Retro Rumored to be Working on Star Fox Racing Game

The quick brown fox makes the lazy dog eat dirt.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

It's E3 season, which means the rumor mill is spinning like a greased dreidel. Here's the weirdest bit of hearsay to come down the pipe yet: Retro Game Studios, the developer behind the Metroid Prime trilogy, is reportedly working on a Star Fox racing game spin-off.

The rumor solidified over the weekend thanks in part to "leaks" on 4chan and Reddit, where redditor DasVergeben (who's reported on rumors before) writes the game is "something like Diddy Kong Racing mixed with F-Zero essentially. But more like F-Zero gameplay. It will have an adventure mode of some kind (think Diddy Kong Racing) and there will be some boss fights and a hub world like it too.

"It is called Star Fox Grand Prix."

"Blurry title graphics scribbled on a cocktail napkin" are all we have to go on for now.

While you might understandably be tempted to chuck this rumor straight into the Pre-E3 Poppycock trash bin, note Eurogamer news editor Tom Phillips admits whispers about Retro's Star Fox racing game have been drifting in the ether for a little while now. He's not the only one who's heard the rumblings. A source familiar with the details says "Star Fox Grand Prix" is a name that's been going around secretly for some time.

Retro's not handling Metroid Prime 4, which gives the studio time to work on something else. Retro is a talented studio; Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a good reminder it's a strong developer outside the 3D adventure genre. And if a Star Fox racing game just sounds too outlandish to work, remember it was around this time last year when everyone thought the rumored idea of a Mario and Rabbids cross-over was too stupid to possibly exist.

Assuming these rumors are true, I have some mixed feelings about them. On the one hand, it would be good to know that Star Fox wasn't shelved again after the relatively poor reception that Star Fox Zero got.

On the other hand, a racing spin-off is probably the last thing anyone in the Fandom wanted (although if you know your Star Fox lore, it kind of fits with the universe of the franchise).

And if the gameplay is similar to F-Zero it also begets the question: Why not make a new F-Zero game to begin with?
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #3 donkeyintheforest 5 months ago
    Oh my goodness I would be so down with this. I imagine it to basically be Vs. Death Star Trench Run the game. Would be wonderful. Maybe it will be like Red Planet or like Beam Breakers?

Skydrift is pretty good, but I think Star Fox has the potential to have a more diverse amount of maps. Also it would be fun to bring in a few characters from other Nintendo franchises like they've done with Mario Kart (Groose on a Mecha-Loftwing, Mario in the plane from Mario Land, etc).
    We wanted a new F-Zero and a new (san wonky controls) Star Fox... so they're giving us a Furry cart racer?

I mean it is Nintendo, so that makes sense.
  • Avatar for LunarFlame17 #5 LunarFlame17 5 months ago
    I’m tempted to be a bit down on this, but then I remember that everybody complained when the rumors came out that Retro was making a first-person Metroid game, and it turned out to be one of the best games of all time, so I’m definitely willing to be cautiously optimistic about this. Besides, Retro hasn’t made a bad game yet.
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #6 SuperShinobi 5 months ago
    Sounds pretty good to me. I like F-Zero, racing games in general, Star Fox and the idea of a racing game adventure. On paper at least It sounds like a big mash-up of things I'm into.
    Well, that's one of the weirder rumors I've heard. I'm not sure this is anything Star Fox fans would be looking for, nor fans of the seemingly-defunct F-Zero. Maybe it'll be good, though, who knows? Assuming it's real, of course.
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #8 SuperShinobi 5 months ago
    @SargeSmash

Star Fox Zero got 69% on Metacritic and Star Fox Assault 67% and they both flopped, so I think another old-school rail shooter Star Fox game is quite unlikely. A new mainline F-Zero could have more potential, provided a suitable developer can be found for it. Sega made the most recent F-Zero game.

Star Fox especially and also F-Zero would need a shake-up and some innovation if they are to be revived. That's why I think this offbeat idea sounds interesting.
    Star Fox seems to be one of those series where, rather than repeating a successful formula, each new title gets its own massive flaw. "Starfox... on foot!" "Starfox... with bad controls!" "Starfox... the kart racer!" Maybe Fox's old pals Shadow and Biggs the Cat will make an appearance.
    Can I see Nintendo basically spitting in the faces of the fans of two of its IP at once?

Absolutely. Do I fully believe it no.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #11 Tetragrammaton 5 months ago
    Wasn't James McCloud in F-Zero? This absolutely checks out.

I'll reserve judgment until there's actual news with sources, and or gameplay. Until then I'm feeding myself on the reactions I'm seeing elsewhere.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #12 LBD_Nytetrayn 5 months ago
    So maybe the prophecy is coming true?

If so, dibs on Falco! Edited May 2018 by LBD_Nytetrayn
    @SuperShinobi I'm always into the offbeat ideas, but I think the problem with Assault and Zero wasn't the style of game though, they just had very major hurdles that got in the way of the fun. Zero has the controls which make it a chore to return to. Yes you get used to them after like 4 or 5 hours, but that's also about how long a run through these games should be at most.

And for Assault, anything outside of the Arwing was clunky and had a terrible camera, especially on foot. Yes, the games flopped but I think it's less of a problem with the style of the game and more of a problem of not properly implementing the ideas they have for them. Both had very major issues that to me signal that it wasn't a problem with the style of game.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #14 Godots17thCup 5 months ago
    This is not the first thing, or really anywhere remotely on the list of things, I would've expected Retro Studios to be working on (assuming this turns out to be true, which is looking pretty likely), but given Retro's track record, they've completely earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

Bring on some weird-ass Fox McCloud racing action.
    @LBD_Nytetrayn Yep, that was exactly what crossed my mind when reading this.

Comments