Professor Sharkey's Bad Game Science: Exactly How Big Are Videogame Worlds?

How big are video game worlds, really? Professor Sharkey investigates.

Article by Scott Sharkey, .

• Avatar for Captain-Gonru #1 Captain-Gonru 3 years ago
    Interesting. Though, next time, could you make it a bit more difficult to read? I don't think my eye strain is permanent yet.
    Neat comparison. It always surprises me when I see how small game worlds really are. GTA San Andreas with the fog turned off shows that the entire map is this little thing, with the game building a false sense of scale.
    The reactions box isn't working for me right now, so I shall comment the reaction instead:

Fantastic
    Great article. More Sharkey, ALWAYS. I would, however, like to point out one oversight. If we assume that Pac-Man is 6.0221413 x 10^23 km tall, then the mazes from Namco's arcade classic are far and away the largest video game worlds.
    I always accept game worlds as a sort of shorthand version.
    Interesting comparison. It's surprising to see how small these worlds truly are, but then again, videogames are ultimately a computer simulation. Like a magic trick of sorts, it's about creating the illusion of scale and size within these worlds.
    @kingaelfric Where does that number come from?

Glad to see more Sharkey on the site!
    someone should make a 1080p version of Zelda where the entire world map is one screen, that'd be amusing.

fun fact: panau is smaller than Hong Kong by 100 km, meaning those airplanes are pretty slow...Edited September 2014 by Da_Beerman
    @TotalHenshin -- I just eyeballed Pac-Man for size.
    Always wondered how "big" the GTA cities were in relation to real cities.
  • Avatar for percymercado86 #11 percymercado86 3 years ago
    Deleted October 2014 by jeremy.parish
    OH YES!
    Sharkey is back!
    Please don't leave us again.
    (back to listening to old Snarky Sharkey episodes of Retronauts)
    I think that just goes to show that it's more important how big a game world feels.
    @kingaelfric Good post! You made me want to start doing some math to illustrate just how big Avogadro's number (NA = about 6.02*10^23, defined as the number of atoms in 12 g of Carbon-12) really is.

The speed of light is about 3*10^8 m/s, so a light year is about 9.5*10^12 km. Therefore, if Pac-Man had a diameter of 6.02*10^23 km, his diameter would be 6.4*10^10 or 64 billion light years.

In comparison, the Milky Way galaxy is 100,000 light years in diameter. As far as I can tell, the diameter of the observable universe is estimated to be 93 billion light years. This is weird, because the universe is only estimated to be a little less than 14 billion years old, so you'd think we could only observe light that far out. But supposedly spacetime itself can expand faster than the speed of light and did so shortly after the Big Bang, during something called the inflationary epoch, and other stuff that's over my head.

Anyway, Pac-Man would occupy about 2/3 of the universe, which leads to some weird cosmic implications for the game. Pac-Man is all, and all is Pac-Man. Or Ms. Pac-Man, depending on one's affinity for bows.
    Awesome article, it's things like this that I come to Usgamer for.
    @kingaelfric Are you implying that a Pac-man board is actually a macro representation of the a galaxy, and Pac himself is a Galactus style planet muncher?
  • Avatar for JohnnyBarnstorm #17 JohnnyBarnstorm 3 years ago
    Man. Sharkey needs to make a coffee table book like this. I love it.
    Yay! More proof that Sharkey still lives! Keep it coming.
    Love hearing from Sharkey, even if it is only periodically.
    I would love to see more game worlds inhibit smaller types of places built to scale. Rather than making a whole city that's the size of a neighborhood, build just a fully realized neighborhood where the whole game takes place. Bully is a game that comes to mind where the school campus and town really seemed to be realistically proportioned.
  • Avatar for lethalsilicong5 #21 lethalsilicong5 3 years ago
    good article sharkey!
    This was really an interesting topic and I kinda agree with what you have mentioned here! hospital kuala lumpur
    Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. bikini bresilien
    I appreciated your work very thanks tidy up Website
    baby strollers with high traction rollers should be much safer to use compared to those with plastic wheels** corporate gifts
    I think your blog is getting more and more visitors.`”:,, amergold website

Comments