Pokemon and Monster Hunter Make 3DS July's Best-Selling System

The 3DS is riding high before the NX touches down.

News by Mike Williams, .

If you wondering why companies are focused on mobile titles, it's not just because they're cheaper to make. It's also the fact that a successful mobile game can sometimes cause fans to seek out related titles. Case in point, Nintendo has announced that the 3DS was the best-selling console in July, according to NPD Group sales reports. The company cites the launch of Monster Hunter Generations and the Pokemon Go app for the push.

"The strong performance is in part thanks to the release of the Monster Hunter Generations game, continued momentum from the price drop of the Nintendo 2DS system and widespread positive public reception for the Pokémon GO mobile app, which has renewed interest in core Pokémon games on Nintendo systems," said Nintendo in its press release.

The 3DS sold almost 80 percent more than it did during the same period last year, with Monster Hunter Generations as the best-selling game for any system. Pokemon Go mania pushed sales of old Pokemon titles for 3DS way up: Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire's sales were up over 80 percent year-over-year and X/Y were up 200 percent. Those titles came out in November 2014 and October 2013 respectively, so you can see a clear boost. Omega Ruby ended up at number 8 on the software charts, while Alpha Sapphire was number 10, Pokemon X was number 16, and Pokemon Y was number 22.

Pokemon Go pushed the entire franchise into the public mindset again and that vastly helped the sales of past titles. This is what Nintendo is trying to achieve with its current push toward mobile. If the Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing games can do the same for their respective franchises, that's a good thing for Nintendo enthusiasts.

Nintendo wants to use mobile to convert gamers. Not everyone needs a dedicated console, but at least Nintendo can plant the idea via its mobile titles. And with the NX being the company's singular focus, any help is appreciated in making the system a success.

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

I've been a Pokemon fan since the North American release of Pokemon Red and Blue, and even I bought a new Pokemon game after the release of GO. (AlphaSapphire, which I had previously ignored because I was burnt out on Pokemon at the time.) I bought it the same day my friend bought a New 3DS XL with OmegaRuby.
    Just bought Monster Hunter Generations (my first in the series) because I found myself in the happy position to consistently play with three veterans. It's an incredible game. At the same time, Go inspired me to complete the NationalDex for the first time. Marshaling all my PC Boxes from Gen 3 up to the Pokemon Bank was an absurd process, but revisiting my old teams was cathartic and accomplishing the goal felt epic.
    Between the many future hunts with friends, Sun and Moon, and my backlog (Bravely Second, FE Revelations, Planet Robobot and a few indies) I am genuinely considering an upgrade to the $150 new 3DS bundle from my beautiful Link Between Worlds XL system.

I won't, because let's see what the NX is first... but it sure is dangerously close to impulse-buy territory.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #3 brionfoulke91 2 years ago
    That's awesome! I guess Pokemon Go has been a great thing in many ways!
    If I had time I would definitely dip into both Monster Hunter and Pokemon, so I understand perfectly.
    @Roto13 I too saw plenty of kids buying 2DSes for the new Pokemon Game.
    I'm thrilled that people are picking up 3DSes, as I've had a great time with the DS / 3DS. Mine doesn't get that much use at the moment, but it gets an outing every long train or plane trip.

Given that the monsters available in Pokemon Go at the moment are from Gen 1, I hope some folks are motivated to pick up the Red / Blue / Yellow games on Virtual Console. I really like the simplicity of the earlier games, although Leaf Green / Fire Red are the sweet spot for me (fingers crossed they'll also get a re-release).
  • Avatar for davidsmith0271 #7 davidsmith0271 2 years ago
    'Pokémon Go' update explains which monsters are the best check detail here http://attractivereview.com/2016/08/24/pokemon-go-update-explains-which-monsters-are-the-best/
    A Team Leader's 'appraisal' helps you decide which ones to keep -- if you can interpret it.

Comments