You asked for it, so here it is: another Retronauts Micro mixtape.
Truth be told, I try to avoid obvious topics with these podcasts, which is why the last music-focused Micro I put together featured the sounds of SNES SimCity. And while you’ve likely heard a few of this episode’s songs before, they fall into a somewhat unsung category of RPG music: town themes. Many great ones exist to choose from, but since they’re really not designed to stand out, the music you hear between dungeon diving and world mapping often goes forgotten. So, for this episode, I’ve decided to specifically shine the spotlight on my favorite 16-bit RPG town music.
That’s all for this preamble. Sit back, relax, and get ready to soak up some soothing songs from great RPGs. And if you need a reminder about the tracks I’ve chosen, check out the listing below.
- "Seaside Town" - Super Mario RPG - Yoko Shimomura
- "Twoson" - EarthBound - Keiichi Suzuki, Hip Tanaka
- "Kids Run Through the City Corner" - Final Fantasy VI - Nobuo Uematsu
- "City" - Shining Force - Masahiko Yoshimura
- "Hometown" - Terranigma - Miyoko Takaoka, Masanori Hikichi
- My Rural Town - Treasure Hunter G - Hitoshi Sakimoto