The PUBG Xbox May Update is available now. Improved performance and the new Miramar map are the headline features for the PUBG Xbox May Update, but players will also see numerous other fixes and additions.
PUBG on Xbox One (across all three variants of the console) has suffered from performance issues since day one, so news of performance upgrades is great. The May Update brings a new predictive-based loading system, which uses data acquired over time to optimize and stabilize gameplay. Although Miramar is new, improvements to performance should also be seen on the original Erangel map.
Speaking of Miramar, while the May Update for PUBG Xbox is available now, the new map won't launch until May 24 00:00 PDT / May 24 09:00 CEST. The Miramar map has been in testing on Xbox for a number of weeks. PUBG on Xbox is still in Game Preview (the Xbox equivalent of Steam Early Access), having released on December 12, 2017.
PUBG Xbox May Update Patch Notes
The full PUBG Xbox May Update patch notes can be found on the official PUBG site, but we've got a slightly summarised version for you just below.
Optimization / Stabilization
- The free-fall and parachuting process has been optimized, leading to performance improvements during the initial stages of each game.
- The world loading process has been optimized, allowing buildings and their interiors to load simultaneously and reducing the overall rendering time.
- The handling of resources for unseen nearby characters’ movements has been optimized to improve performance of the game.
- Handling resources of equipping and unequipping items of unseen nearby characters have been optimized to improve performance during the early game and to reduce the likelihood of crashes
- Character inventory loading has been optimized, improving response time when opening inventory and reducing crashing.
- Unoccupied vehicles/boats have been optimized to increase the overall performance of the game.
- New map, ‘Miramar’ has been added.
- R45 is a revolver handgun which is available as world spawn
- The Win 94 is a lever-action rifle
- The sawed-off is a small shotgun
- A recolored version of the Ghillie suit has been added
- The mini bus is a six-seater on-road vehicle, available on Miramar only.
- The pick-up truck is a four-seater off-road vehicle, available on Miramar only.
- The motorbike and buggy have new skins on Miramar
- Emotes have been added. Emote UI will show up if you press the LB+RB buttons at the same time. Choose an emote with the right analog stick and press down with the R stick to use the selected emote.
- Expanded all scopes’ field of view
- Added a parallax effect when moving weapons quickly while ADS
- Added vignetting (darker edges), chromatic aberration (color difference caused by light refraction), and a distortion effect on the edge of scopes
- Aim acceleration can now be turned off in settings.
- Setting menu has been specially improved for Xbox platform.
- Colorblind mode and other modes that could help the gameplay have been added.
- We’ve removed the grenade’s knockback effect for player characters when dealing non-lethal damage (if players are killed by a grenade, they’ll still be knocked back)
- Added new grenade hit effects and animations
- ‘Key legends’ function has been added for gameplay controls. It can be turned off in settings.
- Lobby loading screen is now more clean.
- Matchmaking can be started in the PLAY menu after selecting the game mode.
- Map selection will be added soon
- Matchmaking UI has been improved, allowing more pleasant entrance into the game.
- REWARDS menu has been changed to STORE menu.
- Game option settings can now be popped up.
- Leaderboard display method has been modified, allowing users below certain ranks to see their ranks in percentage.
- Lobby UI overall has been improved.
- Fixed an issue causing punching to slow down movement while sprinting
- In spectator mode, water sounds sometimes inappropriately continued after changing perspective. This has now been fixed
- When preparing to throw grenades, the projection visualization no longer inappropriately penetrates through objects
- You can now freelook while automatically swimming forward in water
- Sights should no longer become blocked while in ADS position after attaching high-magnification scopes
- Fixed an issue preventing some teammates’ map markers from showing on the compass
- Fixed some problems preventing interacting pop-ups from functioning properly in certain situations
- Fixed the problem preventing players from changing seats in vehicles
- Fixed the problem wherein turning off BGM in the lobby setting window didn’t work
- There was a bug causing players to sometimes get stuck in a leaning position (caused by going prone while leaning). This is now fixed.