PUBG Drops Lawsuit Against Fortnite

PUBG Drops Lawsuit Against Fortnite

Will this end the arguing between the pair for good?

A battle that began in September 2018, with PUBG developer Bluehole slamming Epic's Fortnite over copying elements of gameplay, may have finally drawn to a close today. After Bluehole initially filed a lawsuit against Epic back in January, the company has today decided to withdraw the lawsuit.

In a report from Bloomberg earlier today on June 27, PUBG Corp. (a Bluehole subsidiary) has decided to withdraw the lawsuit against Epic. At the time of writing, there has been no reason given by PUBG Corp. for pulling out of the lawsuit, and it's also not known whether a settlment has been instead reached outside of court.

The lawsuit from PUBG Corp. originally sought damaged from Epic, for alledgedly stealing ideas that PUBG had first. PUBG was hardly the one to begin the concept of the Battle Royale however, so it was puzzling to see the lawsuit filed. PUBG even appeared to take a leaf out of Fortnite's book this past week, introducing a 'battle pass' of sorts, along with daily and weekly challenges.

Since launching a Battle Royale mode for Fortnite last year, Epic has had massive success with the new, free mode. It was recently reported that Fortnite earned Epic $300 million in May 2018 alone, and Fortnite Season 5 has just been announced for release next.

We assume that the withdrawal of the lawsuit by PUBG Corp. has finally closed the arguing between them and Epic, but we'll have to wait and see to find out for certain.

Hirun Cryer

Staff Writer

Hirun Cryer is by far the most juvenile member of USgamer. He's so juvenile, that this is his first full-time job in the industry, unlike literally every other person featured on this page. He's written for The Guardian, Paste Magazine, and Kotaku, and he likes waking up when the sun rises and roaming the nearby woods with the bears and the wolves.

Related articles

Stardew Valley Just Got Beaches, Fish Tanks, Swimming Ducks, and a Whole Lot More

Nearly five years on, Eric "ConcernedApe" Barone just pushed what he says is Stardew's "biggest update yet."

Alien: Isolation Is Free on Epic and Just As Good as It Was in 2014

Get the motion tracker and don't go in the vents.

Shigeru Miyamoto Expresses Confidence in the Younger Generation of Nintendo

The legendary creator says the spirit will stay alive.

You may also like

Press Start to Continue

A look back on what we tried to accomplish at USgamer, and the work still to be done.

Mat's Farewell | The Truth Has Not Vanished Into Darkness

This isn't the real ending, is it? Can't be.

Eric's Farewell | Off to Find a New Challenger

It's time for us to move on, but we'll carry USG with us wherever we go.