Red Dead Redemption 2 has become the second highest-grossing entertainment launch of all time, according to a statement released by Rockstar Games. Its opening three days on sale, with over $725 million in worldwide retail sell-through, has only been beaten by Rockstar's own GTA 5.
In case you were wondering how successful Red Dead Redemption 2 has been, the answer is "very successful". Rockstar and Sony released the following sales benchmarks:
- Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases (GTA 5 released on a Tuesday, Red Dead 2 released on a Friday)
- Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases
- Biggest entertainment launch of 2018
- Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network
- Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network
- Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network
Red Dead Redemption 2 earned much praise from critics, including our own Red Dead Redemption 2 review. Numerous reports prior to the game's release shed light on 'crunch' work practices at multiple Rockstar Games studios, with many staff seemingly working an unhealthy number of hours each week for sustained periods of time.