Please Understand: Nintendo Shutting Down Online Services for Wii and DS

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is coming to an end. Quick, download all those Layton puzzles!

News by Pete Davison, .

It's the end of an era: Nintendo is bringing its Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service to a close on May 20, meaning the end of online functionality for over 60 Wii and DS titles.

It's not a complete shutdown of online services for these systems, however -- the Wii's Shop Channel, the DSi Shop and video-on-demand services are also not affected -- however, it does mean that online play, matchmaking and leaderboards will no longer be accessible in the affected titles, and the Nintendo Video service for 3DS is also set to come to an end on March 31.

Say goodbye to your online friends from Animal Crossing: City Folk -- if they haven't moved to New Leaf already, of course.

Nintendo has a full list of the affected software here. Standout titles include Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS) and City Folk (Wii), which offered similar online play and social features to the more recent 3DS title New Leaf; Dragon Quest IX for DS, which had additional content available online; Mario Kart DS and Wii, both of which had online play and leaderboards; the Professor Layton series, which had downloadable extra puzzles; numerous Pokémon games, which had various online features; and Super Smash Brothers Brawl, which had online play and level-sharing.

In many cases, the affected titles have more recent successors on Wii U or 3DS that offer online functionality, though in some cases -- Mario Kart and Smash Brothers being the most prominent -- these sequels are yet to be released.

Nintendo stresses that offline and local play for these games is unaffected, since the online functionality was at no point used as DRM or a requirement for gameplay. It simply means that you will no longer be able to access Internet-based multiplayer or social options from these games. The only item on the list that will cease to function altogether when the service closes on May 20 of this year is the Wii's chat software Wii Speak. The Wii's Internet and YouTube channels will continue to function, however, since these use the open Internet rather than Nintendo's proprietary online services.

I turned on my Wii the other day and couldn't check the weather. I couldn't even spin the globe!
    @vaterite Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time.
    The DSi Shop shutting down makes me alittle sad. There's some DSi ware I wanted to pick up still for my DSi XL. I don't like to play DS/DSi games on the 3DS because the resolution is all gross. I'm going to have to get some money together and grab all those stray ArtStyle games I've had my eye on quick!
  • Avatar for joevillarosa17 #4 joevillarosa17 4 years ago
    That's a shame. At least this might help them in running the rest of their business.
  • Avatar for ShadowTheSecond #5 ShadowTheSecond 4 years ago
    @cscaskie The article notes that the Wii Shop and DSi shop aren't going offline with this, so don't fret too much. Still, the Art Style games are good stuff
    It isnt that big a deal, you can still play the games.
    Well, I guess I can say goodbye to Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom.
    @cscaskie
    The DSi and Wii shops are not shutting down. This is mostly dealing with in-game online features.
    I almost never played online on the Wii (on one hand the online functionality was very clunky in most games, on the other hand my broadband connection was/is awful), so I suppose I won’t really miss that part much. I’m glad the online shops will still be available though, particularly considering how a good chunk of the Virtual Console is still not available on the Wii U and 3DS.

In any case, with both consoles on the way out, it was going to happen sooner or later. And I think it would be better to focus those resources on improving the online infrastructure for the Wii U and 3DS anyway.
    What a shame: all of DQIX's extra content will be forever walled away. That's a pile of end-game content that expands upon character storylines!
  • Avatar for presidentcamacho #11 presidentcamacho 4 years ago
    I'm not much of an online player, just happy to hear that the Wii-Shop channel is going to stay up for now. Lots of good stuff there I have yet to purchase.
    @TernBird I still haven't beaten DQIX (nowhere close actually). Do I need to hustle to beat it so I can download this content? Edited February 2014 by WebGuyShy
    @WebGuyShy I just realized I'm in the same boat. I played a ton of the coop with friends, but never actually got around to finishing the main game. Might need to up that on my priorities list.
    Oh geez, for a second I didn't realize the headline only referred to the previous-gen systems and was like "Whhaaaaa???". Still mildly disappointing though - maybe I should pop back in a few Layton titles for downloads.
    I'm having trouble remembering what online content for DQIX had character content, though - I remembered it mostly being randomly generated maps and post-game super-bosses, which were great but not exactly plot relevant.
    @Kirinn I believe there were also a number of downloadable quests, from what I gathered. But perhaps they are the superbosses.
    @WebGuyShy You can download it ahead of time. You just won't be able to carry them out in-game unless you trip a few story-flags first.
    But how will I share the awesome Warioware DIY games I was eventually going to get around to making?
    It is time for me to start downloading for all those games then. No time to waste, I was really expecting this to come, thanks for the tip.
    What the F★★★!! Are you kidding me.
    Why would they do that, that's 188 games that there taking away online functions. Five of which I play regularly
    CoD 4 MWR
    CoD Black Ops
    CoD MW3
    Goldeneye 007
    Quantum of Solace
    these games are nothing without online multiplayer. I don't get it, Nintendo just keeps making bad moves. I don't know if there trying to get people to buy the Wii U but from now on im not buying anything that's Nintendo. Unless they change there minds.

Comments