Lammy
    -Wipeout
    @Outrider
    So this really is the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale of mini consoles. Remove all the past greats and focus on what's hot and new.
    Intelligent Qube never came out on US PSN, and has been fairly expensive on eBay.

I agree that Japan got some better picks such as Gradius Gaiden.
    I think this is a pretty good, albeit very small, list, actually. All of these are probably things people associate with the PlayStation; I'm happy Abe's Odysee and Rayman joining Jumping Flash in Camp Weirdo. Not enough of them really appeal to me to justify picking one up (and I'm getting burned out by the mini console fad, anyway; too many releasing too soon) but it's an okay list. It could be worlds better, of course, but compiling a Best Of for the PSX is sort of difficult. You don't want to just lean in hard on JRPGs exclusively, but a lot of the most iconic games haven't aged very gracefully and those that have aren't going to grab mainstream nostalgia.

The Japanese list looks way better, but I can't fault Sony for not wanting to run SaGa Frontier here. I can understand if licensing made titles like WipeOut XL take a seat, too. The truly criminal absence is Symphony of the Night.
    Also, the lack of Crash Bandicoot is just, like, what? Huh? How? I can't even make sense of that. It's not quite on the level of Nintendo releasing an N64 Classic without Mario 64, but it's close enough to be downright baffling.
    Just cancelled my playstation classic pre-order... only half of this list is any good and most of the games can be played on other consoles. I think that I'll be putting the savings toward an XBOX ONE with true backwards compatibility. I wish Sony would do the same on my PS4. I love my PS4, just don't understand why they don't sell more of the classics there instead of doing this garbage.
    @Neal-Akuma Oh jeez, no Parappa! I hadn't even thought of that. I guess there's the pre-existing issue of that and Umjammer having input lag on HDMI connections, but still... it's sad that it's not included.
    @Vonlenska The current theory is that Activision wouldn't want Crash and Spyro included since they've got their recent remake collections and that could interfere with sales. It's a bummer (I don't care about Crash but I love that first Spyro game), but I guess it makes sense from that point of view.

I'd also rather have Resident Evil 2 than the first RE but that would be a similar issue with the RE2 remake coming out soon.
    @Outrider@Vonlenska Yeah, it's probably also why we didn't see Mega Man 8 or one of the PSone era Mega Man Xs. MediEvil has a remake in the works, and PaRappa has a PS4 remaster. And even if it's not the iconic campy dub everybody remembers, SotN was rereleased in a compilation literally last week.

That said, both Final Fantasy VII and Abe's Oddysee are present even though the former had a remaster and the latter had a remake a few years back.
    @Neal-Akuma Kinda makes you think they'll put out a PS Classic Volume 2 (know with Dualshock!) And to be honest I'd be down for another of these things, not that I'd really expect it.

I'm mixed on the titles announced. Yeah it's missing more than a few headliners, but to be honest Mr. Driller and Intelligent Qube excite me more than half of the absent usual suspects. Still things like Rainbow Six and Persona are real head-scratchers. Of all the PS1 rpgs you could have picked, you go with that awkward thing? Not even Eternal Punishment? Whatever. I'm still a sucker for that era of gaming.

Comments