As you make your way through Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX and Frosty Forest in particular, you'll be attacked by the legendary ice bird Articuno. We'll explain how to beat Articuno and what tips and weaknesses you can make use of.
On this page:
How to Beat Articuno
Articuno has about the same health as Moltres before them - around 700 - but has a different focus and moveset, more centred around playing defensively. Still, while not easy, this fight should be a little more manageable than Moltres, just because you've had time to level up and train for one or two dungeons since then.
Articuno's Weaknesses and Tips
- Articuno is an Ice/Flying type. They take four times regular damage from Rock attacks, and double damage from Steel, Fire and Electric damage. If you have any Rock Tomb TMs or powerful Rock moves, now is the time to use them.
- Articuno is immune to Ground attacks, and resistant to Bug and Grass moves. Don't use these if you have any other choice.
- Like the other legendary birds, Articuno has the Pressure ability, doubling the use of all enemy PP. Come with elixirs or high-PP attacks prepared. LINK TO ZAPDOS
- Articuno has two separate Ice moves, Ice Shard and Icy Wind, both of which can hit at range. Icy Wind is the more tricky to deal with, as it can slow the target's travel speed.
- Articuno also has the move Mist, which prevents stat changes being made on them. Don't even bother trying to lower their defence or attack, it'll just use Mist and erase that progress. Focus on staying alive and pouring as much damage into it as possible.
Rewards for Defeating Articuno
You do actually get a reward for beating Articuno: a new buddy! Absol, the emo-looking Pokemon you saw as you entered the forest, will appear as the fight's getting dangerous and speak to Articuno on your behalf, placating it. Absol will then join your team for the rest of the game, a level 28 Dark-type with decent stats to boot.