PS4 is Entering 'Final Phase' of its Life Cycle, Says Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO

New exclusive PlayStation titles promised, including new IP, franchises, and refreshing existing IP.

News by Tom Orry, .

While we were all thinking it, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO John Kodera has actually said it: the PS4 is nearing the end of its life. When that life will end isn't clear, but the Grim Reaper is circling and the PS5 is preparing to make an entrance.

Speaking at Sony IR Day 2018, an event at which Sony shares its short-and-mid-term plans to investors (covered on Twitter by The Wall Street Journal tech reporter Takashi Mochizuki), Kodera effectively got us ready for the PS4 entering its swansong years.

According to Takashi Mochizuki, Kodera told investors that the PS4 is entering the final phase of its life cycle, and this would have a negative impact on the firm. Revenue from membership services (such as PlayStation Plus) would cushion some of that.

This doesn't necessarily mean the PS4 is being phased out soon, so don't start expecting a PS5 announcement at E3 in June. Kodera added that you can expect more exclusive titles for PS platforms and that Sony is beefing up its first-party support. The firm plans to do this by working on new IPs, franchising successful IPs, and refreshing existing IPs. This all sounds promising for the PS5 (and PS VR).

The PlayStation 4 turns five years old this November, and only has two more to go after that to match the life (as the main console) of the PS3. Find out everything there is to know about Sony's next console in our PS5 Everything we Know guide.

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

I feel the system hasn't even really found its feet yet. The amount of good exclusives has been very low (a lot of people seem to be counting PS4/PC releases as exclusives). There's a slew of good stuff coming and usually it's the late era of a console when the good stuff comes but so far as a gaming PC owner, the PS4 really hasn't offered a lot to tempt me away from that platform.
    @retr0gamer I tend to agree. It's not just a matter of exclusives. I don't own a PS4, but generally speaking, its catalog feels way less essential than what the PS3 had at the same point of its life cycle.
    Maybe it's because nowadays we have more remasters and they feel less substantial. Maybe it's because so called "AAA games" have become so bloated and unwieldy to produce. Maybe it's because most indie games don't really need the moderately improved horsepower that this console generation provides.
    In any case, my feeling is that both the PS4 and the XBone are still proving their worth. I don't see the need for just another console generation any time soon, unless they provide something more meaningful than yet another increase in processing power that most developers will struggle to make good use of.
    I agree here. It's been a fine generation, but really it was PC's generation outside of ... Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Bloodborne and Nintendo's work. I don't regret buying my PS4 but it probably is the least used console I've ever owned.
    I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my PS4, but odds are good that I would look into buying a new PC over a PS5 or Xbox Another One. Most of my PS4 purchases are multiplatform and indie stuff, the kinda stuff I'd buy on PC if I had a good one.

Do appreciate how easy and accessible making photos and videos on PS4 is, though. I've gotten lots of mileage out of the SHARE function.
  • Avatar for Cabbage-head-must-di #5 Cabbage-head-must-di 5 months ago
    That's surprising, I was kinda hoping for longer system cycles like the 360/PS3/Wii era. I guess that was a fluke. Oh well, time to pour all my love and affection on the switch.
  • Avatar for Fourfoldroot #6 Fourfoldroot 5 months ago
    Yes, but the final phase looks like lasting a couple of years.
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #7 SuperShinobi 5 months ago
    Well, it's ambiguously put, but at least two things are known with certainty: 1) next-gen consoles are coming eventually, 2) This year there will be no Sony hardware announcements at E3.

It would be exciting to get the PS5 as soon as Q4 2019 and perhaps sooner than expected, as that's only 18 months from now. On the other hand, a Q4 release the next year would be fine too. In that case the PS4, which is now in its peak, could keep its status as the current-gen console longer, which is something it arguably deserves.

Good to hear also that they are investing increasingly into first-party IPs. Their first-party output this gen has been stellar.Edited May 2018 by SuperShinobi
    Mmm... One of those tweets seems to imply that they expect the "twilight years" of the PS4 to last until 2021.

So are they planning to release the PS5 until 2021?
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #9 LBD_Nytetrayn 5 months ago
    Right now, "PlayStation 5" hurts my ears and brain.
    They have no reason to rush development of the PS5 because they are in the lead. They can afford to wait to see what the other companies do first. The longer developers have to work without dealing with changing hardware requirements, the better the games are overall. Being in the lead also means they don't need 500 billion exclusives, just a few big ones like Bloodborne, Uncharted(s), The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona(s), Yakuza(s), God of War(s), etc. (plus several other games also found on PC like Nier: Automata, Nioh, Street Fighter V, etc.).

Comments