Update: The Tetris Company has confirmed that the reason behind a lack of digital release for the PlayStation 4 version is an exclusive license.
"A downloadable version of Puyo Puyo Tetris is not available for PS4 because The Tetris Company currently has an exclusive license with another partner for PS4 downloads," a spokesperson for the Tetris Company told USgamer.
Sega announced today that Puyo Puyo Tetris will be coming to the Americas on April 25 and in Europe on April 28. The game will be coming for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. The PlayStation 4 version will be physical only for $29.99, while the Switch version will be available in digital and physical editions for $29.99 and $39.99 respectively.
Word on the street is the lack of digital edition is down to a Tetris Company rule of not having competing versions of the game on the same platform. Tetris Ultimate from Ubisoft is already on the PlayStation Store, so no digital version of Puyo Puyo Tetris for PS4 owners. I've reached out to the Tetris Company and Sega for clarification.
Regardless, you're getting a fully-localized version of Puyo Puyo Tetris on two platforms. The last North American release in the series was Puyo Pop Fever for GameCube and DS in 2004. Count your blessings.
Puyo Puyo Tetris has a full Adventure mode and Solo Arcade mode for play against the CPU. There's also a host of multiplayer modes, including:
- Versus - Players compete head-to-head in either Puyo Puyo or Tetris to fight in the puzzle fight of their life.
- Swap - Players' abilities are put to the ultimate test when they compete on both Puyo Puyo and Tetris boards, which switch back and forth at set intervals.
- Fusion - A true hybrid game where players compete with Puyos and Tetriminos together on the same board, requiring deft, on-the-fly thinking to become victorious.
- Big Bang - It's a race to the finish as players compete against each other to clear unique challenge boards as quickly as possible to win.
- Party - Players compete on Puyo or Tetris boards, but the puzzles feature special items that when activated either help players or harm their opponents.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.