Famously useful and famously deadly, the grenade launcher is a classic weapon in Resident Evil 3, able to blow apart enemies in a single shot. In this guide we'll explain where to get the M2 Grenade Launcher and how it's best used.
On this page:
- How to Get the M2 Grenade Launcher in Resident Evil 3
- Where to Find the Grenade Launcher
- How to Use the Grenade Launcher
How to Get the M2 Grenade Launcher in Resident Evil 3
The grenade launcher is found in the Sewers, accessible (though not easily), opening up after you have to lure Nemesis from the subway survivors. It's found in an office safe room in the lower-right hand corner of the map.
Where to Find the Grenade Launcher
Below we'll give you a step-by-step guide to make it to the grenade launcher, assuming you're starting from the Manager's Office safe room at the entrance to the Sewers, where you uncover the area map.
- Leaving the safe room, turn left and head down the corridor until you reach a sewage river.
- Go down into the stream and walk with the flow of sewage. You'll slide down a slope into a wider pipe.
- Go straight ahead, ignoring the ladder and the branching paths, and follow the curve of the stream to the left.
- Here you'll encounter the monstrous Hunter Gammas for the first time, huge, vaguely amphibian monsters that charge at you with open mouths. Their thick hides are immune to bullets, but you can shoot down their mouths to damage and stagger them.
- Past the Gammas the pipe ends, with a short ladder on the left.
- Go up the ladder and through the door to enter the second office.
- This is its own safe room, with the grenade launcher on the right, resting on a barrel.
How to Use the Grenade Launcher
The Grenade Launcher is big enough to take up two separate slots in your inventory, and can be equipped with Flame, Acid and Explosive Rounds (which we've a guide on crafting here) as well as Mine Rounds which explode when enemies get close to them. You can swap between any ammo types you have with the L1/Left Shoulder button, but all of these do huge damage to enemies. You'll start with two Flame Rounds, which are very effective against the Gammas you passed on the way here.
S.T.A.R.S. above, we've got a lot of Resident Evil content here at USG! You can check out Caty's review of the RE3 remake here, or take a look at Hirun's piece on how Nemesis is designed to deal with sneaky trolls.